IGNORED

WHO WILL BE LEFT

generation1

Players who will remain at the club

Not Championship quality, but would be decent in L1 - but do we keep/extend contracts on players that we would not play if we get promoted again

Will leave when loan is up

Won't stay on in a league one side

Joe Bryan

Aden Flint

Gary O'Neil

Korey Smith (Vice-captain)

Josh Brownhill

Callum O'Dowda

Matty Taylor

Aaron Wilbraham (Captain)

Marlon Pack

Milan Đurić

Bailey Wright |other=Captain

Lloyd Kelly

Zak Vyner

Jamie Paterson

Frank Fielding

Mark Little

Tammy Abraham (on loan from Chelsea)

Lee Tomlin

Scott Golbourne

Bobby Reid

Gustav Engvall

Hörður Björgvin Magnússon

Adam Matthews (on loan from Sunderland)

Jens Hegeler

David Cotterill (on loan from Birmingham City)

Fabian Giefer (on loan from Schalke 04)

so League one side would not look bad with

ScreenShot_20170301100537.png.e8e43af87f7d614b5e2378ab20d3e869.png

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Would a smaller group be easier to keep happy? SC did very well with a small squad and so did JB and LJ in the second half of last season. If you look at a lot of line ups through out the championship you won't find a team sheet which is so different week in week out than ours. If the tinker didn't have the players available he wouldn't be able to mess around with formations and line ups. 

Think this is mainly due to there being no loan window!!

Although, for most of us , League 1 would be too much to bear , we do have a lot of exciting young talent who should be more than good enough to get us back into this league .

Could be fun if we hadn't already been there so often in the past .

We will need to see McCoulsky , Taylor Moore, Vyner , De Girolamo playing regularly.

14 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Players who will remain at the club

Not Championship quality, but would be decent in L1 - but do we keep/extend contracts on players that we would not play if we get promoted again

Will leave when loan is up

Won't stay on in a league one side

Joe Bryan

Aden Flint

Gary O'Neil

Korey Smith (Vice-captain)

Josh Brownhill

Callum O'Dowda

Matty Taylor

Aaron Wilbraham (Captain)

Marlon Pack

Milan Đurić

Bailey Wright |other=Captain

Lloyd Kelly

Zak Vyner

Jamie Paterson

Frank Fielding

Mark Little

Tammy Abraham (on loan from Chelsea)

Lee Tomlin

Scott Golbourne

Bobby Reid

Gustav Engvall

Hörður Björgvin Magnússon

Adam Matthews (on loan from Sunderland)

Jens Hegeler

David Cotterill (on loan from Birmingham City)

Fabian Giefer (on loan from Schalke 04)

so League one side would not look bad with

ScreenShot_20170301100537.png.e8e43af87f7d614b5e2378ab20d3e869.png

I think most of the players who have been playing at this level for two years now will be loathe to drop down  ( again ) and could find new clubs at this level .

The clubs coming up from League 1 would surely look at some of our less attractive players to help them bulk up their squads a bit with Championship experience.

3 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

We are not going down 

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I agree with most of that except Tomlin to go his wages get three decent div 1 players and really not sure wilbs  got the legs for it next year

So are we staying up or going down 

I think the good news is that there are some really promising young players at the club and once the loanees and the "Championship-only" players are stripped away, we could still have a very good team.

Better than the one that went down with SO'D.

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Giddo said:

I think the good news is that there are some really promising young players at the club and once the loanees and the "Championship-only" players are stripped away, we could still have a very good team.

Better than the one that went down with SO'D.

Are you Mark Ashton?

There is no evidence any of the new signings will be able to step up 

44 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are you Mark Ashton?

There is no evidence any of the new signings will be able to step up 

Equally no evidence that they won't.

There are no guarantees obviously but we seem to have some talented youngsters.

Taylor Moore , De Girolamo, O'Dowda , Vyner , McCoulsky ..,

Reading people say "we have some really good young promising players at the club".

I've heard this a lot in the past. And where exactly are they?

If you have a "good, young, potential player" he will be around the first team squad quite a bit. Playing the odd game off the bench etc. Not heading out on loan to Bath City.

Look at the likes of Will Hughes for Derby, Sessegnon for Fulham, Dozzell for Ipswich etc. 

The point is, in the words as ashtonyate use to say.. "the academy is not good enough".

IF City were to ply their trade in L1 rather than the Championship, attracting loanees such as Tammy will be harder. It benefits the player and his parent club for Tammy to be playing & scoring in the Championship.

I think the fact that we have had to look at this is so depressing as I think we have the best squad of players in recent memory. I think we can say that all the loan players will go. Of the permanent squad - Tomlin aint playing in league 1 so he will be off. O'Neill will also depart. Those are the big earners. Little is out of contract but could be retained as he is a League One player. Wilbs is out of contract and whilst he has been a good servant, time to let him go or perhaps join the coaching set up.

Cannot really see too many others leaving as most are retained on long term contracts. We would have a cracking group for league one but that just about sums it up really as we should NEVER EVER have been in this position. 

On 3/1/2017 at 10:23, Major Isewater said:

I think most of the players who have been playing at this level for two years now will be loathe to drop down  ( again ) and could find new clubs at this level .

The clubs coming up from League 1 would surely look at some of our less attractive players to help them bulk up their squads a bit with Championship experience.

All good points Major.....

I bet the players we have are on impressive Championship wages and would most likely prefer to keep on earning around current levels than playing at a higher level on possibly less money or even for another side who will be like us or Rotherham this season. For maybe some of the wrong reasons , many of our players will want to stay here.

The other thing is that although we continually prove we're not quite good enough for the Championship- we also continually prove we're too good for L1. 

If we get relegated and if we start winning again in L1 then the crowds will come back ( they always do) and we will indeed have a good squad. And the best stadium and a hard core of fans who support the club whichever Division we're in. 

I'm hoping we stay up and believe we still can but have mentally prepared myself for life in L1.

In a funny old way, this season has been one big disappointment so it can't now get any worse for me and anything good will be one massive unexpected happy bonus. We are where we are.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think teams will be after quite a lot of our players. Even players that can't get in our side. It wouldn't surprise me if teams chased Bryan, flint, Wright, Brownhill, pack, smith, O'Neil if they're willing to pay his wages, tomlin, Djuric. Fans would have said what championship team would want Williams, ayling and Freeman? Well, they did want them. And they seem to perform better when moving on. We know about ayling at Leeds. Blackburn fans really rate Williams at left back, a position he hardly ever played for us. Its early days but qpr fans seem impressed with Freeman. And then of course there's cunningham who is quality for Preston. If we go down then I see many of our players moving to championship sides and performing much better than they have for us, like those players have. There is one simple reason for that.

I swear this always happens. I watch the results come in on sky sports with my mates on the odd occasion.

All I seem to do is say "he used to play for us, he did as well, oh and the guy who got the assist player for us" 

I know players move on part of the game... but seems like once they're away from the Gate they really love to kick on and show potential.

19 hours ago, 22A said:

IF City were to ply their trade in L1 rather than the Championship, attracting loanees such as Tammy will be harder. It benefits the player and his parent club for Tammy to be playing & scoring in the Championship.

Good job you pointed that out

Archived