IGNORED

Claudio Ranieri

myol'man

1) My view on Tinkering is that Sir Alex would always play the best team to beat what he had in front of him, so tinkering is fine from me.

2) Correlation can work both ways. You assume that a settled team leads to more wins. Perhaps more wins leads to a settled team instead and the cause & effect is the other way around. 

1 minute ago, RichardEdd said:

Oddly i think Mark Schwarzer was the first last season, he did it the other way round though - Chelsea to Leicester. Although I'm not sure he even played a game for either.

That's a good shout that. 

pub quizzers might find that question pop up soon or indeed good old question of sport. 

On 2/15/2017 at 22:01, myol'man said:

Last season he he was able to play a fairly settled team. Result, Leicester win the Premier League.

This season he has reverted to Tickerman , Result, Leicester are one point above the drop zone.

Conclusion; Play a settled team.

Discuss

Has someone mentioned that he met Lee Johnson in the close season and this might explain where he got his new tinkerman mantle from. 

P.s. Allegedly. 

I appreciate I'm playing devil's advocate here, but isn't playing a settled team a bit of a chicken and egg thing?

For example, after winning 2-0 at home to Ipswich Town, Lee Johnson stuck with the same side for the match at Huddersfield Town - a game in which we produced one of our worst performances of the season and lost 2-1. Would you say he should have then gone with the same team for the Brentford fixture, despite the horrendous performance?

I would totally agree with anyone who says LJ has changed the team too many times too often this season, I wouldn't dispute that point. But at the same time this "successful sides play a settled team" theory is way too simplistic because you'll only stick with an XI if it's playing well and winning.

During the double-winning season, as someone else used that as an example above, would we have kept such a settled side had we not started so brilliantly?

Of course, a good manager is able to build a team of good players and find a successful way of playing. Has LJ done that? I'd say he definitely hasn't mastered the second part of that equation - and that's the biggest reason we're in a relegation battle, not because he loves a tinker.

1 hour ago, walkingtalkingred said:

Speaking of kante. 

If he were to win the league this year with Chelsea. Would he be the first player to win the premiership title back to back with different teams? 

Yes

1 hour ago, RichardEdd said:

Oddly i think Mark Schwarzer was the first last season, he did it the other way round though - Chelsea to Leicester. Although I'm not sure he even played a game for either.

Schwarzer did not play enough matches for Leicester to actually get a winners medal.  Chelsea had to request the Premier League to issue him a medal the year before for the same reason.  So it kind of depends on your interpretation.  Personally if you're not deemed to have contributed enough to receive a medal i'd say you can't be considered to have been part of that winning team.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-leicester-players-who-premier-7890961

15 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I appreciate I'm playing devil's advocate here, but isn't playing a settled team a bit of a chicken and egg thing?

For example, after winning 2-0 at home to Ipswich Town, Lee Johnson stuck with the same side for the match at Huddersfield Town - a game in which we produced one of our worst performances of the season and lost 2-1. Would you say he should have then gone with the same team for the Brentford fixture, despite the horrendous performance?

I would totally agree with anyone who says LJ has changed the team too many times too often this season, I wouldn't dispute that point. But at the same time this "successful sides play a settled team" theory is way too simplistic because you'll only stick with an XI if it's playing well and winning.

During the double-winning season, as someone else used that as an example above, would we have kept such a settled side had we not started so brilliantly?

Of course, a good manager is able to build a team of good players and find a successful way of playing. Has LJ done that? I'd say he definitely hasn't mastered the second part of that equation - and that's the biggest reason we're in a relegation battle, not because he loves a tinker.

Surely that's just playing the same formation, not playing a settled team. It would be unlikely that the team was the same before Ipswich. 

On 15/02/2017 at 14:01, myol'man said:

Last season he he was able to play a fairly settled team. Result, Leicester win the Premier League.

This season he has reverted to Tickerman , Result, Leicester are one point above the drop zone.

Conclusion; Play a settled team.

Discuss

Correction: 

Last season he had Ngolo Kante, who stopped anyone getting at the defence. They win the league. 

This season Chelsea have him, they're going to win the league. Leicesters defence looks like it has previously (Huth, Simpson, Morgan, Fuchs had never looked like league winners before!)

Conclusion: Have Ngolo Kante :thumbsup:

Archived