IGNORED

The next 4 games

harvey54

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the quality is in the ability to make it difficult for your opponent.  A lot of sides are much of a muchness defence and midfield.  The better sides invariably gave that bit extra in attacking positions.  There are a lot of very good players in this division.

It's trickle down effect from the Prem. A lot of the players in the Championship would have been in the Prem 10-15 years ago. With the influx of top foreign players coming in , it pushes good players down the pecking order and the Championship reaps the benefit. Teams are stronger and some really good players playing regularly in the 2nd tier.

18 minutes ago, tommy32 said:

I base this on no fact or analysis whatsoever but I think being away from the Gate for a few weeks may take some pressure off the manager and players and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up 4 points 

Hands-Fingers-Crossed.jpg

21 minutes ago, samo II said:

Frankly, I'd be genuinly pleased with four, regardless how they come.

Staying in touch before our run of three out of four at home in March is key.

Is looking like a season where we'll need more than the average of 45 points to stay up (probably 48), so need about a point a game  for me.

If, somehow we get 4 points then that could be a massive boost for the up coming home games. We could win 3 out of 4 in March but then, we may need to.

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Derby, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa.

All away.

Am I the only person who can't see where the next point is coming from?

Villa I could see us getting a point. I watched them up there a month or so ago with a villa supporting mate. They are pretty poor it has to be said. As poor as us? Probably not but I wouldn't be surprised if we got something there

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

All away.

If we play like we did against Wednesday, we've got a chance of something against Leeds and Derby.

Unfortunately I cannot see anything against Newcastle and Villa!

However if we play like yesterday, then we will lose all four without a doubt. He cannot start Pack and Hegeler together again!

1 hour ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Derby have lost 3 in 5, Aston Villa if you take away the name and the history are only 14th in the league.  Blackburn and Wolves beat Newcastle at home. Sorry, don't have any positives for the Leeds game, we never win there and they have a fantastic team.

a win at leeds it is then!

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If, somehow we get 4 points then that could be a massive boost for the up coming home games. We could win 3 out of 4 in March but then, we may need to.

I'll be honest; even with my disillusionment with the current coaching regime, I could see us getting something from one or two of these games.

Derby away has the added factor that before that they have a replay against bitter rivals Leicester in the FA Cup on Tuesday; I anticipate them putting out a pretty strong side there, and a loss would mean they would have only won four from ten, with one of those in the Cup.  But I anticipate them to still be strong; I'd be happy with a point.

Watching Leeds today, I think they will have far too much all over the pitch for us to compete with, so don't see us getting anything out of them at all - happy to be proven wrong.

Newcastle; don't fancy us getting a sniff there, unfortunately.

Villa... well, watching them defend yesterday gave me some hope, as was less than impressed by Forest but they got in and caused trouble regularly, so maybe there is something to be gained there.  Also didn't realise they've now not won a game since Boxing Day, and lie only five points ahead of us.  They have Newcastle and Derby in the two games leading up to our visit, so maybe (just maybe) it'll be a good time to play them.

Four points would be an excellent return; I'd take two/thee just as it would mean we don't come back to the Gate on another appalling run,

For context; if we get nothing from the next four, we'll have 13 games left, and just 31 points; over the last five seasons, the third bottom sides have gone down with 40, 41, 44, 54, 40* (*with a ten point deduction; Barnsley had 48 above them) - we'd need a bare, bare minimum of nine from 13 then (probably closer to 12-13), which would be a massive increase in points return for us, so anything at all from the next four is vital.

1 hour ago, tommy32 said:

I base this on no fact or analysis whatsoever but I think being away from the Gate for a few weeks may take some pressure off the manager and players and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up 4 points 

Reasonable point 

:fingerscrossed:

or if you are right , Four very reasonable points !

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

I'll be honest; even with my disillusionment with the current coaching regime, I could see us getting something from one or two of these games.
Derby away has the added factor that before that they have a replay against bitter rivals Leicester in the FA Cup on Tuesday; I anticipate them putting out a pretty strong side there, and a loss would mean they would have only won four from ten, with one of those in the Cup.  But I anticipate them to still be strong; I'd be happy with a point.
Watching Leeds today, I think they will have far too much all over the pitch for us to compete with, so don't see us getting anything out of them at all - happy to be proven wrong.

Newcastle; don't fancy us getting a sniff there, unfortunately.
Villa... well, watching them defend yesterday gave me some hope, as was less than impressed by Forest but they got in and caused trouble regularly, so maybe there is something to be gained there.  Also didn't realise they've now not won a game since Boxing Day, and lie only five points ahead of us.  They have Newcastle and Derby in the two games leading up to our visit, so maybe (just maybe) it'll be a good time to play them.
Four points would be an excellent return; I'd take two/thee just as it would mean we don't come back to the Gate on another appalling run,

For context; if we get nothing from the next four, we'll have 13 games left, and just 31 points; over the last five seasons, the third bottom sides have gone down with 40, 41, 44, 54, 40* (*with a ten point deduction; Barnsley had 48 above them) - we'd need a bare, bare minimum of nine from 13 then (probably closer to 12-13), which would be a massive increase in points return for us, so anything at all from the next four is vital.

I'm beginning to think it's too late for change already, should have made the change at least a game before the record was achieved .
Another perspective (and really I can't see more than 1 point from the run of 4);

Leeds, can't see anything. Villa, hit and miss so with luck and Kodjia having an off day 1 point. Derby, whatever their form we don't do well there 0 points. Newcastle are hit and miss and the crowd can be a plus or minus. With luck 1 point. That haul would probably see us in the drop zone, that could scare SL but would there be any point of appointing a man to keep us up, then being in the same position next year. I'm not sure a manager with the potential to help us preogress , would actually see us as a good option at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

So what is the minimum points haul required over these games for the chosen one to stay in his job?

I think he's here for the foreseeable, come hell or high water now.

I'd be lying if I felt this was the right choice, but it is what it is - better just get on.

My only hope is something 'clicks', and we suddenly pick up form to get us out of trouble, and as mentioned above; that means four points from the next four games in order to keep us competitive with the other teams around the bottom.  Be very happy with that return, even if we play like a pub team getting it. 

We get nothing from the next four and that would mean we've taken just 11 points from 60 available over 20 matches, stretching back to Blackburn at home - at win which put us into 6th place after 14 games.  I can't see that being a situation where we would escape relegation from (and I think nothing from the next four will leave us in the drop zone), and I think we'd be preparing for League One again, and I think LJ would stay till the summer, they get the hook.

20 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

So what is the minimum points haul required over these games for the chosen one to stay in his job?

Points are a bit irrelevant, but position is key. Once we are in the bottom three he is in trouble, job wise and pay-off wise.

(Well that's what I've been told from a source within! True or not? :dunno:)

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm beginning to think it's too late for change already, should have made the change at least a game before the record was achieved 

Yeah, I think the time for making a change to impact this season has gone - after Forest, I felt that if he was unable to get us up for a game against an equally shite team, even with impressive new players through the door, then it was time to give someone else a crack.  But due to his surviving that week, and the further subsequent investment in players (plus SL's media blitz), I've resigned myself to the fact that for good or for ill, he's going nowhere.

All that means is that I truly hope he turns it completely around, and this time net year we'll do a Huddersfield, and be playing cracking football up the top of this league.  I'd be so happy for both us an him were that to happen, and sincerely hope it does.

However, the opposite prospect to that of the squad being stripped of quality, and having to rebuild in League One again, despite all the investment both in players and infrastructure, doesn't bare thinking about.  And if that happened, I'd never ever forgive LJ for absolutely blowing what could have been one of the most important periods in recent history, and he'd own every aspect of our failure this year, including the utter shame of the record losing run - that would be his legacy for me; of abject failure.  

So, no pressure on him to turn this around or anything...

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

All away.

ok, as I see no one is expecting anything from these next 4 games.

to me that is to our advantage, we can go gung ho and  any points are a bonus.

I would pick the same team to play the same formation for the next 4 games, let the players get used to each other.

gieffer

mags                        flint                    wright

cotteral wb                                                                                                    byan wb

brownhil                          haggler

reid

tammy                  djuric.

I think these four games could be good for us. Let me explain. Look at it from the other teams’ point of view, they are playing at home against a team who have recently been on a terrible run and they are no doubt expected to win. Some of them have been a little shaky too lately and so their natives are restless. The pressure is all on them. They are playing against a team with many unknowns due to our new signings, a team that we know should be playing better, but the opposition fans are unlikely to think this.

Then look at our team, no doubt they are relieved at stopping a losing run and getting a win. We have all seen that confidence has been low and the last two results, especially a clean sheet, must have helped. Then you have the fact that it is away. Well our team have just played in front of home fans that have booed them. No doubt the majority of those fans were booing at LJ, but how do you think a team who are tired from three games in basically a week, who know their game is not flowing as it should, are being mocked by chants of “You don’t know what you’re doing?” How is playing away going to be worst than that? The team have probably gained a siege mentality after that, perfect for a run of away games. Especially as we finally have a captain worthy of the name. Our team knew that Rotherham was a must win game and this no doubt effected their nerves; yet now they have to play two teams who were in the premiership last season. The pressure is on the opponents. Maybe, just maybe, this will help our team play with a bit more freedom, gel a bit.

Taylor and Djuric to start too, hopefully. Let the new signings energy and confidence help.

I’m not saying it will end well, but it could work in our favour.

4 hours ago, Bobfish said:

I think these four games could be good for us. Let me explain. Look at it from the other teams’ point of view, they are playing at home against a team who have recently been on a terrible run and they are no doubt expected to win. Some of them have been a little shaky too lately and so their natives are restless. The pressure is all on them. They are playing against a team with many unknowns due to our new signings, a team that we know should be playing better, but the opposition fans are unlikely to think this.

Then look at our team, no doubt they are relieved at stopping a losing run and getting a win. We have all seen that confidence has been low and the last two results, especially a clean sheet, must have helped. Then you have the fact that it is away. Well our team have just played in front of home fans that have booed them. No doubt the majority of those fans were booing at LJ, but how do you think a team who are tired from three games in basically a week, who know their game is not flowing as it should, are being mocked by chants of “You don’t know what you’re doing?” How is playing away going to be worst than that? The team have probably gained a siege mentality after that, perfect for a run of away games. Especially as we finally have a captain worthy of the name. Our team knew that Rotherham was a must win game and this no doubt effected their nerves; yet now they have to play two teams who were in the premiership last season. The pressure is on the opponents. Maybe, just maybe, this will help our team play with a bit more freedom, gel a bit.

Taylor and Djuric to start too, hopefully. Let the new signings energy and confidence help.

I get it. If our well paid heroes fail to step up ,this month could be woeful, personally I have a feeling they will step up to the mark and beyond and coupled with the pressure of our hosts infront of an expected crowd it might not be gloom and doom. But hey wtf do I know . Keep it real . 

5 hours ago, Bobfish said:

Condensed version:  we're crap ergo we might surprise them.

Archived