IGNORED

Our last 11 league defeats...

Kid in the Riot

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

or am I saying as a strictly experimental test let's get relegated and give him the biggest budget in league one and say 3 more transfer windows and see if our bad luck, our having to play teams who are better than us, only losing by 1 goal, referees who hate us are the reason we are in our current position or could it be poor signings, poor tactics, poor team selections and far too much tinkering that are too blame.

I said :yes: or :disapointed2se:.

I did not say :yes::disapointed2se: or :dunno:/:grr:, did I?

You are overdoing the sarcasm: stop it now before you upset the Happy Clappers.

:nono:

tfj

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To me though the margin of defeat cannot be an excuse when it is happening on such a consistent basis and this actually confirms that there is something quite fundamentally wrong. If you are unable to get draws or wins when you are only narrowly losing games then it shows a lack of understanding what the problems are and how to overcome them.

Best post I have read in a while!

How many of these defeats have been down to controversial penalties or dodgy offside goals? I can think of lost points at Cardiff, Derby and Wolves without even breaking sweat. Add 6 points due to those decisions and we move up the table. I'm sure there's more as well.

But, surely, all teams can lay claim to having lost points for the same reasons so you can reshuffle the results as much as you like but won't the relative positions of each team be, more or less, the same!? 

1 hour ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Statistically i think LJ muat be the unluckiest manager we've ever had.  So many of those games could have gone the other way and we'd be thinking about the play offs.

As Napoleon said ' bring me lucky Generals '.

Bad luck can excuse perhaps two or three matches ( often evened out with good luck ) but over thirty odd  matches ! 

Luck doesn't come into it .

We are badly organised and the coach is totally responsible for the mess we're in .

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Of our last 15 league games we've lost 11...all by a single goal. Seriously, what are the chances?

For a team to lose 11 of 15 games you'd assume they must be an awful team that had taken several drubbings, yet we haven't taken a single one. I was thinking when it happened that our 8 game club record losing run must've also been a record in English football as no team can possibly have lost 8 straight games by a goal before.

I know there have been threads discussing stats before and how we continue to create lots of chances and have a decent share of possession but still lose. That was the case again last night as we had more possession, overall shots, shots on target and corners than Leeds. I thought I'd look at the stats for Derby v Cardiff (3 - 4) and Cardiff had a grand total of 32% possession and 8 shots on target and have scored 4 goals away from home! We had 9 shots on target last night and just the 1 goal to show for it. Wigan won at Wolves last night despite having only 42% possession and 2 shots on target, Barnsley won 3-1 at Villa despite having only 43% possession and 6 shots on target etc you get the picture!

Now I believe that because these defeats have been narrow and statistically speaking we look to have been 'in' all these games is quite a significant reason as to why LJ is still in a job. If we had lost these games by an average of 2/3 goals (similar was happening in last couple of months under SC) then I think he'd have gone a few weeks ago.

To me though the margin of defeat cannot be an excuse when it is happening on such a consistent basis and this actually confirms that there is something quite fundamentally wrong. If you are unable to get draws or wins when you are only narrowly losing games then it shows a lack of understanding what the problems are and how to overcome them.

LJ has not been able to get that extra few % from his players needed to turn our fortunes and after over 3 months of trying somebody else must be given the opportunity to try. The good news is it probably really is just a few basic tweaks that an experienced manager at this level could make and I believe we'd be up that table and away from the relegation zone in no time at all. Hate to say it but see Cardiff City for the perfect example of this.

Please act now Steve, the situation is still very much rescuable.

and do you know what despite you being 100% right there are still people on here who unbelievably say he will turn it around, not 1 person in any job you could name would now be in their job if we had been half as inept as him.

3 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Statistically i think LJ muat be the unluckiest manager we've ever had.  So many of those games could have gone the other way and we'd be thinking about the play offs.

Did you really just use the words 'statistically' and 'unluckiest' together to make a point?

I admire your ongoing defence of LJ.  I was a bit like you until pre-game Reading at home.  I've even lapsed over the past two weeks, thinking I'm being disloyal, but I've given myself a slap round the chops again. :P

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Listened to Chris Iwelumo on Talksport on Sunday when they review the championship

When talking about us he said he did his coaching badges with LJ and was then a player under him at Oldham

Said LJ is very precise , very detailed and would hammer a player who made a mistake

He said , in LJs defence , having hammered the player he would then work on th training ground with him

Make of that, pluses / minuses  what you will

I'm afraid the view of someone actually in the pro game who knows LJ is not admissible evidence around here. Strike it from the record.:shifty:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Did you really just use the words 'statistically' and 'unluckiest' together to make a point?

I admire your ongoing defence of LJ.  I was a bit like you until pre-game Reading at home.  I've even lapsed over the past two weeks, thinking I'm being disloyal, but I've given myself a slap round the chops again. :P

Damn, I did. Statistically unlucky :D A great defence of our leader! :D

3 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

How many of these defeats have been down to controversial penalties or dodgy offside goals? I can think of lost points at Cardiff, Derby and Wolves without even breaking sweat. Add 6 points due to those decisions and we move up the table. I'm sure there's more as well.

But, surely, all teams can lay claim to having lost points for the same reasons so you can reshuffle the results as much as you like but won't the relative positions of each team be, more or less, the same!? 

Probably, but I'd be interested to see a list of penalties conceded by each club. I'd bet we'd be near the top of pens conceded and near the bottom of pens awarded.

If i remember rightly someone used to do a "real" league table, showing results if correct decisions had been awarded. Not sure if if ever extended to the championship but it would be interesting reading.

I'm not saying that all the results would be evened out, but it would only take two or three to turn things around in a huge way. Imagine a win at Cardiff, draw at Wolves and win at Derby. Our run suddenly doesn't look too bad and probably wouldn't be as close to LJ losing his job.

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Probably, but I'd be interested to see a list of penalties conceded by each club. I'd bet we'd be near the top of pens conceded and near the bottom of pens awarded.

If i remember rightly someone used to do a "real" league table, showing results if correct decisions had been awarded. Not sure if if ever extended to the championship but it would be interesting reading.

I'm not saying that all the results would be evened out, but it would only take two or three to turn things around in a huge way. Imagine a win at Cardiff, draw at Wolves and win at Derby. Our run suddenly doesn't look too bad and probably wouldn't be as close to LJ losing his job.

Just to add - Statbunker has us in second place for penalties conceded and twelfth for penalties awarded.

15 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

# Club Successful Conceded penalties Missed Defence rate
1 FC Reading FC Reading 11 18 7 38,9 %
2 FC Fulham FC Fulham 6 14 8 57,1 %
3 Birmingham City Birmingham City 9 12 3 25,0 %
4 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton & Hove Albion 8 12 4 33,3 %
5 Cardiff City Cardiff City 11 11 0 0,0 %
6 FC Barnsley FC Barnsley 9 11 2 18,2 %
7 Aston Villa Aston Villa 8 11 3 27,3 %
8 Bristol City Bristol City 8 11 3 27,3 %
9 Ipswich Town Ipswich Town 9 10 1 10,0 %
10 Norwich City Norwich City 6 10 4 40,0 %
11 Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers 5 10 5 50,0 %
12 Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolverhampton Wanderers 8 9 1 11,1 %
13 Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday 7 9 2 22,2 %
14 Leeds United Leeds United 8 8 0 0,0 %
15 Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers 6 8 2 25,0 %
16 Derby County Derby County 5 8 3 37,5 %
17 Rotherham United Rotherham United 4 8 4 50,3 %
18 Preston North End Preston North End 4 7 3 42,9 %
19 FC Brentford FC Brentford 4 7 3 42,9 %
20 Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest 3 7 4 57,1 %
21 Newcastle United Newcastle United 3 6 3 50,0 %
22 Burton Albion Burton Albion 5 5 0 0,0 %
23 Huddersfield Town Huddersfield Town 3 4 1 25,0 %
24 Wigan Athletic Wigan Athletic 2 4 2

50,0 %

Wish granted.

Great post. I can't believe this is just bad luck, something is just not right somewhere for me it's the constant tinkering and the formation changes are not helping our cause. We need a settled formation and we need to stick with it as players need to gel in doing this I'm convinced that we can stave off relegation. Lee please stop dicking about with the team grow some balls and stick with two up top in a 4-4-2 as we did at Derby. Failing that RESIGN

20 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

As Napoleon said ' bring me lucky Generals '.

Bad luck can excuse perhaps two or three matches ( often evened out with good luck ) but over thirty odd  matches ! 

Luck doesn't come into it .

We are badly organised and the coach is totally responsible for the mess we're in .

Respectfully disagree Major, with all the different variables in a football match, a fair bit of luck is involved.

It's like that awful cliche that pundits always use "luck evens itself out over a season". Of course it doesn't, you absolutely could be on the end of many bad decisions and only one or two in your favour.

Archived