IGNORED

Atmosphere at Ashton Gate

JakeOTIB

7 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

it was not about winning or losing it was about terrace culture and a a bit of the Dolman A/B. a culture that was in steep decline here like it was everywhere else. had a upturn for a while via the EE being reopened. This is modern football. the club didn't understand that culture. amount of   there is also a few fans who made it difficult for those who wanted fans to get a real say in the stadium redvelopment.  noise culture were not that important and now its been reduced to dreaded singing sections.

Exactly. Ask any board member at Bcfc what made Liverpool's Spion Kop great in its heyday, they wouldn't have a clue. 

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sherringham wasn't it

Dolman B Block 

*sigh*

Happy days

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it was Teddy Sheringham who scored a hatrick against us in the 1-4, it was April 1991? 

Millwall - great example of fans who create an incredible atmosphere with zero cringy singing....

Edit: apologies, just saw that 'Bob' mentioned Teddy in the post above...

You are of course both correct. 

there were also fans Cotswold who didn't want supporters having any say in the redevelopment and made it difficult by putting around all sorts of nonsense. what Ashton gate has turned into fine looking stadium yes, but that dead atmosphere yes was predicted. pity those naysayers noise to replace what was lost is at a level only dogs can hear!!

I was watching in the seventies when we had standing, a capacity of 37,000 and it cost 40p to go in (all pay on the day). The atmosphere was electric. But you also had no refreshments (other than hot dogs outside the ground), it was almost impossible to get to the toilets and at many games you were concerned about your safety when you left the stadium. People don't realise how lucky we are now!

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I was watching in the seventies when we had standing, a capacity of 37,000 and it cost 40p to go in (all pay on the day). The atmosphere was electric. But you also had no refreshments (other than hot dogs outside the ground), it was almost impossible to get to the toilets and at many games you were concerned about your safety when you left the stadium. People don't realise how lucky we are now!

We would have those days back though. I was only young but loved those times.

The support from fans on away games is always loud, singing, chanting and creating a good atmosphere. 

but when you look at the home fans at the away games they are usually quite quiet as well, there have been some exceptions to that this year. 

The squashed up singing fans at Ashton gate do sing along all game, now just to get the rest of the stadium to 'stand up' 'Sit down' and sing. it seems that most people want this 'great' atmosphere but don't want to do on the day. This is not only from the loosing run we are on now, its been for a few years. 

4 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Blimey, I remember that. Cascarino and Sheringham tore us a new one that day. They were very good and both on the way to fame and fortune.

Think it was a crunch(ish) game too - think we were both towards the upper end of the table

As you say Sherringham and partner (As Nomad has identified - Cascarino ) tore us a new one !

I remember Sherringham as being clinical - a sign of the player he was / to become

17 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Exactly. Ask any board member at Bcfc what made Liverpool's Spion Kop great in its heyday, they wouldn't have a clue. 

Mr Lansdown was a open admirer of the Madjeski stadium.

The corporate entity controlling Ashton Gate now adds to the sanitising effect. Bristol City have remained at Ashton Gate, but it feels so bland, and more could have should have been done to avoid that. 

I will say this and it maybe wrong it maybe right who knows.

I don't think the board, perhaps even the club as it is now- understand- properly understand- football or football fans. Not at all- well out of touch Just watch they will try to stop banners on Saturday if indeed there are any I am sure of it- and that I would wager any amount of cash would be at the direction of the board/,manager/club. Lansdown and Lee Johnson have been in football long enough to know what happens when a side goes on an appalling run but the other board members?

When we go down!! One guarantee will be, it was the fans fault for not creating a atmosphere for the players. This seems to be a regular dig now at the fans attending home games. First from SL, then LJ and now AW! I'm sorry but if you play shite then you won't get the vocal support. 

Getting so toxic over the club I love! but, I am gradually falling out of love with how much BS we are fed. 

4 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

When we go down!! One guarantee will be, it was the fans fault for not creating a atmosphere for the players. This seems to be a regular dig now at the fans attending home games. First from SL, then LJ and now AW! I'm sorry but if you play shite then you won't get the vocal support. 

Getting so toxic over the club I love! but, I am gradually falling out of love with how much BS we are fed. 

AW?

Hard to keep track of whose who beyond the obvious with the expansion of the Bristol Sport!

The atmosphere is bad. That suits BS just fine, they associate atmosphere with crowd trouble, 'un-family friendly' chanting and issues with people standing. They'd much rather have a silent stadium that spent a lot of money in the bar and around the ground than a hostile AG, that's clearly the aim.

S82 do a good job in difficult circumstances but they've been pushed from one bodged compromise solution to another.. always the worst areas of the ground. We used to be a fair bit better than average for atmosphere, but since the redevelopment it's got even worse. Even games vs Cardiff don't seem to generate anything anymore.. before the redevelopment it used to be a pretty good atmosphere for modern football.

That first season in the Championship under GJ had some great atmospheres.. Cardiff when they ripped up the netting, QPR on the opening day, those playoff games.. opposition managers used to comment on it - Phil Brown and Warnock did. Perhaps that's partly the success on the pitch, the fact we knew really that we were overachieving and also the EE being open properly.

If we went up, I think the atmosphere would improve hugely - it seems to be better if we're underdogs. IF they got the location of S82/singing section correct that is.

39 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

If that happened, it would be the end for me. I doubt I would be the only one too. It would show a total disregard for, and a lack of respect for,the supporters. I can't believe that would happen, I genuinely can't.

15 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Atmosphere is very poor at Ashton Gate now. but that is the pay off for having top class modern family friendly facilities.

This guy has hit the nail on the head. For whatever reason, it seems that the minute you get a new, family friendly, state of the art stadium, atmosphere evaporates. 

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Wilbs may not be quite good enough at this level but he is one of the few who always gives 100% and off the field seems to be a great professional who doesn't throw his toys out the pram. All he's doing is trying to unite the fans for what could be a truly defining next few months. If the comment came from some of the others then I'd be cynical but I don't think Wilbs is having a pop, just pleading. 

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Bristol Sport or Bull Shit....pretty much the same thing.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Yeah, the Dolman gets involved there when it came. I was thinking of making that my next home once the Atyeo shuts as a few of my mates are already in there. 

I think quite a few from the Atyeo will naturally gravitate there.

Hopefully they will, was always decent back in the 80's & 90's and who can forget it shaking vs Hartlepool! 

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

This is not meant to sound terse, but it is not lucky to have decent facilities, it should be a given. Today's kids will not experience the positive aspects. I would not call that lucky either. Those who have watched football through the decades will realise what has been lost. 

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Lansdown was a open admirer of the Madjeski stadium.

The corporate entity controlling Ashton Gate now adds to the sanitising effect. Bristol City have remained at Ashton Gate, but it feels so bland, and more could have should have been done to avoid that. 

Was he? Shit identikit stadium. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The atmosphere is bad. That suits BS just fine, they associate atmosphere with crowd trouble, 'un-family friendly' chanting and issues with people standing. They'd much rather have a silent stadium that spent a lot of money in the bar and around the ground than a hostile AG, that's clearly the aim.

S82 do a good job in difficult circumstances but they've been pushed from one bodged compromise solution to another.. always the worst areas of the ground. We used to be a fair bit better than average for atmosphere, but since the redevelopment it's got even worse. Even games vs Cardiff don't seem to generate anything anymore.. before the redevelopment it used to be a pretty good atmosphere for modern football.

That first season in the Championship under GJ had some great atmospheres.. Cardiff when they ripped up the netting, QPR on the opening day, those playoff games.. opposition managers used to comment on it - Phil Brown and Warnock did. Perhaps that's partly the success on the pitch, the fact we knew really that we were overachieving and also the EE being open properly.

If we went up, I think the atmosphere would improve hugely - it seems to be better if we're underdogs. IF they got the location of S82/singing section correct that is.

I hear this a lot that BS only want a "family friendly" crowd - so how do you explain their push for safe standing prior to the rebuild starting, something very obviously associated with a more working class / vociferous type of supporter?

21 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

Ever since the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, I have noticed a dip in the Atmosphere. Before, we use to be quite intimidating and much, much louder than we currently are. I don't know whether this is because of the football we play, or the fans not knowing how to create one. I am a season ticket holder in the South Stand, and I always hear glimpses of a chant beginning. But literally after the first verse and it usually being quite quiet, it dies down. It feels quite dead at Ashton Gate, so I would like to gauge everybody's thoughts.

Fake news apparently....

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I hear this a lot that BS only want a "family friendly" crowd - so how do you explain their push for safe standing prior to the rebuild starting, something very obviously associated with a more working class / vociferous type of supporter?

I appreciate that, and I find it odd because it runs opposite to the impression they give in general. Me being cynical it's a case of 'I'll believe it when I see it'. At worst it's an empty promise because they know it'll be years before it happens. I would love us to have safe standing though.

Archived