IGNORED

The Project

NickJ

I assume it is rebuilding the club structure from the bottom up, giving us a more sustainable long term future. I am only judging this by the way the coaching staff and the youth set up is getting more investment. Like you I haven't seen or heard anything concrete or specific. 

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I keep hearing Lansdown and Johnson refer to "The Project".

Humorous replies welcome, but I genuinely do not know what they think the project currently is, enlightenment gratefully received.

Funnily enough I did have a look last night. I couldn't find anything. Bristol Sport has a mission statement, as you'd expect from a corporate intety, but those objectives would be different to sporting ones.

For me, it's true meaning in this case is "we have no immediate plans to make a real push". 

The project is basically making the club self-sustainable. Which is fair enough. Bringing through the youth players and buying other young players who will develop whilst here. The problem is (and this is the thing that SL hasnt got a f'ing clue over) that of equal importance for this to work you need a decent head coach/manager to consolidate the senior team in the championship and fill the stadium as much as possible, whilst the other aspects of the project bare fruit over the next 3/4/5/6/7 years or whatever.

However, we have a head coach who has zero man-management or motivational skills, and thats before I even get started on tactics, team selection and coaching, yes coaching remember that, coaching that apparently LJ is so great at (although why are all of our players going backwards??). So basically you are left in a situation whereby SL is backing him because he 'buys into the project' apparently but the majority of fans are feeling that he is still here because he is an @ss kissing yes man who is a family friend of the Lansdowns.  :grr:

5 pillars:

Community engagement: Yes. Bristol City community trust doing great things.

Academy and Youth development: Yes. Large investment in youth. The under 23's, a whole development squad. Clearer path for youth players into the first team, Reid, Bryan, Vyner.

Player recruitment and talent identification: Yes. Scouting expanded, Des Taylor, Kodjia, wider geographical selection of players at better value (not that that guarantees success) 

Financial control: Yes. Wage bill was cut considerably and is now much better controlled.

Facilities: The ground development is fantastic. We now also have greater opportunity for non football revenue. New facilities and hotel also on the way.

So there are five clear objectives and progress has been made on everyone.

In my opinion the club is in better 'shape' then ever in every way bar the football side. But realistically, the football side is the last to fall into place, you need this foundation in place and years for it to bed in and grow before we'll really see us in a position to seriously compete at the highest level.

Plus avoid relegation this year.

21 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

The project is basically making the club self-sustainable. Which is fair enough. Bringing through the youth players and buying other young players who will develop whilst here. The problem is (and this is the thing that SL hasnt got a f'ing clue over) that of equal importance for this to work you need a decent head coach/manager to consolidate the senior team in the championship and fill the stadium as much as possible, whilst the other aspects of the project bare fruit over the next 3/4/5/6/7 years or whatever.

However, we have a head coach who has zero man-management or motivational skills, and thats before I even get started on tactics, team selection and coaching, yes coaching remember that, coaching that apparently LJ is so great at (although why are all of our players going backwards??). So basically you are left in a situation whereby SL is backing him because he 'buys into the project' apparently but the majority of fans are feeling that he is still here because he is an @ss kissing yes man who is a family friend of the Lansdowns.  :grr:

I have highlighted that bit above because that is what Alan Dicks did with Harry Dolmans backing. The thing is, we flirted with relegation in several of the seasons he was doing the building. It has been said before, but I do wonder what this forum would have looked like throughout the early 70's and whether AD would have survived to see us into the 1st Division. For what it's worth, I think he would because HD ignored the man on the terrace and his own board of directors to stick with "his man", does that sound familiar? 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

I keep hearing Lansdown and Johnson refer to "The Project".

Humorous replies welcome, but I genuinely do not know what they think the project currently is, enlightenment gratefully received.

Project Omnishambles. Lee Johnson was tasked with getting us out of the Championship as quickly as possible, by Steve Lansdown. The project is on course, so it's all good.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have highlighted that bit above because that is what Alan Dicks did with Harry Dolmans backing. The thing is, we flirted with relegation in several of the seasons he was doing the building. It has been said before, but I do wonder what this forum would have looked like throughout the early 70's and whether AD would have survived to see us into the 1st Division. For what it's worth, I think he would because HD ignored the man on the terrace and his own board of directors to stick with "his man", does that sound familiar? 

After Chairman Robert Hobbs was ousted in 1977 for having the temerity to publically ask for a minimum investment of £25,000 in return for a seat on the Board the club stagnated. A high court battle ensued between Hobbs and the Board, who were men of straw with no real means of boosting City's coffers. By then there was little youth talent coming through the ranks, following the glut of gems fostered by John Sillett until 1974. An aging squad limped on until relegation in May 1980. Staggeringly Dicks was rewarded with a long term contract despite the drop, before being sacked in September that year. Thanks to rampant mismanagement our world caved in just 18 months later.

16 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

After Chairman Robert Hobbs was ousted in 1977 for having the temerity to publically ask for a minimum investment of £25,000 in return for a seat on the Board the club stagnated. A high court battle ensued between Hobbs and the Board, who were men of straw with no real means of boosting City's coffers. By then there was little youth talent coming through the ranks, following the glut of gems fostered by John Sillett until 1974. An aging squad limped on until relegation in May 1980. Staggeringly Dicks was rewarded with a long term contract despite the drop, before being sacked in September that year. Thanks to rampant mismanagement our world caved in just 18 months later.

Yes it did all go wrong eventually, but you are talking about a period of time after the one that I am talking about, the period of struggle that eventually led to success. The fact that the success was mismanaged after that is a terrible shame but not relevant to my point.

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

A " project " unique in its total disregard for its paying customers" ... quite a radical corporate strategy is that , not one I expect you will hear of in some of the more successful businesses .  

Totally incompetent about managing the here and now . Without good day to day husbandry , forget the strategic "project " 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

5 pillars:

Community engagement: Yes. Bristol City community trust doing great things.

Academy and Youth development: Yes. Large investment in youth. The under 23's, a whole development squad. Clearer path for youth players into the first team, Reid, Bryan, Vyner.

Player recruitment and talent identification: Yes. Scouting expanded, Des Taylor, Kodjia, wider geographical selection of players at better value (not that that guarantees success) 

Financial control: Yes. Wage bill was cut considerably and is now much better controlled.

Facilities: The ground development is fantastic. We now also have greater opportunity for non football revenue. New facilities and hotel also on the way.

So there are five clear objectives and progress has been made on everyone.

In my opinion the club is in better 'shape' then ever in every way bar the football side. But realistically, the football side is the last to fall into place, you need this foundation in place and years for it to bed in and grow before we'll really see us in a position to seriously compete at the highest level.

Plus avoid relegation this year.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've chosen this one to respond to as it appears to be the only one which is a totally serious reply and is from a poster who would know.

I honestly did not know that the pillars were now The Project.

So, if this is The Project, why is it so special, and why do they keep banging on about it. Any well run football club should have all of these as standard.

Notwithstanding the above, I disagree that we have made progress on these basics.

ACADEMY

Is this any more of a success now than at any time in the past? I still have an email from none other than Mr Jon Lansdown, dated October 2013, in which he discusses the 5 pillars (or at least what he thought they were), and in relation to Academy, I quote:

"There have been regular starts for both Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid, and Joe Morrell became the youngest player to make his City debut since 1999. This is a sure sign that the player pathway from Academy to first team is well and truly in operation."

So three and a half years on, and 2 of the 3 successes are the same, Joe Morrell is 20 years old and so far as I recall has not been included in a Johnson squad at all, and Vyner has made one squad as an unused substitute.

Hardly a tangible success is it.

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT

I cannot comment on this as I do not know, other than to say my email from Mr Lansdown does not mention "Community Engagement". It does however mention "Bristol Sport" as a pillar, which confused me at the time and appears to have been thankfully replaced with something more meaningful.

I would though be interested on an elaboration by @Cowshed (see below).

PLAYER RECRUITMENT & TALENT IDENTIFICATION

The test of success, surely, is not a "wider geographical selection of players". We have purchased this season a Bosnian forward who will never ever hit double figures in a Championship season, and a Swede who has played a few minutes and wants to go home. I believe they cost £3m between them; I would very much disagree that they offer "better value".

Whether you agree with that or not, the test of success, surely, is league position.

Not saying it will not improve, but, at the moment, by definition, this pillar is a failure.

FINANCIAL CONTROL

Again I cannot comment with certainty as I do not know, but I would hazard a guess that with the addition of 20 odd players, including the likes of Tomlin, O'Neill, Abraham, and a much smaller number exiting, the cost of Johnson's 2016/17 squad is considerably higher than Cotterill's 2015/16 squad.

FACILITIES

If I were to be churlish, I would say I am not completely impressed. The ownership of the ground is very different to how it should - IMO - be and it no longer has the feel of a Bristol City stadium.

Nevertheless, taking the objective at its literal, the stadium is impressive, and is the one and only pillar where IMO the promise has been fulfilled.

37 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Which frequently are dependent on how much schools and junior clubs can afford. The more money you have the more engaged they are. 

I am intrigued. Can you elaborate?

9 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've chosen this one to respond to as it appears to be the only one which is a totally serious reply and is from a poster who would know.

I honestly did not know that the pillars were now The Project.

So, if this is The Project, why is it so special, and why do they keep banging on about it. Any well run football club should have all of these as standard.

Notwithstanding the above, I disagree that we have made progress on these basics.

ACADEMY

Is this any more of a success now than at any time in the past? I still have an email from none other than Mr Jon Lansdown, dated October 2013, in which he discusses the 5 pillars (or at least what he thought they were), and in relation to Academy, I quote:

"There have been regular starts for both Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid, and Joe Morrell became the youngest player to make his City debut since 1999. This is a sure sign that the player pathway from Academy to first team is well and truly in operation."

So three and a half years on, and 2 of the 3 successes are the same, Joe Morrell is 20 years old and so far as I recall has not been included in a Johnson squad at all, and Vyner has made one squad as an unused substitute.

Hardly a tangible success is it.

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT

I cannot comment on this as I do not know, other than to say my email from Mr Lansdown does not mention "Community Engagement". It does however mention "Bristol Sport" as a pillar, which confused me at the time and appears to have been thankfully replaced with something more meaningful.

I would though be interested on an elaboration by @Cowshed (see below).

PLAYER RECRUITMENT & TALENT IDENTIFICATION

The test of success, surely, is not a "wider geographical selection of players". We have purchased this season a Bosnian forward who will never ever hit double figures in a Championship season, and a Swede who has played a few minutes and wants to go home. I believe they cost £3m between them; I would very much disagree that they offer "better value".

Whether you agree with that or not, the test of success, surely, is league position.

Not saying it will not improve, but, at the moment, by definition, this pillar is a failure.

FINANCIAL CONTROL

Again I cannot comment with certainty as I do not know, but I would hazard a guess that with the addition of 20 odd players, including the likes of Tomlin, O'Neill, Abraham, and a much smaller number exiting, the cost of Johnson's 2016/17 squad is considerably higher than Cotterill's 2015/16 squad.

FACILITIES

If I were to be churlish, I would say I am not completely impressed. The ownership of the ground is very different to how it should - IMO - be and it no longer has the feel of a Bristol City stadium.

Nevertheless, taking the objective at its literal, the stadium is impressive, and is the one and only pillar where IMO the promise has been fulfilled.

Well Nick you may think not but Mr L seems ok with the projects progress

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The Community Trust is often quoted on OTIB as example of Community engagement as if it is a altruistic venture, while the Community Trust undoubtedly does much that is good, many Trusts activities are continually linked to finance: 

http://www.bristolcitycommunitytrust.org.uk/coaching/school-coaching/schools-partners/

Archived