IGNORED

Best squad we've had for how long?

JasonM88

11 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

I actually don't think it is.

Our GK's aren't the best.

Both right and left backs aren't the best.

Massive question marks of our centre backs.

Weak on the left flank JB for me just too inconsistant.

Lots of money spent, and wasted i'd have to say.

Apart from that were fine then!!

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Most overrated squad we've had for years 

Which of our players would get in a top 8 championship team?  I cannot think of many at all.  Abraham, maybe Hegeler.  

Don't forget we had the 'best central defensive pairing in the championship' according to that laughable thread at the start of the season...

We are very top heavy, and do not have the quality of wingbacks required to play the only formation (3-5-2) that would fit them all in. On paper, there is undoubtedly some quality, and if we get relegated I'm sure quite a lot of them will thrive in whatever new established Championship teams they will find themselves in- because that's how we operate.

Until Cotterill came back, not having a winger with a functioning right foot for half the season has been very embarrassing and a complete weakness in our squad.

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So many players are bottom Champ/top league one.

We get a player on loan who is top 8 Champ (Cotterill) and the difference in his levels to the rest is extremely clear.

I'd say 

Abraham

Tomlin

Hegeler

Brownhill

Magnusson

Matthews

Wright

Geifer

Bryan

Cotterill

are all capable of playing in top 8, that's almost a full team. Shows how poorly managed we are.

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

I'd say 

Abraham

Tomlin

Hegeler

Brownhill

Magnusson

Matthews

Wright

Geifer

Bryan

Cotterill

are all capable of playing in top 8, that's almost a full team. Shows how poorly managed we are.

Or another simple q

Which player if any is playing to his full potential

Tammy at his age possibly

Brownhill in flashes ?

23 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I'd say 

Abraham

Tomlin

Hegeler

Brownhill

Magnusson

Matthews

Wright

Geifer

Bryan

Cotterill

Any one of them would look better in a top 8 team because of the better players around them. Their deficiencies would eventually be found. Only ones who really are top 8 quality for me are Cotterill, Hegeler & Abraham.

Just now, RedDave said:

Most overrated squad we've had for years 

Which of our players would get in a top 8 championship team?  I cannot think of many at all.  Abraham, maybe Hegeler.  

looks to be some truth in this looking at our league position, not that long ago I too was thinking this current squad is the best I've seen us have(not following city until after our years in the top flight). But now is seems my judgment is wrong and most of them aren't good enough at this level :-( can't see three teams worse than us at the moment.

7 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Geifer ? Awful...looks the part at 6 foot 5 but that's where it ends, I'd rather have frank.

Bit Harsh to blame Geifer . He's played a handful of games and 3 of the back four in front of him are not good enough. Easy to blame the keeper, just like when loads were slagging Heaton off with Nyatanga and Fontane in front of him.

We had worse squads under Johnson Senior and did far better at this level; same can be said for plenty of other teams.

Isn't about who you have in your squad, it's about what those picked to play each week do on the pitch.  

Look at Villa; enough good players to ship out someone like McCormack on loan, but only a few more points than us.

Should be a lesson for those saying there are three worse sides than us; might be three less impressive squads than us, but doesn't mean they are worse teams.  

Burton's squad full cost less to assemble than we've paid for a couple of players this summer; we're below them in the table.

Archived