IGNORED

is todays attendance.....

archie andrews

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Man.Utd v City game I went to - a night game - was about 43k iirc, and they were averaging between 46 - 54k in the 4 years we were in the top division.

I was thinking more 1974.

1 hour ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Highest away league attendance ever according to www.citystats.org, only beaten by a couple of cup games.. Spurs in 1967 (54,610) and Villa in 1957 (63,099)

Spurs was a cup game.  Villa might have been as well.  Remember the old man talking about an away day to Villa in the 50s for a cup game.

2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Spurs was a cup game.  Villa might have been as well.  Remember the old man talking about an away day to Villa in the 50s for a cup game.

If you read his post again, I think you are both agreeing...

Got to say, it is a huge crowd in the second division.

I haven't been to the "new" St James Park but have heard those that have say it's an amazing stadium and to have 52k watching the Toon every home game tells you just how well supported Newcastle are. Being the only cub there helps of course but even if the Gas weren't around I seriously doubt City could reach that weekly attendance even with a big enough AG.

I guess there's not much else to do on a Saturday afternoon up there.........:whistle:

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

Newcastle v City had the highest attendance of any English league game over the weekend. The only two games in the UK with a higher attendance were the league cup final and Celtic v Hamilton. 

When (if ever) were we last involved in the best attended league game in the English leagues?

What did Celtic give out as the crowd v Hamilton? They are very cagey with their attendances- 10-15 years ago it was regularly sold out, but I would be very surprised if there was over 50K there at the weekend.  The last game I went up to up there that wasn't a European match or an OF game was also against Hamilton, I reckon there was no more than 35K in there.

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

What did Celtic give out as the crowd v Hamilton? They are very cagey with their attendances- 10-15 years ago it was regularly sold out, but I would be very surprised if there was over 50K there at the weekend.  The last game I went up to up there that wasn't a European match or an OF game was also against Hamilton, I reckon there was no more than 35K in there.

54,685 according to the BBC, so about 2.5k more than were at Newcastle. I've only been to Celtic Park once (for Scotland v England a couple of years back) so can't comment on whether their official attendances appear to be higher than the number actually inside the ground - I guess it could be a case of counting all season ticket holders irrespective of whether or not they turn up. 

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

54,685 according to the BBC, so about 2.5k more than were at Newcastle. I've only been to Celtic Park once (for Scotland v England a couple of years back) so can't comment on whether their official attendances appear to be higher than the number actually inside the ground - I guess it could be a case of counting all season ticket holders irrespective of whether or not they turn up. 

If I could get a bet on it, I would put all I could on there being more inside the ground at Newcastle at the weekend. Although my Celtic season ticket is used every week, I know of an awful lot that go to waste, I did email the club once suggesting that they come up with a scheme for donating season tickets to locals on a match by match basis, but heard nothing back. The sad fact is that atm Scotland is a one horse race, and that isn't a crowd puller for any 'normal' league game.

Anyway, back to the point, I think City probably DID play in front of the biggest UK league crowd at the weekend. Obviously if the weather wasn't so grim, we would have -at least-matched it against Scunthorpe :) 

Archived