IGNORED

So, when did we last throw away a 3 goal lead?

headhunter

14 minutes ago, publandlord said:

I was there in 1970  3-0 to City, wonderful volley from Gerry Gow, hit directly from a corner, probably the best goal I have ever seen live in watching football for 50 years.

Sheffield scored 3 in the last 10 minutes as far as I remember.

That's right. Then 12 months later City were 3-0 up at Hillsborough at HT and we all thought "Oh no"! That City team pressed home their advantage though and scored two more in the second half and SW scored one at the very end of the game when Cashley and a defender left the ball for each other. :grr:

Memo to the current team; please score five before conceding a last minute goal. :P

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

OK, did he come on as sub, maybe? I'm sure someone made their debut that game.

No City sub used.

City team: Gibson, Stacey, Drysdale, Whimshurst, Connor, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe.

Goals: Galley 27, 50, Gow 63.

Sheff Utd: Hodgkinson, Badger, Hemsley, Powell, Colquhoun, Salmons, Woodward, Barnwell, Dearden, Currie, Reece (Barnwell subbed for Tudor).

Goals: Woodward 66, Dearden 72, Tudor 89.

12 minutes ago, The_Don said:

Remember that game well, one of the more memorable away days as a young lad. A Sunday afternoon trip to the East Midlands & live on "The Big Match" on HTV.

So many things I`d forgotten from it. Sutton dragging down Gary Shelton and it being referred to as `male rape` by John Sillet in the studio, being tormented by another player that always used to score against us, Paul Simpson.

Happy days!

51 minutes ago, 22A said:

That's right. Then 12 months later City were 3-0 up at Hillsborough at HT and we all thought "Oh no"! That City team pressed home their advantage though and scored two more in the second half and SW scored one at the very end of the game when Cashley and a defender left the ball for each other. :grr:

Memo to the current team; please score five before conceding a last minute goal. :P

I was there.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

So many things I`d forgotten from it. Sutton dragging down Gary Shelton and it being referred to as `male rape` by John Sillet in the studio, being tormented by another player that always used to score against us, Paul Simpson.

Happy days!

Remember watching the video when I got back and it Sillet and Jimmy Greaves (I think) in the studio.

It was all very Derby biased, great viewing after pulling off a surprise win.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

The debutante at Sheff U 1970-71 was Steve Stacey at right back. He played the next 8 games and did not get another first team game until he went to Ipswich. 

Got that a bit wrong mate. We signed him from ITFC for 5K  I saw (what I thought ) was his debut away at Luton, lost 3-0 or something. He was very poor on his return, didn't last long and went to Exeter . One of the first black guys to play league football (certainly for city).

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Got that a bit wrong mate. We signed him from ITFC for 5K  I saw (what I thought ) was his debut away at Luton, lost 3-0 or something. He was very poor on his return, didn't last long and went to Exeter . One of the first black guys to play league football (certainly for city).

Yes you are correct, how did I get that wrong as he was a friend of mine in our teens. He started at City but left for Wrexham without playing in the first team, then Ipswich and back to City.

The Luton away match was the first of seven defeats on the bounce of which Steve played in the first four until subbed at Middlesbro. In total 9 games of which one win, three draws and five defeats. That season we finished 19th just avoiding the drop, yet again. Stats courtesy David Wood's book

51 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It was! It was the gas. 

My point exactly. I cannot believe fans are really being honest when they say that a three three draw at Derby having been three goals up is worse than a League Cup defeat to Bristol Rovers having at one stage been three goals up in the tie...And at home to boot!

I dare say these are the same posters who were over the Moon when we knocked the Gas out of the Mickey Mouse Paint Trophy a couple of seasons ago.

Archived