IGNORED

The board of directors

REDOXO

Where are you? Who are you?

Are you puppets? Are you deaf/dumb/blind or just rabbits in the headlights?

The basic job of the board seems to be being ignored by you. When will someone come out and make a statement? At this point it's pretty obvious no one will or has the power to do or say anything. Just deferring all responsibility to Steve.

i guess some of you may have told Steve privately our managers a clown and our team is a joke, however you stay and take his money and keep your heads down and gobs shut.  How does that feel?

Someone needs to man up! Now!!

Guest Benjam!n Ultra

If SL gives them the authorisation to speak, until then they'll keep quiet and nod in agreement with whatever SL decides. 

7 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

If SL gives them the authorisation to speak, until then they'll keep quiet and nod in agreement with whatever SL decides. 

Isn't that a dictatorship? Something resembling Hitler 60 to 70 years ago... :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So far then people are blaming the board, SL, LJ, the players and Mark Ashton on various threads. Do they really want to sack everyone and start again?

The only person at the club that the fans can 'get sacked' is the manager. We don't have the luxury of being able to sack anyone else sadly.

The board at City isn't like a board at a large company that has numerous shareholders. Then, the board has to make collective decisions on every aspect of running the company, to satisfy the shareholders. With City, there is one shareholder,  Steve Lansdown, who owns 99.999% of the shares. (I own one share from 1981).  There is no collective decision making on major decisions. SL makes them himself, as is to be expected from someone who has such a large stack. The "board" only has authority over day-to-day operations, and therefore they shouldn't really be called "the board". They are just senior managers. As they have no real authority regarding hiring and firing, they can't make any public statements. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The board at City isn't like a board at a large company that has numerous shareholders. Then, the board has to make collective decisions on every aspect of running the company, to satisfy the shareholders. With City, there is one shareholder,  Steve Lansdown, who owns 99.999% of the shares. (I own one share from 1981).  There is no collective decision making on major decisions. SL makes them himself, as is to be expected from someone who has such a large stack. The "board" only has authority over day-to-day operations, and therefore they shouldn't really be called "the board". They are just senior managers. As they have no real authority regarding hiring and firing, they can't make any public statements. 

The role of a Board of Directors is not necessarily to make collective decisions - that is usually the role of the Executive.  The Directors are there to assure themselves that the business is being run properly, to ensure compliance, to monitor finances and to approve strategy.  Commonly a Board of Directors would only appoint the Chief Executive, who would be responsible for the recruitment of other staff.

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Lansdown owns roughly 95% and Dawe the other roughly 5% give or take a little for us plebs with a few shares.

I'm not sure you're right that there's NO collective decision making, I think it's widely known that Dawe picked SC as manager for example.

Clueless the lot of you! Non league football to get the heart beat going of the club again?? Utter tripe!

We are on a shocking run of form which could result in relegation , but a reality check from all you super fans who want to stand on your soap boxes is you wouldn't do any better than SL or do it with constant bullshit he has to put up with. 

15 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Bored of directors that do f all.

Yeah the stadium built itself and the 17 players we had this season bought themselves, the half term soccer school my kids went to attended by 450 kids ran itself, the £9 million wage bill pays itself.

F all.... No you know F all!!! 

Clueless

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Yeah the stadium built itself and the 17 players we had this season bought themselves, the half term soccer school my kids went to attended by 450 kids ran itself, the £9 million wage bill pays itself.

Clueless

The stadium is going to be Bristol's great white elephant, as far as City and Bristol are concerned, and it is too small to host internationals in either sport or to be used for under lights cricket 

17 players who have simply anchored us at the bottom of the league.

Children's soccer schools don't need billionaire autocrats to organise them, I have done same for adults with, for example Nobby Stiles when he was manager of PNE. It isn't rocket science and there are a host of ways to raise the money required

The £9m wage bill is inflated by the inflated playing staff at all levels

A good management set up, with multi investors, an active Board, with fan involvement, could with ease run the club, if it was not for the yoke of BS around City's neck

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The stadium is going to be Bristol's great white elephant, as far as City and Bristol are concerned, and it is too small to host internationals in either sport or to be used for under lights cricket 

Children's soccer schools don't need billionaire autocrats to organise them, I have done same for adults with, for example Nobby Stiles when he was manager of PNE. It isn't rocket science and there are a host of ways to raise the money required

A good management set up, with multi investors, an active Board, with fan involvement, could with ease run the club, if it was not for the yoke of BS around City's neck

You are so blinkered by bristol sport. Bristol sport is only a company that runs bristol city. It's a benefit to have a company like that to run us.

white elephant my arse! It will and has already started to make us a self funding club where the stadium is in use 7 days a week rather than every other Saturday. 

That same stadium that was funded fully and at no cost to any of us or the bristol public to the tune of £47 million plus!! 

I know most old people like yourself don't adapt to change well but just don't bother supporting city if you can't see how lucky you are!

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You are so blinkered by bristol sport. Bristol sport is only a company that runs bristol city. It's a benefit to have a company like that to run us.

white elephant my arse! It will and has already started to make us a self funding club where the stadium is in use 7 days a week rather than every other Saturday. 

That same stadium that was funded fully and at no cost to any of us or the bristol public to the tune of £47 million plus!! 

I know most old people like yourself don't adapt to change well but just don't bother supporting city if you can't see how lucky you are!

Oh dear  I fear you are going to be bitterly disappointed one day.

And remember  'us old people' have seen it all before and with the wisdom of age  attempt to get you lads to see the reality and not what you would like to be the reality

Here ends the lesson because views are so inflexible here on otib it really isn't worth commenting further

I have put my views out there, so take them or leave them, I am no longer bothered

9 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Don't tell people to feel lucky. Ashton Gate has become a much less enjoyable place since they knocked the EE down. I get that it may have had to be done, but don't tell a one legged man he should be grateful to be alive after an amputation that was necessary to save his life. There is a lot of discontent that AG has never been so toxic and sterile.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

And remember  'us old people' have seen it all before and with the wisdom age  attempt to get you lads to see the reality and not what you would like to be the reality

Here ends the lesson because views are so inflexible here on otib it really isn't worth commenting further

So in your life time of watching city you've had the good times, those good times were very short and took years to build up to. 

What SL is trying to do now is to build again so hopefully one day if we do get to the premier league we are set for it. Well we are off the pitch but miles away on the pitch , so pretty much like we have been all our history then?

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Don't tell people to feel lucky. Ashton Gate has become a much less enjoyable place since they knocked the EE down. I get that it may have had to be done, but don't tell a one legged man he should be grateful to be alive after an amputation that was necessary to ave his life. There is a lot of discontent that AG has never been so toxic and sterile.

Yes I loved pissing against a wall in the EE! Move on , adapt to change. We aren't living in the 60,70,80's anymore! 

I bet if you ask the crowd on Saturday if they prefer the old or new Ashton gate 80% plus would say the new one.

im glad you are in the minority. 

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

And remember  'us old people' have seen it all before and with the wisdom of age  attempt to get you lads to see the reality and not what you would like to be the reality

I have put my views out there, so take them or leave them, I am no longer bothered

Well I'm retired and could be classified as old, and you don't sound very wise to me

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

So in your life time of watching city you've had the good times, those good times were very short and took years to build up to. 

What SL is trying to do now is to build again so hopefully one day if we do get to the premier league we are set for it. Well we are off the pitch but miles away on the pitch , so pretty much like we have been all our history then?

Spoons, you've admitted it at last so why do you think us 'older' supporters get pissed off, WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE and in 20 years SL has got us a Stadium, but I go to watch the football. Ask yourself another question. When us oldies went to AG, we didnt have all the booze etc around the stadium before and during watching a match so there wasnt a revenue stream in those days. As a retired publican, I gasp at the profit BS or whoever is making from the 'facilities' something never in place years ago so it is money into the pot they never had before. Dont get drawn into SL being a philanthropist - he is not, he is a businessman and on top of that, an accountant who forever tries to balance the books. Personally I am getting like a lot of my predecessors and starting not to give a monkeys......the future of BCFC is for you youngsters and we dont want you to be on OTIB 2035 doing the Bl***y same as we are doing now. 

42 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Haha haha- £9m? Try adding 50% to that for season 2015-16.

According to the accounts i.e. 2015-16

Wages & Salaries- £13,614, 238. No that doesn't include social security or pension or directors remuneration.

Obviously the wage bill is higher than turnover- as of 15-16 season.

@oldstandrobin As of last season, according to the accounts we made a loss of about £13m last season- which isn't in itself a problem with football being as it is, but when loss and wage bill exceed turnover that isn't great.

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Yes I loved pissing against a wall in the EE! Move on , adapt to change. We aren't living in the 60,70,80's anymore! 

I bet if you ask the crowd on Saturday if they prefer the old or new Ashton gate 80% plus would say the new one.

im glad you are in the minority. 

I wouldn't know anything about that era as I am only 22. You strike me as someone who sees top flight football as the goal, and that is fine. However there are more important things than top flight football in my opinion like atmosphere and affordability. The atmosphere is now the worst it has ever been and tickets are still quite expensive despite us managing to find £3,000,000 for Tomlin. In fact we could have not bought Tomlin (who hardly plays at the moment anyway) saving 3 million plus his wages and had season tickets for about £100 each and we'd have more money and a fuller stadium whilst putting fans first. 

Allow others to pick their own priorities as for many, football is far more than simply success or else we'd all support Chelsea and Man U.

P.S I'm not saying success is bad, in fact it is good and we all want it, but it shouldn't get in the way of the 'club', rather than the business. 

47 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The role of a Board of Directors is not necessarily to make collective decisions - that is usually the role of the Executive.  The Directors are there to assure themselves that the business is being run properly, to ensure compliance, to monitor finances and to approve strategy.  Commonly a Board of Directors would only appoint the Chief Executive, who would be responsible for the recruitment of other staff.

I don't disagree with this if applied to a usual business. Where it goes wrong is when applied to City. In a usual business the board would appoint and monitor the performance of the Chief Exec, who would have authority to hire and fire senior people. SL has the final decision on hiring and firing managers so, whatever his official title, he is a CE. The process at City is back to front as SL, the Chief Exec,  appoints the board! Even if they feel the club is not being run properly, due to poor performance by LJ or SL, they can't sack either. That's why I feel they are really senior managers 

46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Lansdown owns roughly 95% and Dawe the other roughly 5% give or take a little for us plebs with a few shares.

I'm not sure you're right that there's NO collective decision making, I think it's widely known that Dawe picked SC as manager for example.

Dawe picked SC, but he had no authority to appoint him. I'm sure that SL has said that he had agreed to Dawe's suggestion because previously he had ignored his suggestions. That's not really collective decision making because there is really only one person who makes the big decisions - SL. 

I suppose i have to be grateful to the likes of John Lewis,Tesco,Asda,and a whole bunch of others where i shop, after all they all got nice buildings, some better than others and they are built for one reason only, to attract customers through their doors, the old AG was past its sell by date and was costing a fortune to maintain, why should i feel grateful to a businessman for improving his property for the sole purpose of attracting customers,football is a business and its the owners that should feel grateful that i choose to spend my money in their premises, as it happens the goods on offer at AG are well below par and the way things are going will get worse so no i am not grateful and never will be to anybody whose sole aim is to take my money. 

54 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Clueless

Yep, having been a regular for 50 years, I'm F*****G bored and pissed off with the constant false dawns and under achievement at my club. I'm pleased you're happy with the stuff for your kids etc. I want the first team sorted.

Berk.

See? I can do insults as well.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The basic job of the board seems to be being ignored by you. When will someone come out and make a statement? At this point it's pretty obvious no one will or has the power to do or say anything. Just deferring all responsibility to Steve.

i guess some of you may have told Steve privately our managers a clown and our team is a joke, however you stay and take his money and keep your heads down and gobs shut.  How does that feel?

I didn't realise that we had one.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Clueless

Screw the stadium.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

They only need to bend and splay.

23 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, having been a regular for 50 years, I'm F*****G bored and pissed off with the constant false dawns and under achievement at my club. I'm pleased you're happy with the stuff for your kids etc. I want the first team sorted.

Berk.

Time for cocco and bed, nearly six o'clock !!

27 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I don't disagree with this if applied to a usual business. Where it goes wrong is when applied to City. In a usual business the board would appoint and monitor the performance of the Chief Exec, who would have authority to hire and fire senior people. SL has the final decision on hiring and firing managers so, whatever his official title, he is a CE. The process at City is back to front as SL, the Chief Exec,  appoints the board! Even if they feel the club is not being run properly, due to poor performance by LJ or SL, they can't sack either. That's why I feel they are really senior managers 

Dawe picked SC, but he had no authority to appoint him. I'm sure that SL has said that he had agreed to Dawe's suggestion because previously he had ignored his suggestions. That's not really collective decision making because there is really only one person who makes the big decisions - SL. 

Can Keith Dawe pick the next one then?

*runs off to send Keith Dawe tweets, Facebook posts, text messages and letters telling him how great Gary Rowett is*

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

For someone who is no longer bothered you seem to post a hell of a lot about it!!!

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Bet you do though.....

Nothing personal Ivor, but I'd really prefer to leave them.

It's just that when I see you have commented I know there's more chance your contribution will be negative about all things BCFC than LJ has of losing a match. I get that we're in a wretched situation- it's frustrating but there are good points about BCFC.

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Berk.

good on yer! bored to tears with most of the comments on here

Back in the Middle Ages, even  the house of a merchant would typically only have a table made from boards with only one chair. The majority of the household sat on benches, or the floor, with the senior person sitting in the chair. Hence the expression "chairman of the board". Perhaps so much money has been spent on the ground that SL can only afford planks for a meeting table and only one chair, that Keith Dawe is allowed to sit on. That's why he's called "the chairman of board" even though he doesn't do much. Far fetched you say, but can you think of a better reason?

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bet you do though.....

Nothing personal Ivor, but I'd really prefer to leave them.

It's just that when I see you have commented I know there's more chance your contribution will be negative about all things BCFC than LJ has of losing a match. I get that we're in a wretched situation- it's frustrating but there are good points about BCFC.

Name the good points for BCFC at the moment?  The 1st team, not the stadium or our 'academy'.

If your answer is look at 1982 blah de blah then that's just comparing crap with crap.

Our club, not the conrete and plastic, not SL's bank balance, not potential.

So what's left of BCFC?  

We're surrounded by the corporate crap of a lower placed Prem team with the real chance Rovers with their tent and plastic chairs will be above us next season.

Wake up!

30 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Name the good points for BCFC at the moment?  The 1st team, not the stadium or our 'academy'.

If your answer is look at 1982 blah de blah then that's just comparing crap with crap.

So what's left of BCFC?  

We're surrounded by the corporate crap of a lower placed Prem team with the real chance Rovers with their tent and plastic chairs will be above us next season.

Wake up!

Don't believe  some of them can wake up, or perhaps even want to. Perhaps the owner slips something into their half time Bovril every match!

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

So what's left of BCFC?  

Wake up!

What a perfect response. Ask a question then make up the answer which I never even hinted at or thought.

What a lot of anger in you.

Clearly for the likes of you, Ivor , Ben "Ultra" and Mile Hertz- there is nothing worth supporting at BCFC- so don't and save yourself and others a whole lot of hurt and do something else.

24 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What a perfect response. Ask a question then make up the answer which I never even hinted at or thought.

Clearly for the likes of you, Ivor , Ben "Ultra" and Mile Hertz- there is nothing worth supporting at BCFC- so don't and save yourself and others a whole lot of hurt and do something else.

Here we go again personal abuse rather than rational debate

How dare you question mine or others support of City. You probably weren't even born when I saw my first game

We all support City and want City to be here in a 100 years time. Many of us believe the present structure militates against that desire. And on evidence of otib more and more people support such a view

You are welcome to disagree, but not with personal abuse - that is not the City way

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Of course I'm angry, aren't you?  If not why not?  My families club since 1894, don't you dare tell me to do something else.  For some of us this club means more than kowtowing to SL and clapping like performing sea lions at abject performances on the pitch and incompetence/arrogance in the boardroom.

23 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Of course I'm angry, aren't you?  If not why not?  My families club since 1894, don't you dare tell me to do something else.  For some of us this club means more than kowtowing to SL and clapping like performing sea lions at abject performances on the pitch and incompetence/arrogance in the boardroom.

Agreed I think city fans are allowed to feel angry. We should have established ourselves In league.

Yet for some reason we are precariously close to beckoning the Rocers once more.

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Here we go again personal abuse rather than rational debate

How dare you question mine or others support of City. You probably weren't even born when I saw my first game

We all support City and want City to be here in a 100 years time. Many of us believe the present structure militates against that desire. And on evidence of otib more and more people support such a view

You are welcome to disagree, but not with personal abuse - that is not the City way

Once again- you say what you think not what you actually read. There was zero personal abuse- not my style.

What I made clear is that if you feel that EVERYTHING to do with BCFC is wrong, bad, incompetent,  from the academy to the  first team, manager, board, owner and employees- what the hell are you doing still supporting this club?

And if you think OTIB is evidence of your own constantly negative views then why oh why would City get near 6000 away fans supporting their team very vocally in the last two away matches. They clearly think there's something still worth supporting as do I.

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

I repeat: if you are that angry and that negative- do something else and save your self the hurt.

I'm not angry because I don't believe our problems are the end of the world or a personal slight to me. I'm not angry because the memory of my best ever season as a supporter which no one predicted is still fresh in my memory. I'm not angry because so far we haven't been relegated.

Archived