IGNORED

Non-League League

Eddie Hitler

Since the old closed shop of the bottom club in Division 4 applying for re-election and getting it there has been a decent amount of movement between the league and the non-league, and yes I know that Rovers are amongst that but it's not a Rovers-bashing thread.  From interest I've had a first go at these, though I am not Statto incarnate so please feel free to amend, taking any club that has been in non-league since the war as a rule of thumb:

Div 1

None that I can see.

Div 2

1. Burton
  2. Wigan

Div 3

1. Rovers
  2. Oxford
  3. MK Dons
  4. Wimbledon
  5. Shrewsbury

Div 4

1. Exeter
  2. Luton
  3. Wycombe
  4. Barnet
  5. Morecambe
  6. Yeovil
  7. Cheltenham
  8. Accrington Stanley
  9. Crawley

Probably loads more in Div 4, I don't know it that well.  So that's 16 out of 92, or nearly a fifth of teams that have done their time outside the league proper.

Scarborough were the first club to be automatically promoted from the Conference in 1987, but went bust in 2007. The phoenix club Scarborough Athletic are now plying their trade in the Northern Premier League Div 1 North (8th tier of the pyramid), and, after years in exile, they'll now be returning to a purpose-built ground in the town.

I find it interesting that Doncaster and our neighbours dropped out of the League for one season, bounced back and won promotion to the third tier the following season. Some other clubs having been promoted to the League for the first time soon climbed the ladder; Wigan all the way to the Prem, Burton to the Championship.

Gillingham had been in the League but were voted out in 1938. They got back in when the League was expanded twenty years later. 1939 saw Rovers finish at the foot of Div 3 South, but at the AGM in June 39, they were voted back in. Can you imagine the posts on here if the forum had been around then?

There were at one time five clubs in the League with X in their name; Halifax, Wrexham, Oxford, Exeter and Crewe Alex. The first four have all been relegated from the League and Crewe might yet be this year. Halifax disbanded, reformed and folded again. Wrexham are near the top of the National League, Exeter & Oxford have both regained League status. I believe the last three clubs to be voted out of the League were Barrow (replaced by Hereford), Workington (Wigan?) and Southport (Cambridge).

Bradford PA were voted out about 1970, but I'm not sure who replaced them.

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

So that's 16 out of 92, or nearly a fifth of teams that have done their time outside the league proper.

With the other names thrown in, it's now 26 out of 92; 28%. Half of the National League are former Football League clubs, I have included Gateshead in that. They were in the League until about 1960 and Ken Wimshurst had played for them before ending up at AG.

37 minutes ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Scarborough were the first club to be automatically promoted from the Conference in 1987, but went bust in 2007. The phoenix club Scarborough Athletic are now plying their trade in the Northern Premier League Div 1 North (8th tier of the pyramid), and, after years in exile, they'll now be returning to a purpose-built ground in the town.

Funnily enough I`ve just been reading about Boston United currently in the conference north. They`re also getting a new stadium in the town and seem to be on the up again.

Scarborough. On the last day of one particular season they thought they had stayed up and fans & players were celebrating on the pitch with that day's visiting fans. Then the news came through that Jimmy Glass a goalie on loan had scored for Carlisle in the 96th minute meaning Carlisle remained in the League and Scarborough were back in the Conference. Cheers literally turned to tears.

Lincolnshire has been badly hit with relegation out of the League; Boston, Lincoln & Grimsby leaving just Scunny with unbroken League membership.

Devon has seen Exeter and Torquay relegated and come back up, although Torquay were relegated again.

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Since the old closed shop of the bottom club in Division 4 applying for re-election and getting it there has been a decent amount of movement between the league and the non-league, and yes I know that Rovers are amongst that but it's not a Rovers-bashing thread.  From interest I've had a first go at these, though I am not Statto incarnate so please feel free to amend, taking any club that has been in non-league since the war as a rule of thumb:

Div 1

None that I can see.

Div 2

1. Burton
  2. Wigan

Div 3

1. Rovers
  2. Oxford
  3. MK Dons
  4. Wimbledon
  5. Shrewsbury

Div 4

1. Exeter
  2. Luton
  3. Wycombe
  4. Barnet
  5. Morecambe
  6. Yeovil
  7. Cheltenham
  8. Accrington Stanley
  9. Crawley

Probably loads more in Div 4, I don't know it that well.  So that's 16 out of 92, or nearly a fifth of teams that have done their time outside the league proper.

There are currently 13 clubs in the national league  and 7 in the national league north

3 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Yes Barrow I think the first team I can remember not getting re-election and going down, about 1973ish ?

1972 they were replaced by Hereford. Barrow had finished the season with two teams beneath them in the League, but they got more votes than Barrow did. Having had a good FA cup run, Hereford touted round drumming up support. City agreed to vote for Hereford unless Newport sought reelection.

Newport; 2nd club to be relegated from the League and having folded are back in the League.

There's some big (in relative terms) clubs in the Vanarama North - Darlington, Stockport, Halifax, plus Boston and Kidderminster who were in the league not that long ago. Plus FC United who get big crowds, Salford and Fylde who are bankrolled, and some traditonal big non league sides like Altrincham (who have 9 points all season and are rooted at the bottom), Nuneaton and Tamworth.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

1986-87 saw the introduction of auto relegation to the conference. Lincoln were the first team out, but if Burnley had picked up one less point, they would have dropped as their GD was worse than Lincoln's.

Didn't Swansea dodge a "last day of the season relegation from the leagues bullet" once also ?

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Scarborough. On the last day of one particular season they thought they had stayed up and fans & players were celebrating on the pitch with that day's visiting fans. Then the news came through that Jimmy Glass a goalie on loan had scored for Carlisle in the 96th minute meaning Carlisle remained in the League and Scarborough were back in the Conference. Cheers literally turned to tears.

Lincolnshire has been badly hit with relegation out of the League; Boston, Lincoln & Grimsby leaving just Scunny with unbroken League membership.

Devon has seen Exeter and Torquay relegated and come back up, although Torquay were relegated again.

Yes. My father in law was one of those Scarborough fans. Must've been a real gutter.

Archived