IGNORED

Swinging Both Ways ...

The Original OTIB

I couldn't support both teams but I can't get on with the tribal hatred that embitters this forum.

On the whole I always argue I'd like to see the whole region more successful in football terms, and as long as we're on top I don't mind too much where the others are.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I couldn't support both teams but I can't get on with the tribal hatred that embitters this forum.

On the whole I always argue I'd like to see the whole region more successful in football terms, and as long as we're on top I don't mind too much where the others are.

Think you will find tribal hatred embitters football not just this forum

13 minutes ago, BigTone said:

How many of you on here are old enough to remember that despite being BCFC all through it was quite common to go and watch Rovers when they were at home.

Used to go occasionally to mid weeks at Eastvile (as I lived in Fishponds Rd) but only. if.....

A) There was a good chance of them getting stuffed

B) A good chance the Tote would be taken !

13 minutes ago, BigTone said:

How many of you on here are old enough to remember that despite being BCFC all through it was quite common to go and watch Rovers when they were at home.

When I was a nipper and we visited Grandparents in Bristol Me , my Dad and Grandfather would go and watch whoever was home

Away travel then was a major exercise and many football fans went to AG & Eastville depending on who was home

Also gave us a chance to view what was on offer and make a logical choice

As soon as I had any say in the matter it was AG only for me 

I reckon that the tribal aspect comes from people, in particular young men, and their deep rooted desire to belong to something.  Identifying as a fan of one team gives you that sense of belonging to something.  Then directing collective anger or humour at another, easily reachable entity gives that belonging a purpose.

"I am a Bristol [City/Rovers] fan and my purpose is to support my club in its pursuit of being superior to the other."

Many people find psychological comfort in feeling like they matter, like they are useful and are "doing" something. Committing to a club supplies this.  I think its why you'd be hard pressed to find a sports team that doesn't have a "rival".  Even those that are geographically isolated will strive to find an opponent.

I would suggest that those that are ok with supporting two teams have some other enterprise in their life that provides such a purpose...or they are among the lucky few who do not need it.

yep when I was in Primary school, my dad worked sat mornings so my uncle took me sat mornings as I played for the school team and in the afternoons he or dad took me to AG but he always went to Eastville to watch the Rovers as well. Strange as he was a Scot and supported Rangers  :laughcont::laughcont:

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Used to go occasionally to mid weeks at Eastvile (as I lived in Fishponds Rd) but only. if.....

A) There was a good chance of them getting stuffed

B) A good chance the Tote would be taken !

Bit of a midweek regular then, you were slart.....

Read this earlier today and enjoyed it.Being a Bedminster boy in the 1950s

I was obviously City mad but several school friends were Rovers fans

So I would go to Eastville at times and honestly enjoyed watching players like Bradford and Ward also Peter Hooper who later also played for City.He had a hell of a shot on him.I also would watch Gloucester and Somereset in the summer 

I can't remember any issues of being a lover of sport causing today's problems 

life is so short and is to be enjoyed.

lets hope Lee comes good in the end so we can all enjoy what we crave for i.e. The Premiership

That could easily have been my father writing that piece. Born and bred in St Johns Lane, his local team was City...but he would tell me of tales cycling to watch the Gas when City were playing away. He always used to leave his bike in the same spot, unchained...and it was always there when he returned.

He enjoyed watching both.

Funnily he only follows City now...not sure when that changed. Probably when I started following the City and not the Gas.

Incredible when all my mates were Gas and my close friends Grandfather was manager for them.

Probably because City showed a little interest in me and the Gas didn't. City took my team mate on instead. Heady School boy football...how I miss those days.

Swindon was the big trial...I even screwed that one up...now I hate them :laugh:

Different times.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I did that quite regularly. Common place back then, most of my mates were rovers fans so it was quite a natural thing to do, even been in with the gas lot when playing the city. Every one around knew me as a city fan which was never a problem. Too much bile spoken about the rivalry today.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Great post Tone.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I don't like this one though.

Archived