IGNORED

Why do you go to football?

The Original OTIB

Three reasons for me.

1) The build up. Thinking about who we are playing, their players, their manager. Is there specific rivalry? How many will they bring if it's a home game. How many will we take if it's an away game. Reading OTIB. Travelling to the game etc. The build up.

2) Meeting friends. The lady I sit next to is now 40 (I hope she doesn't read this)! I first stood with her and her dad when she was about 8. We rarely see each other apart from 'at the football'. I enjoy talking to 'like minded people' who see the game differently to me but understand the game. I talk to people sat around me, maybe you? I don't know their name, what they do or where they live. That's not important. I want to know whether it's right or wrong to drop Tomin or which player should we sign next etc.

3) Entertainment. Not winning, but being entertained. Watching football live, with an atmosphere. Banter with away fans / managers etc. Yesterday I was entertained beyond anything I was expecting - we didn't win, whilst dissapointing, I had my money's worth. Being in The Championship brings better quality players/teams/managers. Possibly increasing the entertainment level?

These three things are what I want from live football. Sky cannot give me this.

3 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Three reasons for me.

1) The build up. Thinking about who we are playing, their players, their manager. Is there specific rivalry? How many will they bring if it's a home game. How many will we take if it's an away game. Reading OTIB. Travelling to the game etc. The build up.

2) Meeting friends. The lady I sit next to is now 40 (I hope she doesn't read this)! I first stood with her and her dad when she was about 8. We rarely see each other apart from 'at the football'. I enjoy talking to 'like minded people' who see the game differently to me but understand the game. I talk to people sat around me, maybe you? I don't know their name, what they do or where they live. That's not important. I want to know whether it's right or wrong to drop Tomin or which player should we sign next etc.

3) Entertainment. Not winning, but being entertained. Watching football live, with an atmosphere. Banter with away fans / managers etc. Yesterday I was entertained beyond anything I was expecting - we didn't win, whilst dissapointing, I had my money's worth. Being in The Championship brings better quality players/teams/managers. Possibly increasing the entertainment level?

These three things are what I want from live football. Sky cannot give me this.

:clap:a 'like' wasn't enough

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed I am.  Prior to starting to take Joe, I'd become a casual supporter, the odd trip to AG, watching highlights, the odd live coverage on Sky etc, with tonnes and tonnes of Premier League football on tv, which I was starting to get bored with. 13/14 became the watershed and the realisation that there is life outside of the Premier and it's taken a real grip on me since.  There is something about following your local club outside of the top tier that's get a hold of you.  Should we ever get to the top flight, I wonder if that will change?

Having experienced when we did get to the top flight the feeling remains the same.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Again like others have said, it's cathartic. It's a therapy almost. 

You shout, scream and be entertained (occasionally for City fans).

It's also about letting go of inhibitions. As a married mother (amongst other things), I can go along and shout and swear to my hearts content. It also helps break down stereotypes such as women can't/shouldn't do what the men do, hence why I'm even more eager to drink a pint and shout that the ref is a w****r.

Damn you're already married. ..sound like my type of girl.:punish:

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

You sound like my kind of girl Peg

Whilst I appreciate your comment, Miss @Dollymarie is a better woman than I. (She can nail 5 pints whilst I can only nail 4... allegedly:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Damn you're already married. ..sound like my type of girl.:punish:

Alas, I am indeed. It'll be 10 years in 11 days time since I married Mr Peg.

Just a shame he prefers rugby to football, but he knows I drink pints and swear so it's all good. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don't ever question her knowledge of Queen Victoria though, eh @richwwtk?  I don't think @Septic Peg will be choosing this as her post of the day :whistle:

I said I was sorry OK? 

Never gonna live that down am I? :P

It is an addiction. I support City because my parents did, they did because my maternal grandfather did. 

I go to football wherever I am working in the world because it's what I do. Last role it was Real or Athletico, now it's Servette ( rubbish) or Carouge ( utter rubbish). 

For many of the reasons already stated - entertainment, football, release from work etc.

For me, having moved away from Bristol a long time ago and now having fewer reasons to make visits it gives me a connection with home. When I get into a ground (usually away) and hear those familiar accents I get an immediate lift and sense of connection. Perhaps one day I'll make it back.

The reasons we go, when you break them down, would seem ridiculous to anyone who doesn`t yet we still do it. For me it`s a combination of habit, meeting up with mates I don`t see at any other times and blind faith coupled with an undying love of BCFC. When I rock up to AG it brings back so many memories, some good, some not so but I wouldn`t change it for the world. My life, like those of probably most on here,  has changed beyond recognition over the 45 years I`ve been supporting City but the club has been the only constant throughout that time. Similar to Red Grovesy, I`ve been meeting the same bloke for a fag at half time for probably the last twenty years and I still don`t know his name or he mine and neither of us know anything about the other but that doesn`t matter one bit as we have that shared City experience.

I can`t imagine not going to a game - I have missed the odd home game over the years for one reason or another and might as well have been there for all the use I am at whatever function has stopped me going - at least until ten to five anyway!

It`s in my blood and will never change. Conference or Premier League, I`ll still be there. To stop would be like having a part of me surgically removed.

On 12/02/2017 at 13:17, BigTone said:

You sound like my kind of girl Peg

DO YOU WANT A DIVORCE?!?!? :bruce_h4h:

21 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Whilst I appreciate your comment, Miss @Dollymarie is a better woman than I. (She can nail 5 pints whilst I can only nail 4... allegedly:thumbsup:

Of vodka right? :w00t:

21 hours ago, BigTone said:

Only 5 ?  You don't know my Dolly.

Don't try creeping back now Mister! 

Why do I go to football? My first ever game was that City v Rovers derby back in the 90's where it all kicked off after (Peter Beadle was playing) and part of me liked the edge it had to it, the potential risk gave me a buzz. My mum banned me from going as she'd seen what happened on the telly, and so I didn't then go for a couple of years until (as most of you know) I was looking after a disabled lad who wanted to go and watch a game. I started taking him, he sat on my lap down the front of the Williams and we went regularly for years. When I left that job back in 2009 I had to get my own season ticket, and out of habit and now love for my team I kept going, initially on my own for a bit. 

Made many friends (and broken the odd heart) through football, but I go mainly because I bloody love it. I love the excitement when it's match day.  I've introduced many kids to football over the years. My goddaughter started coming when she was 6. She wanted to watch football and her g*shead family wouldn't take her, so I did. She's 16 now and is still coming, she wouldn't be a g*shead now if you paid her. And now I'm fostering the kids I have living with me as a result of that come with me too. 

Partly habit as well I guess, I got involved with the SC&T way back when it started (over 10 years ago now) so I could feel like I was trying to have more of a say in my football club. I felt back then as well that us girls still had a point to prove that we were going because of the football, and not just to ogle at the men (although that has its plus points sometimes ;) ) and then I got involved in the stuff for the redevelopment. I've been proud to have been a small part of helping us get the fantastic stadium we now have. 

So yeah, that got a bit deep and meaningful but there you go. :city:

16 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Why do I go to football? My first ever game was that City v Rovers derby back in the 90's where it all kicked off after (Peter Beadle was playing) and part of me liked the edge it had to it, the potential risk gave me a buzz. My mum banned me from going as she'd seen what happened on the telly, and so I didn't then go for a couple of years until (as most of you know) I was looking after a disabled lad who wanted to go and watch a game. I started taking him, he sat on my lap down the front of the Williams and we went regularly for years. When I left that job back in 2009 I had to get my own season ticket, and out of habit and now love for my team I kept going, initially on my own for a bit. 

Made many friends (and broken the odd heart) through football, but I go mainly because I bloody love it. I love the excitement when it's match day.  I've introduced many kids to football over the years. My goddaughter started coming when she was 6. She wanted to watch football and her g*shead family wouldn't take her, so I did. She's 16 now and is still coming, she wouldn't be a g*shead now if you paid her. And now I'm fostering the kids I have living with me as a result of that come with me too. 

Partly habit as well I guess, I got involved with the SC&T way back when it started (over 10 years ago now) so I could feel like I was trying to have more of a say in my football club. I felt back then as well that us girls still had a point to prove that we were going because of the football, and not just to ogle at the men (although that has its plus points sometimes ;) ) and then I got involved in the stuff for the redevelopment. I've been proud to have been a small part of helping us get the fantastic stadium we now have. 

So yeah, that got a bit deep and meaningful but there you go. :city:

No

Yes

Love you, need you, want you

For many years - thirty or more - it was an opportunity to meet up with my brother (late of OTIB, starter of one of the finer "classic" threads) after we'd moved away from Bristol. When he died I had that drift away that I guess many people in similar circumstances experience - made all the easier by the inept performances on the pitch. But Cott's team drew me back, and home and away watching City has continued to offer a place to see old friends from the London branch, meet up with my now scattered kids...and enjoy @GrahamC's appreciations of the efforts of the officials...

I started taking my ten year old son to City last year 39 years after i watched my first game at Ashton Gate. He's hooked!! 

When there was a mix up with the collection only of Burnley tickets for the FA cup i said i'd take him to Southampton to watch the Arsenal game. He looked like he was gonna to cry. (Not with happiness)  I would've given my right arm to have gone to a game at that age but goes to show City gets into the bloodstream very easily and once it's there it stays. It's not just about the football.

9 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

I go because it's my outlet from my busy day job, which at time is extremely stressful. I have been following City for just over 40 years and in that time I have seen many highs and lows. I enjoy going to meet with my mates, to discuss the up's and downs of our beloved football club. As like all of you, I love to see my team win, but at times it's not always the case especially over recent weeks. Will i ever stop going, no, as i enjoy my football days and nights.

Ive been going 55 years   and following city  is much more stressful than the day job !

12 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Why do I go to football? My first ever game was that City v Rovers derby back in the 90's where it all kicked off after (Peter Beasley was playing) and part of me liked the edge it had to it, the potential risk gave me a buzz...

I've got to ask, Peter Beasley? Who is he? Was he playing for us or them? Apologies, don't recognise that name...

Good on yer @Dollymarie:)

For its the glue that keeps me in touch with friends when we can't seem to plan it otherwise.  Its the thing I can always chat about with my kids, when maybe we don't always feel like talking about the serious stuff of life. I embrace the highs and these days pretty much leave the lows behind as I walk out of the ground.  Football's important in my life but, oddly, at the same time it doesn't really matter.

Oh shit, I think I've turned into a hippy!!

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Ok, Aristotle....have you given up smoking??!

No. Smoking less though.

But neither have I given up texting the Doris to say 'I'm in the pub, but I'll be back in half an hour'. Only to get back 3 hours after my suggested arrival time, being somewhat wobbly and trying my best to find an excuse that is better than 'But BEER!!!!'

Have yet to mention the beamback on Tuesday. Might leave that till later.

Archived