IGNORED

City's bitter romance with the Championship

reddogkev

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Indeed you can have your opinion, but if your contention is that SL has hindered the club, rather than helped it, or has caused more damage than good, as you put it, then your opinion is undeniably wrong!!!

And the above, is my opinion on the matter!

What he has done off the pitch has been commendable, the investment on it, has been a joke.

2 minutes ago, lancsred said:

What he has done off the pitch has been commendable, the investment on it, has been a joke.

Joke?  Very harsh indeed, I don't know if you're being serious.  The investment has been fine, the transfer budget / salary available is perfectly appropriate for City.

Where would we be without SL?  Who knows, perhaps in doldrums of League One, perhaps even lower.

Are you being serious?

As bad as it sounds it doesn't help that Bristol as a City is not overly desirable. I love Bristol, it's home but in 25 years I've lived in Cardiff I've watched Cardiff turn from a City that was arguably behind Bristol to one that is by far excelling it. If you look at how Cardiff City center has grown, how they've developed a huge sports area at Cardiff bay and how all aspects of sport are welcomed and then take a look at Bristol, a City that seems to fight stadiums, got rid of it's ice rink and never replaced it and generally hasn't grown even half as much as Cardiff is I think it's fair to say the City itself doesn't help.

I know this seems irrelevant but it's not, if a player is looking to join a club and has multiple options they are informed of their potential new home and when you consider Bristol is very traditional and in my opinion, stuck in the past, it isn't exactly what the young, hungry footballers tend to be interested in. I'd say that has a large impact in the players we can draw in so rather than getting that really big potential player we get a decent, but more accepting player who feels they are reaching their max potential with us. Looking at Tammy there is no way he'd leave London to move to Bristol permanently yet if Cardiff were contending for the play offs they would look a lot more interesting.

I know a lot of people may get pissed off that I'm essentially saying Cardiff is a better option than us but based on the last 10 years of football is it really? Cardiff have had a lot of players go into the Premiership from them, they've also been in the Premiership, albeit one season and they're more likely to pay the better wages.

With regards to our own undoings, it has to be down to bad top position decisions. Cotterill fell out with the board and we had a squad that was bare bones as no-one seemed to be coming in and this ended badly as the board saw the fans frustrations as enough of an excuse to get rid due to their personal views of him, or at least that is what I believe. Now we have two yes men, Robins and Johnson. Robins may be helping us get good players through the door but LJ is not tactically strong or a motivator by what we've seen which leaves me asking why we've appointed LJ when we were going to have Robins doing the recruiting. If we have a man doing negotiations, signing players etc then surely our appointment should be of someone who is good at taking a prebuilt squad, motivating them and installing his tactics and philosophy on them, all things that LJ is not doing.

I think it has to come down to SL, as a business man he is amazing and certainly the man we want in control of that area of the club, but as a footballing mind he is lacking and we need someone far more capable of making good managerial appointments. We also need to sherk this bloody "jobs for the boys" attitude! I saw someone suggesting that at the end of the season Wilbraham should become a coach..... why?! Because he's old and likely to retire soon? Well, when he retires good luck to him but what does he have to offer? His playing career? Hardly a touch on a coach who has worked with strikers for years and has experience. We need to stop being so damn nice and start getting rid of staff and players that do not help the club grow stronger.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Are we currently able to attract a proven head coach?

What salary do we offer to our managers?  Does City look an enticing prospect for successful managers?

Personally, I agree with hiring the LJ (Eddie Howe) breed of manager, namely an up and coming coach with a thirst for all aspects of the game and consistently improving.  I sincerely hope we see signs of Lee improving with us and ultimately becoming a proven head coach.

After all, he did indeed prove his worth last season. 

We can all hope for a day when we have courted, engaged, and married the Championship, tied her down to a long-term relationship, and then perhaps begin to desire her attractive neighbour - the Premiership.

Your right,of course-but that all sounds very tiring to an old man!!....

1 hour ago, lancsred said:

WE are all entitled to our own opinions Major, that is what a forum is for.

Personally I feel Lansdown has done more damage than good to this club, creating a level of ambition and expectation which is unlikely to ever be achieved, especially whilst he tries to do everything on the cheap.

That is my opinion, many will disagree, but it is my belief, doesn't make me wrong or right but that is what a forum is for, opinion and debate about different matters relating to the subject, ie in this case Bristol City FC.

He's at it again .

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

With regards to our own undoings, it has to be down to bad top position decisions. Cotterill fell out with the board and we had a squad that was bare bones as no-one seemed to be coming in and this ended badly as the board saw the fans frustrations as enough of an excuse to get rid due to their personal views of him, or at least that is what I believe. Now we have two yes men, Robins and Johnson. Robins may be helping us get good players through the door but LJ is not tactically strong or a motivator by what we've seen which leaves me asking why we've appointed LJ when we were going to have Robins doing the recruiting. If we have a man doing negotiations, signing players etc then surely our appointment should be of someone who is good at taking a prebuilt squad, motivating them and installing his tactics and philosophy on them, all things that LJ is not doing.

Think you might have our former loan player Mark Robins mixed up with Mark Ashton, but some good points Spike.

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

As bad as it sounds it doesn't help that Bristol as a City is not overly desirable. I love Bristol, it's home but in 25 years I've lived in Cardiff I've watched Cardiff turn from a City that was arguably behind Bristol to one that is by far excelling it . If you look at how Cardiff City center has grown, how they've developed a huge sports area at Cardiff bay and how all aspects of sport are welcomed and then take a look at Bristol, a City that seems to fight stadiums, got rid of it's ice rink and never replaced it and generally hasn't grown even half as much as Cardiff is I think it's fair to say the City itself doesn't help.

I know this seems irrelevant but it's not, if a player is looking to join a club and has multiple options they are informed of their potential new home and when you consider Bristol is very traditional and in my opinion, stuck in the past, it isn't exactly what the young, hungry footballers tend to be interested in. I'd say that has a large impact in the players we can draw in so rather than getting that really big potential player we get a decent, but more accepting player who feels they are reaching their max potential with us. Looking at Tammy there is no way he'd leave London to move to Bristol permanently yet if Cardiff were contending for the play offs they would look a lot more interesting.

I know a lot of people may get pissed off that I'm essentially saying Cardiff is a better option than us but based on the last 10 years of football is it really? Cardiff have had a lot of players go into the Premiership from them, they've also been in the Premiership, albeit one season and they're more likely to pay the better wages.

In the 25 years you refer to, there's no doubt that Cardiff has benefitted enormously from massive inward investment, in a way that Bristol has not. Cardiff, and Wales as a whole, were identified as an poor economy in the mid-1970s, which led to the Welsh Development Agency being set up tasked with securing inward investment and development - which they did to the tune of many £billions from our friends in the EU. Without the incentives they were able to offer, multi-national companies such as Panasonic, Sony, Toyota, Bosch and Ford, and other large financial institutions, may never have made south Wales their home. It was WDA/EU money that helped to build the Millennium Stadium and other massive projects.

Bristol and the South West of England in contrast, have never benefited from such enormous investments and improvement grants. No, the City hasn't "helped itself" with its appalling traffic management decisions, town planning and lack of direction, but then we haven't had even a fraction of the financial support that Cardiff has enjoyed. 

I found this info (can't find anything more up to date) it's quite a few years old but seems to show our big issue is lack of turnover.

First chart shows turnover, next one wages and the last one wages as a % of turnover. We were massively subbing the wages last time we were here, I wonder if this still the same?

IMG_0720.PNG

IMG_0721.PNG

IMG_0722.PNG

3 hours ago, lancsred said:

WE are all entitled to our own opinions Major, that is what a forum is for.

Personally I feel Lansdown has done more damage than good to this club, creating a level of ambition and expectation which is unlikely to ever be achieved, especially whilst he tries to do everything on the cheap.

That is my opinion, many will disagree, but it is my belief, doesn't make me wrong or right but that is what a forum is for, opinion and debate about different matters relating to the subject, ie in this case Bristol City FC.

I'm inclined to agree with elements of what you say. Lansdown is not the philanthropic saviour that many seem to think he is.

Where would we be without him? I have no idea. But then none of us do.

Facts are in exchange for millions of £s of investment we now have a stadium that is superb. I would have said fit for purpose but if BCFC are relegated then that might be over the top. For BCFC and it's fans.

Not for Lansdown though. He'll simply replace lower attendances with another "income stream". He's a shrewd man is Mr Lansdown. It's not about BCFC for him. It's been about a "portfolio" of sporting and business activities to promote Bristol Sport and Making Bristol Proud.

How I long for the days when my old dad took me to stand behind a barrier in the Enclosure.....

Where was Lansdown then I wonder? Stood amongst us? I doubt it......

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In the 25 years you refer to, there's no doubt that Cardiff has benefitted enormously from massive inward investment, in a way that Bristol has not. Cardiff, and Wales as a whole, were identified as an poor economy in the mid-1970s, which led to the Welsh Development Agency being set up tasked with securing inward investment and development - which they did to the tune of many £billions from our friends in the EU. Without the incentives they were able to offer, multi-national companies such as Panasonic, Sony, Toyota, Bosch and Ford, and other large financial institutions, may never have made south Wales their home. It was WDA/EU money that helped to build the Millennium Stadium and other massive projects.

Bristol and the South West of England in contrast, have never benefited from such enormous investments and improvement grants. No, the City hasn't "helped itself" with its appalling traffic management decisions, town planning and lack of direction, but then we haven't had even a fraction of the financial support that Cardiff has enjoyed. 

Inward investment largely takes place if investors see a benefit in doing so.

Cardiff has everything that Bristol should have had. Even Warnock!

I have reason to go there several times a year. The city is fantastic in nearly every respect.

In the meantime that Ferguson **** has had Bristol over. But hey. He's done well out of it.

On 17/02/2017 at 00:54, Davefevs said:

With you Joe.  This squad doesn't need an overhaul...but it does need bit of work.  I suspect LJ will think very differently.  Let's assume he's gone by the summer...and we are still in the Champ...not sure which is the most unrealistic.

Here's my squad summary with the above conditions.

Goalkeepers:

Would be happy if our three of Lucic, Fielding and O'Leary competed.  I'm not put off by Daniel Johnson's goal for Preston past Lucic.  Giefer, I suspect will be loan only.  It wouldn't surprise me if Fielding went though, and we bring in someone else.

Right Back; one first team regular required

Little OOC, Matthews, back to Sunderland. Vyner the understudy to Darikwa or McLaughlin

Left Back: one first team regular required

Golbourne not going to be no1 next season.  Bryan, cover for a proper modern day LB.  I like Bidwell at QPR, Malone at Fulham is the best LB in our division, but out of reach. Unless of course Magnüsson can take the role, but I see him as cover for an incoming LB.

Centre Backs:

Flint, Wright, Magnüsson and Moore is a good enough foursome.  Vyner as cover.

Centre Midfield;  if we could get a top player in yes, but we don't need another average CM.

I'm gonna assume Korey is fit by next season, so we'll have Hegeler, Smith, Brownhill and Pack.  O'Neil will be off to Portsmouth who are promoted via playoffs to League One.  Shame - I predicted he would be our best signing!

Right Midfield: one first team regular, probably already here!!

Cotterill end of loan, but suspect he might be back.  For purposes of this Paterson to leave too.  O'Dowda to be cover on his wrong foot.

Left Midfield

Bryan and O'Dowda to battle it out

Attacking Midfield:

Reid, who in effect will have to compete with the CMs, apart from games where we might go 4411, or 451.  Tomlin to go to a Derby or Wolves type club.

Forwards; one needed, but the type might depend on the readiness of Engvall.

Djuric, Taylor, Engvall plus one other.

Ultimately I think it will be a quieter summer.

It wouldn't surprise me if Flint or Pack went, so that might mean one or two more additions.

Not forgetting:

J.Smith, D.De Girolamo, S.McCoulsky, G.Dowling

Feel free to disagree.  In another 3bmonths I suspect things will be very different.

That squad, with the addition of Warnock, would've been sufficient to have meant we'd have been in a better position than we are now.

It would also allow us to consolidate.

Thing is many are looking for instant or quicker results. Foolishly.

Sadly I can't see us ever being able to sustain either a strong Championship team, or life in the Premiership.

That boat set sail a long time ago.....

On 17/02/2017 at 07:29, Ivorguy said:

All this silly hyped up hatred of Rovers is nasty and childish.

How often do some of us have to say take a longer historical view. This hatred is an example of the wider unpleasantness in our society. It won't last forever. It is a generational thing.  Future generations of City fans will, I am sure, be like my generation and be far more balanced and may even like me always wish Rovers well. When we were both doing well in the 50s in old second division the rivalry was fierce and FUN, not like today.

I wish they would fold

7 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Inward investment largely takes place if investors see a benefit in doing so.

Cardiff has everything that Bristol should have had.

The investors only saw the benefit of investing in S.Wales because they were offered enormous financial incentives and grants to base their businesses there.

These are not and have never been available on such a scale in the S.West region.

'Cardiff has everything Bristol should have' because vast amounts of money was thrown at it by the government and the EU.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:29, reddogkev said:

Why do we struggle in this league?  There must be a clear reason, bigger than the current manager and the board, perhaps even bigger than SL.

For a city our size, why have we never become established in the league?  Even in the play-off year, we punched massively above our weight, and couldn't develop after losing to Hull.  The Championship soon cut us down to size, chewed us up and spat us back into League One.

This season is horrendous, offered so much at the start, and is now the usual struggle against the drop.  I'm sick of it.

It must stop, but how?  Even massive investment in the squad, and the developed stadium is offering little help to the cause of securing a happy relationship with the Championship.

Will we ever buck this trend?

In the past when we've been in the Championship, we've tried to run before we could walk. Tried to buy our way up. Poorly managed and no structure in place. From top to bottom.

This season...is a totally different animal. We've approached it completely differently. Tried to build, and spent money on players not just for now but for the future.

This season isn't over yet...we may recover...we may end up lower half. Who knows...the poor run of results have killed us. However, I think we have played better since our new signings in January. We now have Little and Tammy injured, and a poor Matthews, and young Vyner. More problems.

I've not written this season off yet. Second season up...struggling like many other bigger sides.

If we stay up...lets see how we do next season. Perhaps we will kick on a little.

All if's and but's...such is football.

But I think we have to look at this season differently to previous.

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

In the past when we've been in the Championship, we've tried to run before we could walk. Tried to buy our way up. Poorly managed and no structure in place. From top to bottom.

This season...is a totally different animal. We've approached it completely differently. Tried to build, and spent money on players not just for now but for the future.

This season isn't over yet...we may recover...we may end up lower half. Who knows...the poor run of results have killed us. However, I think we have played better since our new signings in January. We now have Little and Tammy injured, and a poor Matthews, and young Vyner. More problems.

I've not written this season off yet. Second season up...struggling like many other bigger sides.

If we stay up...lets see how we do next season. Perhaps we will kick on a little.

All if's and but's...such is football.

But I think we have to look at this season differently to previous.

We might (looking highly likely) also be relegated, and this forum post mortum will be harping on about why did we not get rid of LJ after the Huddersfield, Notts Forest away debacles when we still had a chance of staying up? The club has been badly run for years and trying to put a sticky plaster on a haemoraging wound is always temporary. 

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I don't care. I detest the Sag scum

I was looking forward to seeing a league game between the two Bristol clubs as some small compensation for relegation.  Sadly I shan't be going as at my age I would feel intimidated by so called fans of both clubs who share similar Neanderthal attitudes which could too easily turn to something nastier than handbags at dawn.

So sad football has sunk so low.  The cost of policing could counteract extra income from the gates, although I suspect many like me will feel too frightened to come.

Archived