IGNORED

OTIB's all-time XI - Centre Backs

Benjam!n Ultra

Gary Collier has to be one.

He was silky smooth.

He was the first player to move on a freedom of contract to Coventry.

The club panicked and started putting the better players on lengthy contracts  (I believe 11 years for Clive Whitehead) which eventually led to the Ashton Gate Eight.

I think Geoff Merrick has to be the other one.

He was very quick and talented. A born leader even at an early age.

The club rejected an offer from Arsenal for him and Tom Ritchie.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I like your enthusiasm on this thread mate, good fun to get away from the doom and gloom...but, with the greatest respect, it looks pretty obvious that the final line up is going to reflect the younger demographic on here which seems to make up the majority of posters.

I wonder how many pre 1990 players will make the final eleven?! Probably none looking at how it's going so far. But I will carry on voting mate....you've taken on a big project with this, look forward to the nominations for best manager, if you do that one!

I think Atyeo will certainly be one pre 1990 player, younger posters are obviously aware of him and his statue should keep him in fresh in the mind. 

Much like the later Gerry Gow could get a spot with him obviously being in the news this season.  

Norman Hunter definitely.

I saw Joe Royle play centre back for one game at Forest in our old first division days. He was fantastic. I remember his heading skills in defence were akin to a long ball throw-in by our Icelandic international. 

It's a tough shout for the second slot. There's someone close by who owns a Delorean (they were made in Norn Iron don't you know) so I'll see if I can get to watch Fatty '5.5-6 foot' Wedlock and report back!

Collier and Merrick.

As a pairing they never seemed to be panicked. I am sure there were times the defence was all over the shop but both gave the impression of assured calm.

25 minutes ago, Offside said:

In my time Shaun Taylor and Louis Carey.

I didn't get to see Norman Hunter play but my dad did and says he was superb. Billy Wedlock was an international and a key player during a successful era for us. 

So - I think it has to be Hunter and Wedlock.

Norman Hunter , he  was a revelation , all thought he was just a clogger , but brilliant footballer and excellent defender 

3 hours ago, Offside said:

In my time Shaun Taylor and Louis Carey.

I didn't get to see Norman Hunter play but my dad did and says he was superb. Billy Wedlock was an international and a key player during a successful era for us. 

So - I think it has to be Hunter and Wedlock.

proved that tv makes you look fat I couldn't believe how skinny his legs were.

Archived