IGNORED

Wilbs

Super

He was fantastic today. Lots of moaning about his selection beforehand, but he never lets us down. Won plenty in the air today and led by example! Used his experience to disrupt Newcastle at times too. 

Giefer - some great saves. Need to see the goals again though.  8

Vyner - woefully exposed at times. Poor positioning. One exceptional tackle in the box. Didn't get forward. 5 

Wright - looked solid. 8

Flint - solid, commanding performance. 8

Bryan - had a good game. Defended well. 7

Smith - ran himself into the ground. Box to box today. 7

Reid - did ok. Put himself about. Some sloppiness and should have done better with his chance. 6

O'Dowda - very bright start. Great outlet, but faded. 7

Cotterill - worked his ass off. Took his goal well. Unlucky with the free-kick. Good deliveries. Showed good experience and leadership. 8

O'Neil - some tidy play. Good tackling. Barked instructions and helped keep our shape. Set up at least one goal, if not both. 8

Wilbraham - 9 for the reasons above. 

Subs:

Not on long enough, but Hordur looked good. 

LJ - took too long to sub a knackered Smith, instead waiting for a defensive corner!! And the selection of Vyner wasn't a good one. Set us up really well on the whole. 7

Edit: had to mark O'Neil up because of his involvement in the goals. 

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Hope to see him get more game time whether starting or from the bench. Clearly can still do a job at this level. One of my favourite players in recent years.

Agreed. Excellent signing. A fine professional. What a shame he's not 7 or 8 years younger!

5 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

He was fantastic today. Lots of moaning about his selection beforehand, but he never lets us down. Won plenty in the air today and led by example! Used his experience to disrupt Newcastle at times too. 

Giefer - some great saves. Need to see the goals again though.  8

Vyner - woefully exposed at times. Poor positioning. One exceptional tackle in the box. Didn't get forward. 5 

Wright - looked solid. 8

Flint - solid, commanding performance. 8

Bryan - had a good game. Defended well. 7

Smith - ran himself into the ground. Box to box today. 7

Reid - did ok. Put himself about. Some sloppiness and should have done better with his chance. 6

O'Dowda - very bright start. Great outlet, but faded. 7

Cotterill - worked his ass off. Took his goal well. Unlucky with the free-kick. Good deliveries. Showed good experience and leadership. 8

O'Neil - some tidy play. Good tackling. Barked instructions and helped keep our shape. 7

Wilbraham - 9 for the reasons above. 

Subs:

Not on long enough, but Hordur looked good. 

LJ - took too long to sub a knackered Smith, instead waiting for a defensive corner!! And the selection of Vyner wasn't a good one. Set us up really well on the whole. 7

Re Vyner he didn't have much choice after the shocker Matthews had on Wednesday and Litts being injured

Sounded on RB that he was a real leader on the pitch and was constantly giving instruction, proper Captain and I guess a player that the younger ones respect. A goal and helped out in defence, a real rock and a real credit to the shirt.

Good man is our Wilbs.

25 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

If you listened to the RB post match interview with LJ, Wilbs has an injection in his hip every 6 weeks under general anaesthetic.

Lee said that Wilbs comes back like sharper in the following weeks, like a 27 year-old.

Seriously? Every 6 weeks he has a GA for a hip injection? Jeez, that's dedication right there. Fair play to the man. Not many people would have the balls to do that so often.

Fair play to Wilbs I said when I saw the line up,  was saying he could barely last more then 15 minutes how wrong was I! 

Still was blowing come 60 minutes but then again so were half of the team.  I think he needs a rest for villa game but don't see why he couldn't do another 60 minutes against Burton!

I still can't choose a Man if the match but maybe wilbs edges it for his effort levels considering his age! 

4 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

True. He should have signed cover for this weak position. No excuse in my opinion. 

Little 

Matthews

Vyner

Thats more than enough in my opinion. We aren't Chelsea, however we definitely need to use the money we will save on Matthews wages next year to get a solid championship right back. 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

If you listened to the RB post match interview with LJ, Wilbs has an injection in his hip every 6 weeks under general anaesthetic.

Lee said that Wilbs comes back like sharper in the following weeks, like a 27 year-old.

46 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Seriously? Every 6 weeks he has a GA for a hip injection? Jeez, that's dedication right there. Fair play to the man. Not many people would have the balls to do that so often.

thought he said 4 times a year or something Curr

Dont think they'd put him under GA every six weeks 

14 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Agreed. Excellent signing. A fine professional. What a shame he's not 7 or 8 years younger!

If he was he'd have cost us about £4m.

A classic example of never judge a book by its cover, as I remember the outcry on here when Cotts signed him.

What we actually got instead was the most dedicated professional we have signed in many years, a total team man and a role model for everyone at the club.

This term gets thrown around a lot, but seeing as he also was top scorer in our first title winning season in 60 years, for me he is a City legend.

Love the bloke.

11 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I wonder what kind of injection it is? 

Ive never heard of a GA used to give injections. Local anaesthesia is what is commonly used.

The after effects of a GA can include low mood and low energy. 

Wilbs, restores my faith in footballers. Credit to his profession.  

Shinning example of dedication, class and commitment. If only we have a team full of Wilbs. 

Should be inspiring some of our 'duds' to make the most of their talent... but, clearly, some are so securely locked into their modern 'it's all about me' footballer bubble that they are beyond help.

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

thought he said 4 times a year or something Curr

Dont think they'd put him under GA every six weeks 

Yeh 4 times a year. And the effect of the injections last for around 3-5weeks 

Absolutely agree with what's being said above. A true leader and professional. A credit to the shirt. A lot could learn from him! 

31 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Yeh 4 times a year. And the effect of the injections last for around 3-5weeks 

Absolutely agree with what's being said above. A true leader and professional. A credit to the shirt. A lot could learn from him! 

We obviously need to utilise him for these 3-5 weeks. Explains why he's great then off the pace. Need his experience and leadership massively though. 

1 hour ago, shelts said:

I would. I have 

Weren't you bothered about having to sign your life away every 6 weeks? GAs are risky everytime and so to have one so frequently would surely put a strain on the organs. I've not had a GA (only op I've ever had was done under local) but I wouldn't be bothered about having one, just if I had to have one so consecutively!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Ive never heard of a GA used to give injections. Local anaesthesia is what is commonly used.

Can only assume it's directly into the hip bone or socket. I know of people who have had injections direct into shoulder and elbow though under locals. Perhaps it's awkward to get to and needs an endoscope to find the precise position. 

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Can only assume it's directly into the hip bone or socket. I know of people who have had injections direct into shoulder and elbow though under locals. Perhaps it's awkward to get to and needs an endoscope to find the precise position. 

He'll have hip problem in later life for sure.

Denis Law can hardly bend his knees now 40odd year after he retired.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

That's the same after effects you get from watching City!

6 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Weren't you bothered about having to sign your life away every 6 weeks? GAs are risky everytime and so to have one so frequently would surely put a strain on the organs. I've not had a GA (only op I've ever had was done under local) but I wouldn't be bothered about having one, just if I had to have one so consecutively!

You have to be careful for sure. Yes they're a little risky but so is crossing the road. Mine were not as regular as the big mans . Fair play to him 

Credit to LJ. Not one person was thinking about a Wilbraham start. He properly hung his job on the line.

And massive credit to Wilbs for doing himself, LJ and the club proud. 

I love the bloke. Was genuinely made up for him, especially considering the vast majority gave him no chance when the teams were released at 2pm

20 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

How right you are..

The club tried but it is not so easy as buying a loaf of bread .

They had four weeks to negotiate deals for key positions and by and large did brilliantly.

Unlucky that they didn't get a new fullback in but that's life .

We have Matthews , Little who wasn't injured during the transfer window and Vyner .

2 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Credit to LJ. Not one person was thinking about a Wilbraham start. He properly hung his job on the line.

And massive credit to Wilbs for doing himself, LJ and the club proud. 

I love the bloke. Was genuinely made up for him, especially considering the vast majority gave him no chance when the teams were released at 2pm

All hail to LJ ! 

He would have picked Milan but the guy was injured. 

For once he had a bit of luck . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All hail to LJ ! 

He would have picked Milan but the guy was injured. 

For once he had a bit of luck . 

Either way he deserves credit. Would of been easier for him to pick Taylor, less questions would of been asked if we had lossed. 

He deserves credit for the whole team selection. And your right, for once he had a bit of luck maybe? (It wasn't luck, he picked players he knew would give 100% for club) But he probably deserves some luck after seeing his side lose 2+ goal leads 4 times this year 

15 minutes ago, Ron Niffty said:

What a great player and professional Wilbs has been for our club. The sort of bloke that young players should try and emulate, as others have said on this this thread, we should try and accommodate him in our coaching system. A great example for everyone.  

I`ve said this many times but if he does decide to leave/retire at the end of the season we need to know in advance so that we can give him the send off and appreciation he richly deserves. Too many good players just drift away at season`s end unnoticed and we must not let this happen with Wilbs.

I don`t think he will be interested in joining our coaching set up sadly as he`s always said he wants to go back up North where his family still live when he packs up playing.

In an ideal world we`ll be safe by the Birmingham game and he can come on for half an hour at the end and have every touch cheered by the fans. I know I will.

9 hours ago, Strawberry2157. said:

We obviously need to utilise him for these 3-5 weeks. Explains why he's great then off the pace. Need his experience and leadership massively though. 

First time this has come out and shows the effects of professional football on 'old bones'. It was quite clear what LJ said on the radio, that the effects last for a few weeks.  The fact it has to be a GA would indicate it would be rather painful and needs knocking out.  For sure this year will be last year playing ??

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

He'll have hip problem in later life for sure.

Denis Law can hardly bend his knees now 40odd year after he retired.

Mine don't bend very far these days either, and I'm only 46.  Too many games playing when 80% fit, and 5 knee ops.

That's why I'm not over critical of those players who are your stereotyped sicknotes.  You can do untold damage playing with injuries.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Mine don't bend very far these days either, and I'm only 46.  Too many games playing when 80% fit, and 5 knee ops.

That's why I'm not over critical of those players who are your stereotyped sicknotes.  You can do untold damage playing with injuries.

Mine only bends if I drop a pint !!!!

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but on RB Lee said Wilbs has a injection into his sore hip every so often, and two weeks later he runs around like a kid, or similar. Probably steroids, whatever though seems to work wonders.  

Cortisone I'd guess

Boy is he gonna suffer later in life bless him

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but on RB Lee said Wilbs has a injection into his sore hip every so often, and two weeks later he runs around like a kid, or similar. Probably steroids, whatever though seems to work wonders.  

Bet Wilbs is called for a urine sample on Tuesday, or maybe was on Saturday.  Keep yer gob shut Lee!

On 25/02/2017 at 21:15, Curr Avon said:

Seriously? That's not good, hope it's a short term thing. The details in Tony Cascarino's book about his knee made me shudder

Archived