IGNORED

So, you are Pontius Pilate: whom shall we keep, Lee Tomlin, or Lee Johnson?

Jack Dawe

If the first half at Derby is anything to go by, do we need Lee Tomlin? His wages might pay for two decent defenders. Or one very good one, and "one for the future." The Derby game suggests we can score goals without Tomlin, but we cannot defend. We know we cannot defend.

Lose Tomlin and keep Johnson, and we might just see more of the first half at Derby (the football we thought we would be getting this season) next season and less of the pedestrian stuff with LT doing his solo flicks, dribbles and rants that we have seen far too often this.

Is Tomlin (along with his lieutenants Gaz and Jamie) the disruptive problem draining the squad of togetherness and spirit and making Johnson's job nigh on impossible? Or is that too simplistic (we can only guess, I know) and letting Johnson off the hook?

Can we forgive LJ for his hubris in thinking he could handle a character like Tomlin, and give him another chance if we stand a chance of seeing the type of football we played at Derby? Lose Tomlin, and O'Neil - neither of whom featured at Derby - we do not need "top" players on "top" wages to play quick, exciting football (as Barnsley have shown) we can achieve this with tomorrow's players, not yesterday's. And save a ton in wages. 

Is this the massive learning curve LJ needed to curb his hubris/ego and get him back to what he is good at (ie working with lower rank players on the up more open to his ideas) which we maybe saw a glimpse of at Derby?

Are we at risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, when the baby aint the root problem? Who knows (I don't)?

Whom shall we spare, whom shall we hang from a cross? Tomlin, or Johnson? 

Whilst I agree that LJs shelf life has expired, he's hardly the first manager to fail to get the best out of Tomlin. 

Sadly the game is littered with examples of those who's attitude does not match their talent and as a result they end up playing for Bristol City....

Tomlin at his best is fit to grace the Premier League. There are a great many with considerably worse natural talent who have made a career at that level. 

I think the blame can only be laid at Lee Tomlin's feet that he isn't one of them. 

Both?

if I had to choose one, I'd probably say ditch LT. but that's because I think he's a problem LJ hasn't sorted. I'm being massively  unfair and guessing about LT and I do feel uncomfortable with my view. 

Im not sure LT and GON are pally?  Twitter seems like a one way 'friendship'. 

Anyway, with LT gone we get to see LJ with no excuses. 

I could easily use all of the above the other way around, get rid of LJ and see LT flourish?

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

If the first half at Derby is anything to go by, do we need Lee Tomlin? His wages might pay for two decent defenders. Or one very good one, and "one for the future." The Derby game suggests we can score goals without Tomlin, but we cannot defend. We know we cannot defend.

Lose Tomlin and keep Johnson, and we might just see more of the first half at Derby (the football we thought we would be getting this season) next season and less of the pedestrian stuff with LT doing his solo flicks, dribbles and rants that we have seen far too often this.

Is Tomlin (along with his lieutenants Gaz and Jamie) the disruptive problem draining the squad of togetherness and spirit and making Johnson's job nigh on impossible? Or is that too simplistic (we can only guess, I know) and letting Johnson off the hook?

Can we forgive LJ for his hubris in thinking he could handle a character like Tomlin, and give him another chance if we stand a chance of seeing the type of football we played at Derby? Lose Tomlin, and O'Neil - neither of whom featured at Derby - we do not need "top" players on "top" wages to play quick, exciting football (as Barnsley have shown) we can achieve this with tomorrow's players, not yesterday's. And save a ton in wages. 

Is this the massive learning curve LJ needed to curb his hubris/ego and get him back to what he is good at (ie working with lower rank players on the up more open to his ideas) which we maybe saw a glimpse of at Derby?

Are we at risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, when the baby aint the root problem? Who knows (I don't)?

Whom shall we spare, whom shall we hang from a cross? Tomlin, or Johnson? 

Got them.Keep them,and back them!!

46 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Whatever the situation you never choose a player over a coach/manager.

Agree on the whole but there are special circumstances when that goes out of the window. Ian Wright and Bruce Rioch at Arsenal for example (Wright was going to leave unless the Board sacked Rioch and told them so). But agree in the main and even though I want LJ gone ATM I would choose him over LT as no one should be bigger than the boss, whatever you think of him

13 minutes ago, BCFCFreeman said:

Tomlin is proven at this level. 

Then why can't he perform consistently this season?

40 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'm not sure you can fairly judge Tomlin on his form this season under LJ. I'm not sure if it's representative of his true ability. 

I've had shit managers before and my work suffers. 

By virtue of the fact that LJ needed to go weeks ago, I'd keep Lee Tomlin. 

Tomlin played under Johnson last season, he should of flourished this season but has been poor from the start and deserved to be dropped.

20 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Tomlin. Even if LJ takes us down.

And if he does I'd expect Tomlin to walk off anyway. Or drive off in his white Range Rover.

I want two c words. Continuity and consistency. If Johnson gets that and doesn't deliver next season - define deliver! - then he can follow Tomlin then.

We've certainly managed to achieve consistency this season!

If I were a Roman Emperor, still alive after 2,000 years, AND Chairman of BCFC (a big ask), I would get rid of the manager, get my main man Alan Pardew in , and then see what he wants to do with Tommo.

If he can be used to his best, then he is a tremendous asset. If the manager wants him out, then out he goes: loan, then sell in the summer.

Next mentally hypothetical question?

:yawn:

tfj

8 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

If I were a Roman Emperor, still alive after 2,000 years, AND Chairman of BCFC (a big ask), I would get rid of the manager, get my main man Alan Pardew in , and then see what he wants to do with Tommo.

If he can be used to his best, then he is a tremendous asset. If the manager wants him out, then out he goes: loan, then sell in the summer.

This is the thing...he is being used to his best, being given licence to roam...the two issues that I see are: 1) He's not playing to the best of his ability, and 2) Tomlin's best does not work for us when we need to be getting out of a rut.  We're too exposed giving one man a free reign if we can't (as near as possible) guarantee a performance from him.  It either leaves us too lightweight in the middle or with just one up top.

Great ability, poor consistency, and right now....not what we need.

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Doorstop

You are being slight rude to Lee, as he will probably go on to manager Cheltenham after they sack his old man.

This aside, is he really the man to act as a door stop? What happens if it is a windy day???

:dunno:

tfj

2 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

was seen in there the other day, wiping down the tables (and under the tables) :laughcont::laughcont:

Come on now lads!

We all want Lee sacked, but there is no need to be rude about it.

I wish him the best in the future - as long as that is not managing City, and we kick his teams arse, if we ever play in the National League / League 2.

Good luck Lee.

tfj

4 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

You are being slight rude to Lee, as he will probably go on to manager Cheltenham after they sack his old man.

This aside, is he really the man to act as a door stop? What happens if it is a windy day???

:dunno:

tfj

He seems to be holding the trapdoor open quite well at the moment, I'd say he was overqualified if I'm honest.

Archived