IGNORED

Incentivisation

wendyredredrobin

In the good old days, players wages were not that great, but bonuses for wins had a huge impact along with bonuses for league position, etc.

These days, I hear talk of players earning £x thousand per week and wonder how much of it is basic and how much based on bonuses.

It seems that players sometimes don't appear as committed nowadays. Is that because bonuses are now a smaller part of their income?

Does anyone have any idea about how bonuses work in the modern game and to what degree players are incentivised?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bonus scheme is decided ahead of the season in terms of overall position, and then divvied up between the players.  But that doesn't include any individual bonuses they have in their contracts.

So the likes of Adam Matthews who turned up unfit, has been a liability all season and generally messed us about would get the same as an ever present?

That just seems plain unfair TBH. I'm not questioning your post BTW Dave.

4 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

So the likes of Adam Matthews who turned up unfit, has been a liability all season and generally messed us about would get the same as an ever present?

No, divvied up based on appearances.  If there were no sub appearances (to make it easier) someone who played 23 games would get half of the apportionment of someone who played 46.

i think pro-rata  is the word I was looking for!

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

In the good old days, players wages were not that great, but bonuses for wins had a huge impact along with bonuses for league position, etc.

These days, I hear talk of players earning £x thousand per week and wonder how much of it is basic and how much based on bonuses.

It seems that players sometimes don't appear as committed nowadays. Is that because bonuses are now a smaller part of their income?

Does anyone have any idea about how bonuses work in the modern game and to what degree players are incentivised?

The game, for better or worse , has changed.

The commitment is not measured by bone crunching tackles but the level of professionalism that the players apply to their careers.

Keeping fit , the right diet , avoiding nightclubs etc . is the sacrifice these pros make to stay in the game .

Less visible but more exacting than coming into work after a few pints on a Friday night and hacking down the opponents forward to excite the crowd .

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, divvied up based on appearances.  If there were no sub appearances (to make it easier) someone who played 23 games would get half of the apportionment of someone who played 46.

i think pro-rata  is the word I was looking for!

Thanks for the clarification Dave, that makes perfect sense now.

21 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Portsmouth's epic decline and financial meltdown was born out of huge win bonuses offered to the players for FA Cup glory.

I guess the moral is be careful what you wish for.

And being stitched up by some very dodgy owners who screwed the club for every penny they could get.

But at least they won the FA Cup - no one can take that away from them. And you know how big a deal it would be if we ever managed that, Europa League football and all!

10 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Still our best Right back if ever fit 

Archived