IGNORED

Stewards at Football

Mr Popodopolous

May seem a random topic, may even should have a poll but always interesting discussion to have.

Should Football Stewards be fans of the club, or say Rovers fans or indeed no connection at all? Should it matter even?

I only say this because I don't think a good job of stewarding at football can really be done unless the individual has an understanding of football fans, crowds etc- but who really knows eh.

• Admin

Interesting point

I would say they would need to understand the "mind" of a football fan as to react to certain scenarios

Those I encounter have been around the ground for many years and would say they know when to stamp down on someone or when just to stand back

On the basis we got rid of safe and sound mid season and replaced them, I guess there is a degree of inexperience

But then equally what do we expect a steward to be there for? Some seem no more than just directing people to seats whereas others take a more hands on approach 

in the dim distant past we had a squad of 12 called the specials as did the gas .at home games ours did stewarding in the east end with the gas doing the away fans while the reverse happened at eastville.

so you were always looked after by stewards with a connection with the club at home and no connection if an away fan

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Don't think it matters, stewards don't have much power, any problems and the old bill sweep in to the rescue,

i see them as mainly there to try and prevent possible flash points and to ask people to sit down

The main thing I seem to see them doing these days is arguing with idiots who seem to think it's unfair they can't take their pint with them to their seat.

• Admin
1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Common sence is the most important thing. We took some photographs of Shrewsburys new ground before them playing Bury quite a few seasons back now and got a lesson in image rights belonging to the club etc. Absurd.

Can remember a friend of mine being thrown out before a game at Bradford for the same thing

I genuinely find there is pretty good stewarding at Ashton gate these days. You only have to talk to them to realise they are city fans. I know one travels up from Devon every home game and I have seen quite a few at away games as fans not stewards. 

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting point

I would say they would need to understand the "mind" of a football fan as to react to certain scenarios

Those I encounter have been around the ground for many years and would say they know when to stamp down on someone or when just to stand back

On the basis we got rid of safe and sound mid season and replaced them, I guess there is a degree of inexperience

But then equally what do we expect a steward to be there for? Some seem no more than just directing people to seats whereas others take a more hands on approach 

I think the stewards have an important role to  play only a couple of weeks ago they checked if I could undo a zip.

32 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Common sence is the most important thing. We took some photographs of Shrewsburys new ground before them playing Bury quite a few seasons back now and got a lesson about image rights belonging to the club and photographing was not allowed etc. Absurd.

Technically the stewards are correct on this Tommy, but 99% of clubs overlook it and rightly so,

Surely Stewards are there to do the following:-

Direct fans to their seats or a particular refreshment or the loos or whatever.

To instruct fans to sit down whilst watching the games.

To insist fans do not bring drink into the seating areas. 

To sort out the few idiots who cause trouble. 

To stop fans getting onto the pitch to remonstrate with Lee Johnson. Perhaps let fans do that.

Stewards contribution during the games is vital and should be acknowledged.

Back in the day, clubs didn't have Stewards just a few policemen in the ground.

Clubs then realised by having their own Stewards, they didn't need the Police which the clubs had to pay for.

The Police retaliated by insisting 1; they decided how many police were needed in the ground, 2; they decided the cost of each officer and 3; if the club objected to points 1 and/or 2, they withdrew the safety certificate so the game could not go ahead. (A licensed protection racket)?

Many police forces are now trying to get the rules changed so that clubs have to pay for police outside the ground on traffic duty etc.

33 minutes ago, 22A said:

Back in the day, clubs didn't have Stewards just a few policemen in the ground.

Clubs then realised by having their own Stewards, they didn't need the Police which the clubs had to pay for.

The Police retaliated by insisting 1; they decided how many police were needed in the ground, 2; they decided the cost of each officer and 3; if the club objected to points 1 and/or 2, they withdrew the safety certificate so the game could not go ahead. (A licensed protection racket)?

Many police forces are now trying to get the rules changed so that clubs have to pay for police outside the ground on traffic duty etc.

We have the same discussion. When does the clubs responsibility stop? Young Mr. Braindead kissing his mum goodnight?

Archived