IGNORED

High pressing game

Snufflelufagus

9 hours ago, nickolas said:

The pressing game is fine, IF WE ACTUALLY PLAYED IT! To me this is the sole reason why our form has gone out of control. 

We spent early season doing it and now seem to feel we dont need to and can just sit back and hold out ( Reading, Fulham at home for example ). 

Every team looks great if you afford them the time we have been over the last few months. 

8 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

Exactly this , we have no style of play or identity which is fine as it confuses the opposition.  Unfortunately for us the coaching staff seem to have confused our own players as to what they are meant to be doing. When you are struggling go back to basics like Pembo last January.  What yesterday reinforced for me is we have the players to compete comfortably in this league so our problems lay elsewhere.  I wonder where that could be ?

Exactly on both!

The Pembo comment is telling as that is exactly what we have to do and did yesterday. Go back to some basics and be solid.

Unfortunately yesterday we couldn't quite hold out and even more unfortunately both of their goals were soft...What was Geifer thinking not pouncing on a weak ball and how did we not clear it once it went past him. 

As for the second marking was poor and to be frank the mantra is never sub at a corner, which did not help.

However very good result and something to build on, from the bottom up....Fingers crossed for a result on Tuesday!!!

11 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

A good point yesterday but again we let a lead slip. I am starting to wonder if the high intensity high pressing game can be played for 90mins and two games a week? Already lots of fans talking about changes for Tuesday as players are tired. Even LJ said after the game that if one of them doesn't do it then it doesn't work (as holes are left) also would explain no tomlin. I think back to last season when we played Huddersfield at home. They played al the same way in the first half v us. I thought they looked one of the best teams I'd seen for a while. Second half they just ran out of stream and we scored 3 or 4 goals (this season do they still play the same way or are they extremely fitter?). Again Liverpool seem to also play this way and have recently tailed off ran out of steam?. It may explain why we let in so many late goals and leads slip. When you are tired and let a goal go surely your head and decision making must go to some extent, as it's much harder when you are tired.

The pressing game is a European style of play and has been around on and off for over thirty years and has been perfected. 

I don't think it's achievable in this country for a whole game as we play a different style. Maybe this is why the scousers can't do it for ninety minutes game in game out. 

Games ebb and flo and our lot must be bang on it from now till the end of the season. This is what being a pro is all about.

Archived