IGNORED

Swinging Both Ways ...

The Original OTIB

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

A good article. 

My old man was also born during WW2 in Filton so should have been a gashead. His family moved to Bedminster shortly after and he grew up on the terraces (where the Atyeo now stands in the legendary crackers corner) with his dad.

He was City til the day he went and when he was admitted to Southmead in his final weeks, his first comment to me and my husband was "can you smell it?" "Smell what Dad?" I replied. "The Gas! We're in gashead territory now!" he joked.

So I couldn't support both. I would have been disowned had I chosen Rovers. But, my old man did also support Man U and so does my younger brother now. I can't stick Man U so they got plenty of ribbing for that.

2 hours ago, robinsfan19472017 said:

Remember it well, watching from the steep terrace at the Muller Road End. My heart was always with the Reds however, despite living in Fishponds !

I also went to Eastville as did father and grandfather who had season tickets for both clubs but we were always and will be always be City. We also lived in Fishponds in The Straits.  Was coached as an under 11 and did PE with Rovers players. The nicest was the fullback Alcock, who also lived in Fishponds, the real b..... in PE was Petherbridge.  We loved it when Pitt deputised because he took ribbing from City fans as fun.  Those were the days.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

when I was younger I would often go in the away end at eastville and join the away fans, they used to think it was brilliant, had some great times it was fantastic when they lost and yes I know it was a bit childish

Oh bloody hell the blue few will be all over this in a matter of minutes.....Always knew there was gurt teds in the away end!!

2 hours ago, pillred said:

when I was younger I would often go in the away end at eastville and join the away fans, they used to think it was brilliant, had some great times it was fantastic when they lost and yes I know it was a bit childish

Chap I know used to always go in the away end for Plymouth games.  He didn't dislike Plymouth, or support them for that matter, he just much preferred the atmosphere in the away end.

Oh dear. My dad (old man) took me to see Rovers v Walsall 1960 ish. It pissed down with rain 0-0 draw. Never been so bored in my life.

I've told this story a few times since, Went on my own to watch City after that (John Atyeo and co) and well the rest is history. I did go and watch Rovers v Sheffield United in that what ever cup. Tony Currie and all but I hate them with a passion now. (partly to do with Holloway) Nothing more to say really. That's all folks.

I'm sure I'm a bit younger than several of you old uns posting, but as a kid, quite a lot of our Away Bristol Junior League games were played at Muller Road.  As we kicked off at 1430, and the showers were either too cold, or not much mud on your knees, we were often finished at 1600 (35 minutes each way).  Our manager was a big Rovers fan so we'd often go in and watch the last half hour.  Days of Gary Mabbutt, Micky Barrett and David Williams - it was a shithole though!

I went once.  It was Boxing Day early 70s.  The day we lost at Oxford 5-0.  There had been an almighty row on Xmas night and the folks weren't talking.  Anyway, just to get out the house the old man took me with him to Eastville.  They won 4-2 against Plymouth.  A very strange experience.  We never talked during the game, it was silent all the way home and it was never talked about afterwards. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm sure I'm a bit younger than several of you old uns posting, but as a kid, quite a lot of our Away Bristol Junior League games were played at Muller Road.  As we kicked off at 1430, and the showers were either too cold, or not much mud on your knees, we were often finished at 1600 (35 minutes each way).  Our manager was a big Rovers fan so we'd often go in and watch the last half hour.  Days of Gary Mabbutt, Micky Barrett and David Williams - it was a shithole though!

still is :-)

Having heard of the regularity of people watching both teams it seems strange that a 'hatred' of City or Rovers seems to have developed in the 70s/80s when it seems as if there was no animosity pre-war and in the 50s and 60s. At the end of the day we both support a local club and aren't a 'glory supporter Chelski or Manure fan!

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

How many of you on here are old enough to remember that despite being BCFC all through it was quite common to go and watch Rovers when they were at home.

Remember my dad who was a die hard red going to watch the gas with his rovers supporting friend from work.......seemed a perfectly socially acceptable and natural thing for them to do together....very different attitude/outlook to today.

Lived in the engineers arms as a lad, some of you will remember my parents Cyril and Evelin.  family were all gas, so I occasionally went to eastville, always felt it was not for me.

many of the bar regulars were of course city fans so when city played at home I went with them, always felt at home and by the time I was old enough, not to have to ask permission, AG became my second home - Being a city fan never left me even when I spent 12 years away in different parts of the world when my family moved away from bedminster 

Born in Whitehall Bristol in the early 50's without sound of the Rovers ground . Jackie Pitt a Rovers player lived opposite me in a terraced house  and I went to school and played football with the son of Bill Roost another Rovers player who lived half a mile away. Footballers then lived in the community and both teams had many Bristol born players in the team.. Remember watching many Bristol Boys games in the 50's and early sixties at Ashton Gate  and Eastville played under floodlights,  indeed played in a couple myself - free tickets handed out in school if I remember correctly. Some of those games had big crowds back in the days . Many local  players then progressed to either Rovers or City

Often went to Rovers games in  my youth early days as we lived only a mile from the ground.  Remember crossing Stapleton Road  in packed crowds  next to the old Her Majesty's Cinema. Had some affection for the Harold Jarman era and Smash and Grab days, standing with friends in the main enclosure but was always and still am a Red. Haven't been to a Rovers match for over 30 years (except when playing City) but years ago it was quite common to watch both Bristol teams  if you weren't playing football yourself.

Find the hatred off the pitch difficult to comprehend as half my class at School were Rovers fans and I have many good friends in Bristol who are Gasheads. On the field -that's different for 90 minutes.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Chap I know used to always go in the away end for Plymouth games.  He didn't dislike Plymouth, or support them for that matter, he just much preferred the atmosphere in the away end.

yes I know what you mean I'm the same, I think if  I have come all this way I'm not just going to sit quietly in my seat!! 

Archived