IGNORED

Confused

stroud

Just now, Red white and red said:

Not when you're 0-3 up half way through the game. It's suicidal football!!

It's dissapointing, of course. But we did get a result. Fact. 

Some people seem to forget that the other team have 11/14 players, all doing what they can to stop us winning games too. 

Better teams than us have let a 3 goal lead slip before. It happens. 

Yes, we have let leads slip too often for liking this season, but it's a tough division. We've also taken points from teams who were beating us. 

It's football. If we were the finished article, it would be lovely. But if you can't see any positives from yesterday, then maybe being a football fan (especially a Bristol City fan) isn't for you. 

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

Never liked him a player, 

Irrelevant

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

never liked him a person

Why? What's he done to you personally?

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

didnt want him as a manager

still feel he's completely out of his depth.

Those two points are fine. Two totally reasonable things to argue. 

The first two though, aren't. To me those two points do feel like an 'agenda' rather than a fair critique. 

2 minutes ago, stroud said:

Ok on a different view reading people's view that if we had a super manager like pardew,,Warburton etc etc the list goes on can you honestly say the result yesterday would of been any different tell me honestly if we have these super managers that people want would Taylor or Bryan scored to put the game to bed or would cotterill had tracked backed even more tell me what these super managers would of done differently 

Personally I don't have a view on who I'd rather have managing Bristol City. In fact I'd be perfectly happy with a competent Lee Johnson..with whom we seem to be stuck, so let's hope he gets there.

What I'd expect to be different with a more experienced manager in charge is our resilience, our ability to see games out. Which has been sadly lacking. It seems to be beyond LJ to get the players thinking the right way.

Way too many people on here are blinkered with Johnson. The guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't know his best team, he doesn't know what formation to play, he doesn't know how to manage a game, he comes up with the same cliches week after week. He got lucky last week as we absolutely scraped past a woeful side and that bought him some more time. If anyone of us on here were that inept in our jobs I'm pretty sure we would have been down the road by now. 

I don't think I've been too unfair with that lot but people will obviously disagree with me. 

25 minutes ago, Bowie said:

It is relevant as a player, he was a gobby little shit who couldn't control his anger

It's not relevant. How is it any way connected to his management ability some years later?

as a person for me, repeated rude gesturing your own fans is unforgivable, due to the love in with is father at the time it got brushed over.

When? As a player or manager? He got absolute dogs abuse as a player for no reason. Yes, there's an argument to suggest he wasn't good enough for us at this level and GJ shouldn't have picked him - not his fault though and he shouldn't have got the abuse he got. I remember him as a player that always gave his all every game despite his limitations.

As a manager, if you're referring to the incident the other week with the banner, well what do you expect? How would you like it in that situation? Especially in football management where passions run high.

If that's your only reason, I take it then that you also 'dislike Cotterill as a person' for shouting at our own fans in his penultimate game vs Preston?

completely unqualified for a championship job.

when a manager breaks the record for consecutive defeats, I view that he's out of his depth, likewise on the surface his man management appears completely hopeless.

Fairer points, man management one most debatable because we don't know for sure what goes on.

personally I think the man is a parasite has repeatedly put him person views/grudges above the well being of the club.  (I get the irony)

You don't know this for sure so it's an unfair criticism.

51 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Regardless of whether you like or dislike the manager, coming away from a game with a draw when you are 3-0 up is shameful. I wonder how many people who play, or played the game, would be content to lose a 3-0 lead. 

I am truly amazed that supporters of our club are content with throwing away a 3-0 lead. 

I guess I shouldn't be though, as many are more than happy to lose games as long as it's only by the odd goal. 

In my 40+ years of supporting City I have never known so many people happy with sheer incompetence.

We have a professional football manager who isn't able to manage a football team for the whole of a 90 minute game, the facts are all there for people to see, some seem to blind to see it though!

I generally like your posts whilst not always agreeing (and this is one of those times)

I'm genuinely baffled how any blame yesterday can be put at LJs door, the players are getting off very very lightly compared to years gone by by the fans and they need to look at themselves in the mirror.

For yesterday if blame needs to be given for not winning that game then look no further than Matt Taylor and Joe Bryan 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's dissapointing, of course. But we did get a result. Fact. 

Some people seem to forget that the other team have 11/14 players, all doing what they can to stop us winning games too. 

Better teams than us have let a 3 goal lead slip before. It happens. 

Yes, we have let leads slip too often for liking this season, but it's a tough division. We've also taken points from teams who were beating us. 

It's football. If we were the finished article, it would be lovely. But if you can't see any positives from yesterday, then maybe being a football fan (especially a Bristol City fan) isn't for you. 

I, along with many others on here, find it very difficult to take positives from such a collapse. Moving forward we need to be 4 or 5 goals up to be sure of getting a result? That's smacks there is something fundamentally wrong at this football club. Apart from the first 45 minutes yesterday and the 'odd' game, the players have no confidence whatsoever. They dont know whether to pass sideways, back or smash it 90 yards up the park. They look like rabbits in the headlights, they really do. It's so frustrating as a fan to see players with immense talent and skill to go totally inside their shells and not want to express themselves on the pitch. 

You could argue the creativity is being managed out of these players. No Reid, no Tomlin, no Patterson. 3 of our most creative players who can barely get a sniff these days. I wouldn't argue with that yesterday as Taylor/Abraham were superb. 

Maybe just consider the above for future games mate. 

I really don't understand the playground mentality of OTIB where you have to take sides on everything. Why can't people be allowed to just enjoy yesterday for what it was, some fantastic football and effort from the team in a season of absolutely dire football. Having been to every one of our club record run of defeats apart from Huddersfield, I have witnessed some of the most feeble, tactically inept football I hope to ever see in my lifetime, and then suddenly, for one brief day, my team plays sensational football against a good Derby side, wins most of the 50-50 battles all over the pitch, has far far more chances. Just enjoy it FFS.

And PLEASE don't draw any conclusions about who this point is aimed at, because it isn't, and that is precisely what I mean about playground and taking sides. Because for all accusations of LJ Out agendas (although if you complain about yesterday, you probably do have one), I have seen some absolutely cringeworthy stuff in several threads since yesterday from people engaging full on smug mode, with their own agendas to imply they were right all along, that yesterday was a vindication for Johnson, as if the last 3 months never happened and we were wrong to have criticised. THAT is equally an abuse of the 3-3 for your own agenda.

A better title for this thread might be: why do you go to football? If it is simply for a result, you probably shouldn't bother as you'll be disappointed half the time and it's cheaper to stay at home and wait for final score. If you go because you want to a) see your team play good football and dominate an opposition, b) you want to be entertained, and c) you want to feel proud of what your team accomplishes, then yesterday was the first time in a long time you could tick all three boxes. For months now you couldn't even tick off one of those. I don't think LJ is up to it, but that's irrelevant today, yesterday was a brief moment of wonder.

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

I, along with many others on here, find it very difficult to take positives from such a collapse. Moving forward we need to be 4 or 5 goals up to be sure of getting a result? That's smacks there is something fundamentally wrong at this football club. Apart from the first 45 minutes yesterday and the 'odd' game, the players have no confidence whatsoever. They dont know whether to pass sideways, back or smash it 90 yards up the park. They look like rabbits in the headlights, they really do. It's so frustrating as a fan to see players with immense talent and skill to go totally inside their shells and not want to express themselves on the pitch. 

You could argue the creativity is being managed out of these players. No Reid, no Tomlin, no Patterson. 3 of our most creative players who can barely get a sniff these days. I wouldn't argue with that yesterday as Taylor/Abraham were superb. 

Maybe just consider the above for future games mate. 

I love having Tomlin on the pitch. Yesterday was exactly the right decision not to have him in the team. 

Nobody is happy with not winning from 3-0 up, obviously. But there was an in form Derby team, at home, chasing the play offs, hell bent on getting themselves back into the game, with nothing to lose. 

If 2 of our players hadn't wasted glorious chances to score a 4th goal then it knocks the stuffing out of them and we win.

To score 3 away at Derby is no mean feat. We all but scored 4 (Taylor) not many teams do that! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I love having Tomlin on the pitch. Yesterday was exactly the right decision not to have him in the team. 

Nobody is happy with not winning from 3-0 up, obviously. But there was an in form Derby team, at home, chasing the play offs, hell bent on getting themselves back into the game, with nothing to lose. 

If 2 of our players hadn't wasted glorious chances to score a 4th goal then it knocks the stuffing out of them and we win.

To score 3 away at Derby is no mean feat. We all but scored 4 (Taylor) not many teams do that! 

Like I said, I wouldn't argue with not playing Tomlin yesterday. You seem to have focused on just yesterday's game. I'm on about yesterday and the season as a whole so far, which lets be completely honest, has been shit.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I did not go to the game so this is more a question than opinion. When Derby were apparently playing a high line, is Djuric the wrong option off the bench? How about bring off both tammy and Taylor and bringing on Paterson and odowda, 2 fresh runners who chase and make runs, giving Derby more to worry about than Djuric who needs the team playing higher up the pitch. No point in a player holding it up well, only for a knackered side to be sitting too deep to help him. I just think that kind of move invites more pressure. 

Take both strikers off and bring 2 wingers on? So have nobody up front at all? I think that might invite some more pressure mate. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agree with this, its disappointing that we didn't come away with the win, people are forgetting that Derby side was full of quality, they also omit that yes they had played 120 minutes in midweek but recalled 7 or 8 players, the team in midweek was a reserve side, this team was their first... McClaren already said that this was the priority. Not forgetting their impressive home record and defensive record in the process...

City played very well but it wasn't quite to be, we are not the only club to (or the first to) throw away 2 or 3 goal leads and we won't be the last either

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Regardless of whether you like or dislike the manager, coming away from a game with a draw when you are 3-0 up is shameful. I wonder how many people who play, or played the game, would be content to lose a 3-0 lead. 

I am truly amazed that supporters of our club are content with throwing away a 3-0 lead. 

I guess I shouldn't be though, as many are more than happy to lose games as long as it's only by the odd goal. 

In my 40+ years of supporting City I have never known so many people happy with sheer incompetence.

We have a professional football manager who isn't able to manage a football team for the whole of a 90 minute game, the facts are all there for people to see, some seem to blind to see it though!

Sheer incompetence taking a three nil lead at Derby County!

Of course, anyone who has played the game would be disappointed losing a three goal lead, but they would also take positives from the fact they played well enough in the first place to take a three goal lead. That positive doesn't warrant a mention in your post.

It is stating the obvious to say that I was not content to lose a three goal lead, but where my post differs from yours is that I have to say that I was more than bl###y content when we took the three goal lead.

Please remember, we lost the corresponding fixture by four goals to nil last season. That might be a better example of the sheer incompetence you mention.

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

People saying converting Taylor's chance to make it 4-1 need to get a grip. To score 4 goals in the professional game is relatively unprecedented and frankly, the game SHOULD have been well and truly done with at 3-0 away from home!

What are you on about..?

Give Taylor that position another 100 times and I doubt he'll miss. It was everything but a goal, right up there with the biggest missed sitters of all time. Saying he should have scored is hardly stretching the realms of fantasy..!

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

Read it again. The poster questioned why we didn't take off Taylor/Abraham and bring on Patterson/O'Dowda. I merely said why would we bring off 2 strikers for 2 wingers, but cheers yeah. 

Ah ok. My apologies. 

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Sheer incompetence taking a three nil lead at Derby County!

Of course, anyone who has played the game would be disappointed losing a three goal lead, but they would also take positives from the fact they played well enough in the first place to take a three goal lead. That positive doesn't warrant a mention in your post.

It is stating the obvious to say that I was not content to lose a three goal lead, but where my post differs from yours is that I have to say that I was more than bl###y content when we took the three goal lead.

Please remember, we lost the corresponding fixture by four goals to nil last season. That might be a better example of the sheer incompetence you mention.

Amongst my disappointment (still) at letting a 3 goal lead go, which has been tempered somewhat by the great write ups on here, this point you've made HoC amongst all the hysteria is a very good one. That game really was diabolical! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

What are you on about..?

Give Taylor that position another 100 times and I doubt he'll miss. It was everything but a goal, right up there with the biggest missed sitters of all time. Saying he should have scored is hardly stretching the realms of fantasy..!

I'm saying that to be suggesting we should have won the game 4-1 is madness! Whether Bas Savage could've scored that chance is irrelevant. It's all ifs buts and maybes. 

The only thing we can say for sure is that we were 3-0 up, and at that point away from home we needed astute game management (which is not just down to the manager but also the players on the pitch) to close the game down - stifle the opposition. We didn't and we threw away a 3 goal lead.

Disappointing.

4 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I'm saying that to be suggesting we should have won the game 4-1 is madness! Whether Bas Savage could've scored that chance is irrelevant. It's all ifs buts and maybes. 

The only thing we can say for sure is that we were 3-0 up, and at that point away from home we needed astute game management (which is not just down to the manager but also the players on the pitch) to close the game down - stifle the opposition. We didn't and we threw away a 3 goal lead.

Disappointing.

Of course it's dissapointing! Gutted we didn't get 3 points from such a strong position, as is LJ. 

We faced a wounded, in form Derby, with nothing to lose who had the freedom to come at us. 

That 4th goal would probably have knocked the stuffing out of them, instead, the Miss probably galvanised them further. 

Anyone not seeing any positives from yesterday are clearly deliberately choosing not to see them. 

Thought he never got the credit he deserved as a player.  Desperate for him to succeed as a manager.  Results do not lie.  He is out of his depth.  There is not a club in the world who would still be using his services after our run of form and ability to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.  At the end of the day, all I care about is the club.  He WILL take us down.  He has to go.

18 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

People saying converting Taylor's chance to make it 4-1 need to get a grip. To score 4 goals in the professional game is relatively unprecedented and frankly, the game SHOULD have been well and truly done with at 3-0 away from home!

Poor choice of words, to score 4 goals in the professional game isn't 'relatively unprecedented'... it happened 8 times in the top 4 English leagues yesterday alone

Archived