IGNORED

OTIB's all-time XI - Centre Backs

Benjam!n Ultra

2 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Okay, two nominations each on your choices to make the final vote, where you will vote for two of the top 8 nominated CB's.

As before you only get two nominations

Nominations: Shaun Taylor and has to be Billy Wedlock!

If you're looking for centre backs you can't include Fatty Wedlock. Although he was a centre half, this was in the days when centre halves were midfield players, not defenders. He was only 5ft 5in tall, so would be completely useless as a centre back 

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you're looking for centre backs you can't include Fatty Wedlock. Although he was a centre half, this was in the days when centre halves were midfield players, not defenders. He was only 5ft 5in tall, so would be completely useless as a centre back 

True, though Charles Buchan says that Billy was 5 ft 6 1⁄2 in :whistle:. I guess you could argue that football was a lot less cohesive across the park in those days and that effectively you had an attacking unit of 5 and a defensive unit of 5 (if you include the center backs with the three center-halves). I can't imagine there was much tracking back from the attacking players in the early 1900's!

Bailey Wright isn't much larger at 5ft 9, and much of what I have read about Wedlock's game is that he had a phenomenal jump unlike anything any other footballer of his size, in that era, possessed (reminds me of Joe Bryan, who amazes me how well he can jump).

I'm sure Wedlock will get into this team somehow, if he doesn't it does make representing your country a bit of a non-event really.

I've also just noticed that Bailey Wright and Billy Wedlock share the same initials... coincidence? I think not! :laugh:

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

True, though Charles Buchan says that Billy was 5 ft 6 1⁄2 in :whistle:. I guess you could argue that football was a lot less cohesive across the park in those days and that effectively you had an attacking unit of 5 and a defensive unit of 5 (if you include the center backs with the three center-halves). I can't imagine there was much tracking back from the attacking players in the early 1900's!

Bailey Wright isn't much larger at 5ft 9, and much of what I have read about Wedlock's game is that he had a phenomenal jump unlike anything any other footballer of his size, in that era, possessed (reminds me of Joe Bryan, who amazes me how well he can jump).

I'm sure Wedlock will get into this team somehow, if he doesn't it does make representing your country a bit of a non-event really.

I've also just noticed that Bailey Wright and Billy Wedlock share the same initials... coincidence? I think not! :laugh:

Bailey Wright is 6ft

4 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Okay, two nominations each on your choices to make the final vote, where you will vote for two of the top 8 nominated CB's.

As before you only get two nominations. 

TEAM SO FAR:

ADRIANO BASSO 44%

I like your enthusiasm on this thread mate, good fun to get away from the doom and gloom...but, with the greatest respect, it looks pretty obvious that the final line up is going to reflect the younger demographic on here which seems to make up the majority of posters.

I wonder how many pre 1990 players will make the final eleven?! Probably none looking at how it's going so far. But I will carry on voting mate....you've taken on a big project with this, look forward to the nominations for best manager, if you do that one!

18 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

No chance, he's no 6ft-er. I think I read in his stats his height is 1.75m.

Edit: other sources say 1.82m and one even says 1.86m.

Having seem him around the Gate, he's 5ft 11 at most. Or I'm secretly really tall...

I was stood very close to him on Monday evening and he looked taller than on the pitch.  I'm 6'1" (used to be 6'2") and there wasn't much in it.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really? Where did you hear that? Very sad if true

He was recently arrested for a drunken scuffle.  Not for the first time.  Went on QPR forum and it was all on there.  He doesn't get in their team anymore because of it (officially he has a hip injury).  Since learnt that he spent most of his time at Cardiff on the piss.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Glad someone nominated Geoff Merritt , I went for Collier and nearly both

The old dilemma , did Merrick make Collier look class, or did Collier make Merrick look class !! :yawn:

What a great pairing they were :thumbsup: 

Yeah  torn between Geoff,Hunter,Taylor and Collier.

Will try to slip Merrick into the right back slot!!

Archived