IGNORED

Player ratings

ChubStixx

Just my view on today. On my way back now. 

Wilbs was fantastic today. Lots of moaning about his selection beforehand, but he never lets us down. Won plenty in the air today and led by example! Used his experience to disrupt Newcastle at times too. 

Giefer - some great saves. Need to see the goals again though.  8

Vyner - woefully exposed at times. Poor positioning. One exceptional tackle in the box. Didn't get forward. 5 

Wright - looked solid. 8

Flint - solid, commanding performance. 8

Bryan - had a good game. Defended well. 7

Smith - ran himself into the ground. Box to box today. 7

Reid - did ok. Put himself about. Some sloppiness and should have done better with his chance. 6

O'Dowda - very bright start. Great outlet, but faded. 7

Cotterill - worked his ass off. Took his goal well. Unlucky with the free-kick. Good deliveries. Showed good experience and leadership. 8

O'Neil - some tidy play. Good tackling. Barked instructions and helped keep our shape. Set up at least one goal, if not both. 8

Wilbraham - 9 for the reasons above. 

Subs:

Not on long enough, but Hordur looked good. 

LJ - took too long to sub a knackered Smith, instead waiting for a defensive corner!! And the selection of Vyner wasn't a good one. Set us up really well on the whole. 7

Edit: had to mark O'Neil up because of his involvement in the goals.

5 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Just my view on today. On my way back now. 

Wilbs was fantastic today. Lots of moaning about his selection beforehand, but he never lets us down. Won plenty in the air today and led by example! Used his experience to disrupt Newcastle at times too. 

Giefer - some great saves. Need to see the goals again though.  8

Vyner - woefully exposed at times. Poor positioning. One exceptional tackle in the box. Didn't get forward. 5 

Wright - looked solid. 8

Flint - solid, commanding performance. 8

Bryan - had a good game. Defended well. 7

Smith - ran himself into the ground. Box to box today. 7

Reid - did ok. Put himself about. Some sloppiness and should have done better with his chance. 6

O'Dowda - very bright start. Great outlet, but faded. 7

Cotterill - worked his ass off. Took his goal well. Unlucky with the free-kick. Good deliveries. Showed good experience and leadership. 8

O'Neil - some tidy play. Good tackling. Barked instructions and helped keep our shape. Set up at least one goal, if not both. 8

Wilbraham - 9 for the reasons above. 

Subs:

Not on long enough, but Hordur looked good. 

LJ - took too long to sub a knackered Smith, instead waiting for a defensive corner!! And the selection of Vyner wasn't a good one. Set us up really well on the whole. 7

Edit: had to mark O'Neil up because of his involvement in the goals.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Vyner there.

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Looked out of positon for the first. To be expected, if he is rated as our 3rd choice with what we have then he isnt going to be brilliant. At only 19, he might end up a top player in years to come and these games will do him no harm. But a position that so blatantly needed sorting in January.

Should have been dealt with this January...How is Moore getting on at Bury. ??

20 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Vyner played well and his last ditch tackle in the box in the second half was pure class. He's got a bright future.

Agree. Looked accomplished for me and tried to play clearances with a bit of thought rather than lumping it. 

Probably not the game to start bombing down the wing but think he will gain a lot of confidence from that performance. 

I am sure Zach Vyner will gain in confidence and ability after what sounds like a very decent performance in front of 50,000 hostile fans. I thought he was a CB? if that is the case, even better as he was playing out of position. One other thing Luke Ayling knew he was on his way a week after Piss gate, nothing to do with LJ, 

Giefer 8 easy to be critical of keepers but he made some good saves and caught countless crosses. Thought to myself some on here may owe him an apology! Hope to see more performances of similar standard upcoming. 

Vyner 7 thought he gave everything he had. Going up a top winger for the league, one who's played in a few different leagues on top of 30-40 international appearances for his country. 

Flint 9 I've been quite critical of him of late but put in a top performance today. Mitrovic didn't have a sniff and he threw himself in front of anything he could. The type of performance I come to expect from Flint and played to his strengths today. 

Wright 8 Think he's been around 8 for me every match since he's been here. Harasses players on the ball and clears everything. 

Bryan 7 Much better from him today. Good shift from LB(think it helps he's got a willing runner and big time athlete to partner him on the left been calling for it for ages). Didn't give Ritchie much to look at

Cotterill 9 probably my man of the match. Just doesn't stop running. Scored and probably the only player I think could've been mistake free. 

Smith 9 he's here he there well you know the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if he covered the most ground today. The Korey we all love and came to know the last 2 years. 

GON 7 reliable and the GON that helped get us off to our good start in August. 

O'Dowda 8 think he's quite clearly our best left footed winger now. Defensively great and a threat going forward with his pace and can beat men on the wing or inside. 

Reid 7 probably similar to Korey for me and even marked shelvey effectively for the first half. Expect a bit more going forward but can't fault the performance 

wilbs 8 ol reliable huh? Did everything you expect and even scored faded last 20 and Diame placed in front of him took him out if the game

my ratings are based on everyone putting in a shift defensively I don't think I've seen from us ever. There were some mistakes but this is the best team in the league and we went at them and made it uncomfortable for them. Completely different from Wednesday night and a performance I think anyone would be proud of. I know it sounds small club like but with what's gone on recently it was a fantastic day

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Smith 9 he's here he there well you know the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if he covered the most ground today. The Korey we all love and came to know the last 2 years. 

Very pleased about this one, hopefully he can carry it on now, one of our most consistent before this season. 

44 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Awful from Giefer on first goal.  Ball runs across him four yards away.  Dive on it man!

Have only seen the highlights and it does appear he made several smart saves. You're not wrong though, in that incident he was poor. 

Archived