IGNORED

I've seen enough!

SStandUp

*hopefully worth the read

In my opinion, I've seen enough to justify Lee Johnsons position as our head coach.

I was at the game Saturday (Derby), and that first half performance had me laughing to myself. It's no exaggeration to suggest that the display was one of the best from a Bristol City side in 15+ years (bearing in mind the opposition). The second half performance, apart from the 3 goals conceded, wasn't far off either - we could of and maybe should of scored 3 or 4 more goals & a couple of lapses in concentration (again) was inevitably our downfall. 

But this has been the case for the last 3 months, how many times have we all left a game frustrated with the result, because yet again moments of poor quality, in a performance full of positives, had let us down! 

In a lot of games, I honestly feel Lee Johnsons tactics have given us the best possible chance of a result. People dislike LJ's habit of changing the side. However, a lot of times this season, the side has been spot on. For example, that Reading game - the team news came out & Joe Bryan was starting centre mid. People straight away questioned it (including myself), but it was a genius move. For 70mins it couldn't of been more perfect. But that mentality set in and we all know what happened. 

I just feel at the moment, the players are getting an easy ride. When they play well, it's all down to them and their quality. When we play poorly, "Johnson doesn't know what he's doing". I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways! You can't scapegoat Johnson when a side is 3-0 up and playing absolutely unbelievable and then crumble to 3-3 - it's deluded. Players have to take a lot of reponsibility. Our performance in that 2nd half was still top draw for an away side. But 3 poor Derby goals later, it's Johnson out, despite our 2 CB's allowing Tom Ince and Darren Bent 2 free headers in the box (and yes, there is no doubt they work on this in training!!!). 

Then ofcourse, people jump on his "in game management". Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In hindsight, it's impossible to get everything right. Saturday, Johnson brings on Djuric for Taylor. At the time, it was the right move for the game. It gave us an outlet so many times, it's what allowed us to still get up the field and have several dangerous attacks. However, it ends 3-3 and all those genius managers out there are slating Johnson for bringing on another striker and not changing the midfield - despite Bryan, Bownhill, Hegeler and Cotterill still playing out of there skin! 

Listen, I'm not saying LJ is perfect, but I feel if you take a step back and have a less narrow minded view of the current situation, Johnson isn't doing to badly at all and has been let down on numerous occasions. Having said that, our squad is the strongest one we've ever had and when they start playing to their potential for a full 90mins, things will look very good! 

I'm sure people will find holes in this, and negatives upon Johnson, but it was just an alternative view on current affairs.

Up the City. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

In my opinion, I've seen enough to justify Lee Johnsons position as our head coach.

I was at the game Saturday (Derby), and that first half performance had me laughing to myself. It's no exaggeration to suggest that the display was one of the best from a Bristol City side in 15+ years (bearing in mind the opposition). The second half performance, apart from the 3 goals conceded, wasn't far off either - we could of and maybe should of scored 3 or 4 more goals & a couple of lapses in concentration (again) was inevitably our downfall. 

But this has been the case for the last 3 months, how many times have we all left a game frustrated with the result, because yet again moments of poor quality, in a performance full of positives, had let us down! 

In a lot of games, I honestly feel Lee Johnsons tactics have given us the best possible chance of a result. People dislike LJ's habit of changing the side. However, a lot of times this season, the side has been spot on. For example, that Reading game - the team news came out & Joe Bryan was starting centre mid. People straight away questioned it (including myself), but it was a genius move. For 70mins it couldn't of been more perfect. But that mentality set in and we all know what happened. 

I just feel at the moment, the players are getting an easy ride. When they play well, it's all down to them and their quality. When we play poorly, "Johnson doesn't know what he's doing". I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways! You can't scapegoat Johnson when a side is 3-0 up and playing absolutely unbelievable and then crumble to 3-3 - it's deluded. Players have to take a lot of reponsibility. Our performance in that 2nd half was still top draw for an away side. But 3 poor Derby goals later, it's Johnson out, despite our 2 CB's allowing Tom Ince and Darren Bent 2 free headers in the box (and yes, there is no doubt they work on this in training!!!). 

Then ofcourse, people jump on his "in game management". Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In hindsight, it's impossible to get everything right. Saturday, Johnson brings on Djuric for Taylor. At the time, it was the right move for the game. It gave us an outlet so many times, it's what allowed us to still get up the field and have several dangerous attacks. However, it ends 3-3 and all those genius managers out there are slating Johnson for bringing on another striker and not changing the midfield - despite Bryan, Bownhill, Hegeler and Cotterill still playing out of there skin! 

Listen, I'm not saying LJ is perfect, but I feel if you take a step back and have a less narrow minded view of the current situation, Johnson isn't doing to badly at all and has been let down on numerous occasions. Having said that, our squad is the strongest one we've ever had and when they start playing to their potential for a full 90mins, things will look very good! 

I'm sure people will find holes in this, and negatives upon Johnson, but it was just an alternative view on current affairs.

Up the City. 

Thanks Lee...........

22 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City. 

Very good post.

The problem is, 1 win in 15 games and one excellent performance in which we still concede 3 goals. Doesn't really convince me LJ is the man to take us forward. I would rather we had played shite at Derby and won 1-0 tbh.

18 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Very good post.

The problem is, 1 win in 15 games and one excellent performance in which we still concede 3 goals. Doesn't really convince me LJ is the man to take us forward. I would rather we had played shite at Derby and won 1-0 tbh.

We played poorly against Rotherham and won 1-0 and the majority booed and slated Johnson. That's the frustrations I have at the moment, no ones ever happy. Agreed, the last 3 months have been unacceptable, but the inconsistency with fans views is beyond deluded! 

19 minutes ago, Ayteomike2 said:

So what about 2nd half what went wrong in the dressing room 

Honestly, the 2nd half wasn't even a bad performance. 2 lapses in concentration from our CB's and dodgy pen was the only difference. Very harsh and poor to blame a LJ team talk mate 

57 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

It's no exaggeration to suggest that the display was one of the best from a Bristol City side in 15+ years (bearing in mind the opposition). The second half performance, apart from the 3 goals conceded, wasn't far off either -

Glad you enjoyed it;  but sorry; the irony of this part is the difference between a winner and a loser.

For all our sakes I hope he can turn it around; but I have very little faith.

To ForeverRes.

This is the ninth time we have capitulated to lose points in the last ten minutes of a game. The goals conceded have lost us enough points to take us to 11th in the table.

Sure, the players are responsible for carrying out their own part of the jigsaw but the Head coach is the one with overall responsibility for the whole playing staff, training, fitness and results. Just the same as a company chairman or the Prime Minister if things go tits up. 

How many more times will City fans see "deja vu" in the remaining matches of this season? Things have to change or we get relegated.

Small crumbs I suspect, and not a happy-clapper, but I do see a sense of change.  How possibly can that be?

We have started to get points.  A month ago, we wouldn't have gone 3-0 up.  Yeah, I know we stuffed up, but I do feel an improving confidence.  5 points from 3 games.  I really feared we'd not get a win versus Wednesday and Rotherham.  Everyone was going, 4 points minimum or he loses his job.  That was a tough ask.  It was more likely defeat v Wednesday and a win at Rotherham, so 3 points, folllwed by defeat v Derby.  Although I thought Rotherham was the banana skin.  

So I do feel we are more caoable of getting results than a month ago.  Tough game tomorrow, but I feel that LJ is starting to know more of his sure-fire starters than at any other point this season.  I don't agree with all of them.

28 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Could you clarify that: strongest we've had this season or ever? Genuine question, I liked your post. Wouldn't agree 100% but am intrigued by this statement (above).

23 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes our squad around 75 to 80 would have shaded it ithink

Tbf I'm only guessing that he's a young pup but this squad is so far better than the league 1 winning squad,its levels. As for the 75 80 squad now that is a easy answer,bigger squads nowadays obviously but not many from this team would get in the starting 11 of that team. Also maradona was better than messi and ronaldo put together 

6 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Could you clarify that: strongest we've had this season or ever? Genuine question, I liked your post. Wouldn't agree 100% but am intrigued by this statement (above).

Sorry yeh, it's the strongest I've seen to clarify, not necessarily ever. 

8 hours ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

Glad you enjoyed it;  but sorry; the irony of this part is the difference between a winner and a loser.

For all our sakes I hope he can turn it around; but I have very little faith.

I was more so getting at the point that everyone is suggesting our second half display was poor and Johnsons half time team talk was at fault. However, we played very well in that 2nd half, apart from the 2 lapses in concentration from our CB's - which agreed, is not good enough If we want to win matches! 

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

To ForeverRes.

This is the ninth time we have capitulated to lose points in the last ten minutes of a game. The goals conceded have lost us enough points to take us to 11th in the table.

Sure, the players are responsible for carrying out their own part of the jigsaw but the Head coach is the one with overall responsibility for the whole playing staff, training, fitness and results. Just the same as a company chairman or the Prime Minister if things go tits up. 

How many more times will City fans see "deja vu" in the remaining matches of this season? Things have to change or we get relegated.

It's a difficult one isn't it, the reasoning behind the collapses. But in my opinion, a head coach/ manager can only set a team up before the game. Whether or not this is carried out during the game or for the full 90mins is down to the players. I've seen us set up so well during the majority of games, it has given us a chance of getting points in almost every one. However, we fail to carry out our duties for the full 90 - which I find hard to blame Johnson for. 

I remember Pep Guardiola saying he can only set a team up and half an influence upon 80% of the pitch - what happens in either box is almost out of his control during the 90 - well if this rings true, Johnson is probably getting things right most of the time! 

But I agree with you, every part of the jigsaw has to come together and if it doesn't, inevitably it's the managers head that rolls. 

I've seen enough to say he can't continue, he has 3 wins in the last 20 league games , once we concede one, we fall apart, we need 4 goals to actually win a game,

Yes the football on show isn't the worst in the world but we have got a losing mentality and I can't see lee changing that

Good thread, I've seen enough to know Lee will be here for the rest of the season, as I'm sure we'll finish at least 4 places above the relegation spots, but will this form be good enough for next season?  Next year, we'll need to see significant progress and a competitive City team aiming for the top 10.  Will Lee be the man to deliver this?

12 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City. 

Playing well,very well and still finding a way to lose or draw from a commanding position??........play as well as you like,we have history and if this keeps happening were down........at two,even 3-0 nil up,the next time this occurs why don't we just try continuing with the things that got us into that place......??-we clearly can't close a game out,so.......

Archived