IGNORED

Swindon player burgled whilst at Coventry

Erithacus

What gets me is that if this was a normal member of the community nothing would be said or reported but because he plays football it's world ending news.

Lots of people get burgled everyday, it's a horrible thing to happen but just because you're a little bit famous shouldn't mean that you get preferential treatment.

The advantage he has over your average person is that he can probably afford to replace the stolen items, lots of people in that position can't afford it!!

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

What gets me is that if this was a normal member of the community nothing would be said or reported but because he plays football it's world ending news.

Lots of people get burgled everyday, it's a horrible thing to happen but just because you're a little bit famous shouldn't mean that you get preferential treatment.

The advantage he has over your average person is that he can probably afford to replace the stolen items, lots of people in that position can't afford it!!

Couldnt have put it better myself. A no mark footballer gets burgled, who gives a ****.

30 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Preferential treatment? What preferential treatment has he got?

Being burgled is horrible who ever you are. Imagine if his fiancé was at home, or if he had a young kid there too. Would that matter because "he earns more than I do"?

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Preferential treatment? What preferential treatment has he got?

Being burgled is horrible who ever you are. Imagine if his fiancé was at home, or if he had a young kid there too. Would that matter because "he earns more than I do"?

But if it were you or me, irrelevant if we had fiancé's there or no, it wouldn't be reported in the local free newspaper let alone making The BBC news!!

And I acknowledged that it's a horrible thing to happen, I just don't get why it happening to a T-list celebrity makes it more news worthy than it happening to the hundreds or thousands of other people that get robbed everyday!!

18 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But if it were you or me, irrelevant if we had fiancé's there or no, it wouldn't be reported in the local free newspaper let alone making The BBC news!!

And I acknowledged that it's a horrible thing to happen, I just don't get why it happening to a T-list celebrity makes it more news worthy than it happening to the hundreds or thousands of other people that get robbed everyday!!

why shouldn't it be news?.......hes the captain of the local team of the local news/media in that area...its a story

But he's hardly Wayne Rooney?

So why when my next door neighbour gets robbed isn't it seen as newsworthy enough to be reported on? Because he's not "famous", he's not worth making it into the news? Fair play, I'll let him know that his misfortune isn't as important as someone else's!!

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But if it was our captain who got burgled while playing an away match would you expect the local media to ignore it?

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

why shouldn't it be news?.......hes the captain of the local team of the local news/media in that area...its a story

And that's the point. Locally in Swindon it's "big news". That's why it's in the Wiltshire news section. And you have to remember that not much happens in Wiltshire, unless of course you fancy a massive punch-up in a Trowbridge pub!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-38959924

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

But if it was our captain who got burgled while playing an away match would you expect the local media to ignore it?

And that's the point. Locally in Swindon it's "big news". That's why it's in the Wiltshire news section. And you have to remember that not much happens in Wiltshire, unless of course you fancy a massive punch-up in a Trowbridge pub!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-38959924

Got to be honest, no I wouldn't expect it to be. On the clubs website maybe.......

The one thing that does surprise me is that sportsmen & women properties aren't targeted more, anyone who's that way inclined doesn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out when the local sports personalities are going to be away & it wouldn't take much to figure out who lives on their own etc & who's properties are empty for a day or more, especially with social media being what it is.

Maybe it does happen more but others aren't reported? I doubt it though as this is the celebrity society that we live in.

The thing about this, it appears that they thought they'd never be a target. I mean, a perception of money, an identifiable routine, possibly detached (secluded) property, etc.

This isn't rocket science for someone who might have money: monitored alarm system, safe good enough to allow the monitoring company to get to your property/get the police involved.

And the police don't appear to be informed. I believe insurance claims mandate a crime reference number. Is this an indication that they don't have insurance either :facepalm:

12 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But he's hardly Wayne Rooney?

So why when my next door neighbour gets robbed isn't it seen as newsworthy enough to be reported on? Because he's not "famous", he's not worth making it into the news? Fair play, I'll let him know that his misfortune isn't as important as someone else's!!

....but when forensics prove you were there, and you're charged and eventually appear in court, found guilty of burgling your neighbour,  you too will get your 15mins of fame in the news as you are 'taken down'

... Named, shamed, photo in the paper and on local TV - the lot. (& your neighbour can wallow and share in the reflected glory of your fame and notoriety, even though he's no longer wealthy as you've already nicked all his money and flogged off his Worldly goods... everybody's happy!)

Neither of you were famous as a local sportsman prior to the burglary and your arrest.. just proves where there's a will there's a way.. :)  (psst, remember to leave some fingerprints though, :fear:)

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Sure thing-id guess a few have never been on the receiving end-truly bloody awful feeling and takes a while to stop feeling sick.

Especially when the idiots are hiding in the bathroom with crowbars when you got home from work at 6.30pm, I mean who robs a house at the time people get home from work?  Trust me to get the burglars who couldn't organise a wotsit in a brewery!

The feeling is horrible, it's not necessarily the stuff that gets stolen but the fact your house doesn't feel like yours anymore.  Bloody horrible.

3 hours ago, RumRed said:

Especially when the idiots are hiding in the bathroom with crowbars when you got home from work at 6.30pm, I mean who robs a house at the time people get home from work?  Trust me to get the burglars who couldn't organise a wotsit in a brewery!

The feeling is horrible, it's not necessarily the stuff that gets stolen but the fact your house doesn't feel like yours anymore.  Bloody horrible.

Terrifying...Happy your here to tell the tale.

Archived