IGNORED

Well, Whats Geiffer like ?

DT The Optimist

Lucky me,  I have just returned from a few weeks away on hols, and not seen our new Keeper in Action.   Arrived home this morning.  I have checked some older threads and seen one saying no left peg, in fact awful.

Have we signed another lemon or will this bloke come good.   Will FF displace him,  is he commanding  in his area, which is what I expected ??

What I read  on line , what I was expecting ,  hoping for,  another Jan Moller type from the 80's.  Seems not to be the case ?  Is he better than FF :facepalm:

Erm, his left foot is clearly just for standing on. 

His commanding of the box is yet to be seen for someone of his size. 

Not sure hes showing too much promise of being any kind of upgrade yet but hopefully a few games of extra sharpness will see the best of him for us. 

29 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Lucky me,  I have just returned from a few weeks away on hols, and not seen our new Keeper in Action.   Arrived home this morning.  I have checked some older threads and seen one saying no left peg, in fact awful.

Have we signed another lemon or will this bloke come good.   Will FF displace him,  is he commanding  in his area, which is what I expected ??

What I read  on line , what I was expecting ,  hoping for,  another Jan Moller type from the 80's.  Seems not to be the case ?  Is he better than FF :facepalm:

Very poor on his left foot BUT was safe in the other aspects yesterday tbf. Not that Rotherham peppered him mind.

Remember he was badly injured and has now played more games in a week than in 2 years. He has had a couple of dodgy kicks but I think he has been assured. He has good presence in goal and far better distribution than Fielding. Need to judge him at the end of the season. I think all our new signings have done well and I liked what I saw of Taylor... he looks very promising indeed...

3 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Remember he was badly injured and has now played more games in a week than in 2 years. He has had a couple of dodgy kicks but I think he has been assured. He has good presence in goal and far better distribution than Fielding. Need to judge him at the end of the season. I think all our new signings have done well and I liked what I saw of Taylor... he looks very promising indeed...

Yep, and he did come for a couple of crosses yesterday. With luck it's a confidence building thing, more games the better he gets.

I thought he was lacking in confidence against Sheff Wed. Not surprising considering that he hasn't had much game time. He didn't have a lot to do yesterday but didn't fill me with confidence with the ball at his feet (although why do our players put our keepers under pressure with unnecessary pass backs?) I'm sure he will come good but doesn't necessarily look any better than what we had yet.

I wonder if our goalkeeper coaches know how to kick a football?  They certainly don't teach it!

Geifer didn't have much to do yesterday so hard to judge.  Nevertheless, I hope that Fielding doesn't get another chance as that means Geifer has really screwed up.

The funny thing is I think our best goalkeeper this season played yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was for the opposition.

ROD made some fine saves and kicked the ball accurately.

Vs Sheffield Wednesday, he looked like some competition winner who was given a game in goal for the first time in his life! Really concerning. 

Yesterday he didn't have much to do. His handling from crossed looked comfortable enough. 

As someone says above, the next 4 games will tell us a lot more about him. I'm not convinced yet though. 

We need to remember he hasn't played a lot due to injury. Correct me if I'm wrong but was he schalkes number 1 before his injury? I'm sorry but if he was good enough for one of the bundesligas top sides then he's more than good enough for us.

He has looked shaky and his kicking was a little woeful yesterday but he's joined a side in a relegation battle where confidence is low and will invenitably be effected by this.

Im sure after a few games (and results pick up) we will hopefully have a top keeper.

10 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I wonder if our goalkeeper coaches know how to kick a football?  They certainly don't teach it!

Geifer didn't have much to do yesterday so hard to judge.  Nevertheless, I hope that Fielding doesn't get another chance as that means Geifer has really screwed up.

The funny thing is I think our best goalkeeper this season played yesterday.  Unfortunately, it was for the opposition.

ROD made some fine saves and kicked the ball accurately.

..... although Rotherham fans might have wished he tipped Paterson's shot over rather than palmed it to where Taylor and Djuric were lurking! ;)

Hell of a powerful shot TBF to O'Donnell.

18 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

We need to remember he hasn't played a lot due to injury. Correct me if I'm wrong but was he schalkes number 1 before his injury? I'm sorry but if he was good enough for one of the bundesligas top sides then he's more than good enough for us.

He has looked shaky and his kicking was a little woeful yesterday but he's joined a side in a relegation battle where confidence is low and will invenitably be effected by this.

Im sure after a few games (and results pick up) we will hopefully have a top keeper.

Was Fotuna Dusseldorf's regular 'net minder' in 13/14 season, but only played cup games for Schalke.  Hasn't really played since the season we were managed by SOD and Cotts!

3 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Ha oh god I couldn't have been more wrong!

Thats worrying...ok he's shite.

I just rely on Transfermarkt website before I quote stats....I'm not as sad as some on here....I think :P

Lucic was supposedly Neuer's no2, when in reality he was 3rd choice, appearing on the bench a few times.

These German keepers (yes I know Lucic is Austrian) come with the dodgiest back catalogues ever :P

I've seen him at Burnley and the two home games, the thing that struck me is that he likes to stay on his feet. Not so keen to do the diving, getting down low type saves. I guess he just looks match rusty which is understandable as that's what he is. Hard to expect him to come here and be brilliant, but equally difficult to have to bed in a new keeper at this stage of the season and in our situation. 

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Ha oh god I couldn't have been more wrong!

Thats worrying...ok he's shite.

He made his Bundesliga debut aged 19 for Bayer Leverkusen, was wanted by Bayern Munich to be understudy to Neuer, but chose matchtime instead and moved to Dusseldorf where he was ever-present in the top flight in 2012/13 at age 22/23. You don't get to do that if you're no good.

He does look lacking in confidence and poor on his left foot. However, the confidence thing is to be expected after practically a year out of the game and now playing in a different style of football with players he doesn't know. Just think back to how ropey De Gea looked when he first came to England.

I'm not saying Giefer will turn out to be as good as De Gea, just that it's probably too early to reach a verdict ... and that his track record would suggest he's not bad.

Archived