Jump to content
IGNORED

Blinded By the Light


StuartFoot

Recommended Posts

Should the seemingly impossible happen and LJ be removed from his post, we will see our club again begin the recruitment process of hiring a Head Coach (if this process has not already started). 

Thinking back to LJ's appointment, we were led to believe a thorough recruitment process had been undertaken, including 'surprising' candidates.  If this is the case, LJ beat off competition from X number of other candidates to the position of BCFC Head Coach.  

But what if those in charge of the selection process have a positive relationship with one of the candidates?  What if they have a negative perception of one of the 'surprise' candidates, portrayed via the media or a previous event at another club? 

Do we trust those in charge to be objective enough in selecting the best candidate?  

Whatever anyone's thoughts on SL's previous appointments, he retains the right to choose or at least approve the Head Coach of his club.

But what if instead of SL and MA sitting across a desk from 'Candidate A' who they know was sacked by a previous club and 'could be tricky to work with', or 'Candidate B' who has no English league experience and 'might struggle to adapt', SL and MA are 'blind' throughout the process?

Step 1:

SL and MA decide the assessment criteria e.g 

-Previous League Record
-Cup Competitions
-Significant Achievements 
-Youth Development 
-Financial Acumen 

Step 2:

An external and most importantly impartial body uses the above criteria to assess all interested candidates (headhunting aside) and presents SL and MA with a dossier outlining each candidates' scores anonymously.

Step 3:

SL and MA are left with a summary of anonymous candidates' scores against their criteria and select 'Candidate C', who scored the highest overall and top-scored in 'Previous League Experience'.

Candidate C might turn out to be Nigel Pearson, who we know might come with baggage, but how much are SL and MA willing to be successful?  If Candidate C is the best fit for what they want to achieve based on their own assessment criteria, he is by their own definition, the best man for the job.  SL and MA would have to find a way to make it work for the benefit of our club. 

Apologies for the rather long first post but I hope you join me in welcoming David James as our new Head Coach...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, StuartFoot said:

Should the seemingly impossible happen and LJ be removed from his post, we will see our club again begin the recruitment process of hiring a Head Coach (if this process has not already started). 

Thinking back to LJ's appointment, we were led to believe a thorough recruitment process had been undertaken, including 'surprising' candidates.  If this is the case, LJ beat off competition from X number of other candidates to the position of BCFC Head Coach.  

But what if those in charge of the selection process have a positive relationship with one of the candidates?  What if they have a negative perception of one of the 'surprise' candidates, portrayed via the media or a previous event at another club? 

Do we trust those in charge to be objective enough in selecting the best candidate?  

Whatever anyone's thoughts on SL's previous appointments, he retains the right to choose or at least approve the Head Coach of his club.

But what if instead of SL and MA sitting across a desk from 'Candidate A' who they know was sacked by a previous club and 'could be tricky to work with', or 'Candidate B' who has no English league experience and 'might struggle to adapt', SL and MA are 'blind' throughout the process?


-Youth Development 
-Financial Acumen 

 

 Can't imagine recruiting a new manager is that complex.

I reckon it works like this - 

SL has no doubt a good idea who'd he like to fill the vacancy. Someone who would understand and buy into his long term strategy - that's why he's so reluctant to dismiss Junior because LJ was seen as the ideal candidate who fitted the bill perfectly. SL still has faith in him to turn things around but it seems the vast majority of us fans dont share that faith - hence all the stick SL has been getting. Most of them just don't "get it"

Lansdown always tries to give his managers time unlike some owners who panic sack as the DZ approaches.

If/when Junior is sacked then don't be surprised to see another manager who SL knows and rates and who knows the club and how it functions - Keith Millen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

 Can't imagine recruiting a new manager is that complex.

I reckon it works like this - 

SL has no doubt a good idea who'd he like to fill the vacancy. Someone who would understand and buy into his long term strategy - that's why he's so reluctant to dismiss Junior because LJ was seen as the ideal candidate who fitted the bill perfectly. SL still has faith in him to turn things around but it seems the vast majority of us fans dont share that faith - hence all the stick SL has been getting. Most of them just don't "get it"

Lansdown always tries to give his managers time unlike some owners who panic sack as the DZ approaches.

If/when Junior is sacked then don't be surprised to see another manager who SL knows and rates and who knows the club and how it functions - Keith Millen.

 

Christ, no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StuartFoot said:

Should the seemingly impossible happen and LJ be removed from his post, we will see our club again begin the recruitment process of hiring a Head Coach (if this process has not already started). 

Thinking back to LJ's appointment, we were led to believe a thorough recruitment process had been undertaken, including 'surprising' candidates.  If this is the case, LJ beat off competition from X number of other candidates to the position of BCFC Head Coach.  

But what if those in charge of the selection process have a positive relationship with one of the candidates?  What if they have a negative perception of one of the 'surprise' candidates, portrayed via the media or a previous event at another club? 

Do we trust those in charge to be objective enough in selecting the best candidate?  

Whatever anyone's thoughts on SL's previous appointments, he retains the right to choose or at least approve the Head Coach of his club.

But what if instead of SL and MA sitting across a desk from 'Candidate A' who they know was sacked by a previous club and 'could be tricky to work with', or 'Candidate B' who has no English league experience and 'might struggle to adapt', SL and MA are 'blind' throughout the process?

Step 1:

SL and MA decide the assessment criteria e.g 

-Previous League Record
-Cup Competitions
-Significant Achievements 
-Youth Development 
-Financial Acumen 

Step 2:

An external and most importantly impartial body uses the above criteria to assess all interested candidates (headhunting aside) and presents SL and MA with a dossier outlining each candidates' scores anonymously.

Step 3:

SL and MA are left with a summary of anonymous candidates' scores against their criteria and select 'Candidate C', who scored the highest overall and top-scored in 'Previous League Experience'.

Candidate C might turn out to be Nigel Pearson, who we know might come with baggage, but how much are SL and MA willing to be successful?  If Candidate C is the best fit for what they want to achieve based on their own assessment criteria, he is by their own definition, the best man for the job.  SL and MA would have to find a way to make it work for the benefit of our club. 

Apologies for the rather long first post but I hope you join me in welcoming David James as our new Head Coach...

Don't forget

Step 4

Verify that the candidate is Lee Johnson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to see how fans would feel about the possibility of Millen taking the helm if he hadn't been here before. With his Premier League experience over the last few years he'd be an interesting prospect, despite his lack of experience as head coach/ manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For SL's plan of a self sustainable team that develops players, sells them on for a profit and then uses that money to reinvest and develop, he needs to have a coach in charge.

I think we all know that a manager of the type of Pearson or Pardew would come in, put a rocket up the team, stabilise things and give some organisation on the field. The trouble is they wouldn't buy in to the development plan.

I'm certain that SL was, and remains, convinced that LJ would have enough in the short term to keep us up and would develop his own skills alongside the players in the longer term.

It's a huge risk but that's the gamble SL has taken to allow his plan to work.

If LJ gets the boot the criteria for any new manager will still be a top coach not a top manager.

Rowett's name has been mentioned a lot but according to a number of Blues fans I have spoken to up here since his sacking, it was his ambition that got him the boot from Brum. Apparently in his short spell in charge he had applied for a number of jobs (including Wolves) so the Brum chairman got fed up with it. 

If we are going to short list names for LJs replacement I would be only looking at those who have reputations as strong coaches. This is a long term project (unfortunately).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all due respect to the OP, I think it's more like :  

SL :  "Get (Colin Sextone) Mark Ashton to go Player and tell the fans and media we've had an outstanding response and there is an impressive field of highly qualified candidates"

Meanwhile SL looks over the list and chooses one name who isn't going to rock the boat at Ashton Gate (by bringing in too many of his people) and who isn't the sort of person who will stand up to him and say things like "If you genuinely want Premiership football here, you will have to do this and this and spend this"

Then the "Board" (ha, ha) interview Steve's choice. 

Then Mark Ashton appears again and tells the World that we have appointed the outstanding (SL"s) candidate.

I believe all this because the man who took us into the Championship in spectacular fashion, has been shown to have been denied what he believed was necessary to take us further (not least in terms of new signings), while SL's current favourite has had millions of quids showered on him, despite the fact that he cannot organise and inspire the players signed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I think it's more like :  

SL :  "Get (Colin Sextone) Mark Ashton to go Player and tell the fans and media we've had an outstanding response and there is an impressive field of highly qualified candidates"

Meanwhile SL looks over the list and chooses one name who isn't going to rock the boat at Ashton Gate (by bringing in too many of his people) and who isn't the sort of person who will stand up to him and say things like "If you genuinely want Premiership football here, you will have to do this and this and spend this"

Then the "Board" (ha, ha) interview Steve's choice. 

Then Mark Ashton appears again and tells the World that we have appointed the outstanding (SL"s) candidate.

I believe all this because the man who took us into the Championship in spectacular fashion, has been shown to have been denied what he believed was necessary to take us further (not least in terms of new signings), while SL's current favourite has had millions of quids showered on him, despite the fact that he cannot organise and inspire the players signed.

Cotts was happy to spend cash...but the players he wanted didn't want to come to BS3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Cotts was happy to spend cash...but the players he wanted didn't want to come to BS3

I agree that the Gayle and Gray attempts may have been over-ambitious. However the reason I said what I did was that we had SC's "protest" when he wouldn't field the full number of substitutes. This more than suggests that he believed the squad wasn't adequate and that he wasn't supported on other potential signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He did as caretaker then Coppell then Millen again.

Get your facts right before question me............. :facepalm:

Coppell took over from Gary Johnson just like Lee Johnson took over from Steve Cotterill. These are facts.

Point is, Millen's reign shouldn't be defined by Gary Johnson. Yet you did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Coppell took over from Gary Johnson just like Lee Johnson took over from Steve Cotterill. These are facts.

Point is, Millen's reign shouldn't be defined by Gary Johnson. Yet you did.

GJ was sacked and Millen became caretaker before Coppell. Then he took over after Coppell walked out.

Its like pulling teeth..........:facepalm:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

With all due respect to the OP, I think it's more like :  

SL :  "Get (Colin Sextone) Mark Ashton to go Player and tell the fans and media we've had an outstanding response and there is an impressive field of highly qualified candidates"

Meanwhile SL looks over the list and chooses one name who isn't going to rock the boat at Ashton Gate (by bringing in too many of his people) and who isn't the sort of person who will stand up to him and say things like "If you genuinely want Premiership football here, you will have to do this and this and spend this"

Then the "Board" (ha, ha) interview Steve's choice. 

Then Mark Ashton appears again and tells the World that we have appointed the outstanding (SL"s) candidate.

I believe all this because the man who took us into the Championship in spectacular fashion, has been shown to have been denied what he believed was necessary to take us further (not least in terms of new signings), while SL's current favourite has had millions of quids showered on him, despite the fact that he cannot organise and inspire the players signed.

Yep, that's probably how it actually goes.  Such a shame that we have a chairman who owns a recruitment business , yet we seem to fail in the recruitment of such a pivotal position.  

Should MA have challenged SL's choice or was he too new into role? Although in fairness to MA he has somehow pursuaded a huge amount of players to join what must look like a club with problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...