IGNORED

Why do you go to football?

The Original OTIB

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No. Smoking less though.

But neither have I given up texting the Doris to say 'I'm in the pub, but I'll be back in half an hour'. Only to get back 3 hours after my suggested arrival time, being somewhat wobbly and trying my best to find an excuse that is better than 'But BEER!!!!'

Have yet to mention the beamback on Tuesday. Might leave that till later.

The mystery of our hideous slump is uncovered....bastard!

In the family . My grandparent took my old man . My old man took me . I take my boy . Just love Bristol city football club . So great memories over the years. And some not so great. But u can't beat football day . God knows how many games I've seenand how much money I've spent. The nostalgia videos that have been posted on here . Have been brilliant. 

The congregation (the crowd), the church (the stadium), the priest and his sermon of hope (the manager and his press conferences), the hymns (the chants), the holy communion (the Natch), the donations (the ticket prices), devotionals  (undieing faith despite all pain), hooliganism (religious based wars) ... shared experience and history and context, the refuge from the world, the debate and politics ... football is a pseudo-religion inadvertently ticking many of the boxes of the inner, deeper human need.  

I can see why it's so popular.

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

The congregation (the crowd), the church (the stadium), the priest and his sermon of hope (the manager and his press conferences), the hymns (the chants), the holy communion (the Natch), the donations (the ticket prices), devotionals  (undieing faith despite all pain), hooliganism (religious based wars) ... shared experience and history and context, the refuge from the world, the debate and politics ... football is a pseudo-religion inadvertently ticking many of the boxes of the inner, deeper human need.  

I can see why it's so popular.

Holy Communion isn't all about the wine/Natch you know...

You've forgotten about the bread. Is that defined as pies and pasties in your analogy?

On 12/02/2017 at 12:18, The Original OTIB said:

Picking up on a comment elsewhere, it does make me wonder why some people keep going. The result could, maybe should have been better but it was actually a great day out. I met up with old mates, met some new supporters that I'd not spoken to before, saw a fantastic first half and a determined second half only let down by individual errors. Bonhomie, banter, good jokes, bad jokes, good beer, good support and an easy access stadium actually near a town centre. There was much to enjoy and there often is if you accept the totality of the day and the experience.

That is exactly what a match day should be all about.

I went to the rugby the other day, really enjoyed the evening (apart from the match) 

I had to move seats though as some people behind me were talking about the price of private rents, I listened to 10 mins of this before deciding to move and I just thought to myself going to a sporting event is supposed to be a release from all the day to day troubles, for 80/90 minutes you can forget about any stresses, worries etc and that is why I go.

Most of the time I'm not overly fussed about the score, oh course the day is even better if we win but I take so much enjoyment from the pre match build up that the match actually becomes a bit of a side show. 

If it rained heavily all day that would piss me off more than the match ever could.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Holy Communion isn't all about the wine/Natch you know...

You've forgotten about the bread. Is that defined as pies and pasties in your analogy?

Absolutely!  

The board of directors are the Elders, the stadium officer is the warden, the match day programme is the order of service but I'm struggling to come up with a holy book comparison....

6 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The one where the gasheads started ripping up the chairs and chucking them on the pitch. :fear:

Well we didn't have Beadle until September 1999 so the only derby he could have played in for us in the '90s was the 0-0 draw at home to the Gas in October 1999....don't remember that bore draw resulting in seat throwing! But could be wrong!

I often wonder.....

But I do love seeing a bit of skill and a well-played game.

Bristol City has been genetically programmed in me - so I rarely get to see the above! ;)

Very little beats the thrill of a great win. It lifts your entire weekend. 

If that thrill ever went, I'd give up the S/T and save a lot of money and time. 

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well we didn't have Beadle until September 1999 so the only derby he could have played in for us in the '90s was the 0-0 draw at home to the Gas in October 1999....don't remember that bore draw resulting in seat throwing! But could be wrong!

No, Beadle scored twice for the g*s. It all kicked off at the end of the game.

I just looked, it was 1996, I would have been 16 so that's probably why my mum banned me from going for a bit :D 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/video-bristol-city-0-bristol-rovers-2-beadle-s/story-19723714-detail/story.html

Think I`ve been about twice since the E.E was dropped; have about as much need to go in the S.Stand or The Big New One as I need return to the New Wembeley don't like where footballs going.

Been to many,many away grounds of old but now...............nah I`ll pass.

Maybe safe standing will come back before I die.........nah doubt it.............50yrs of memories it is then. :(

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

No, Beadle scored twice for the g*s. It all kicked off at the end of the game.

I just looked, it was 1996, I would have been 16 so that's probably why my mum banned me from going for a bit :D 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/video-bristol-city-0-bristol-rovers-2-beadle-s/story-19723714-detail/story.html

Remember it well! I thought you meant when Beadle played for us. That night was chaos, a real ticketing cock up left around 2,000 locked out even though they had tickets! I sat in the Dolman and two other guys came up to me separately before the game saying 'you're sat in my seat' but I was sat in the correct seat, the club had sold the same seat three times for that match! 

There were people sat and standing on just about every walkway, chaos!

And then we got beat by that mob to put the cherry on the b@stard cake! And the way Marcus Stewart left the pitch that night at the end, giving it the big 'un with lots of hand gestures, makes me find it hard to believe he is a City fan as lots of people seem to think he is.

Archived