IGNORED

Sorry, Wilbs...

Kid in the Riot

6 hours ago, Collis1 said:

What on earth do you expect him to say?

"To be honest mate, we are doomed - I can't see us staying up"

"Yeah, LJ is clearly struggling we probably need a change"

:facepalm:

Indeed, Wilbs has to be 'politically correct' in the interview, whatever his true feelings may be.

Leicester players were saying much the same before and immediately after Ranieri was sacked, then they turn around in first game without him and put in their best performance of the season in the league!  I thought the CR sacking was shocking, but if Leicester knock off another 2 or 3 wins now, it will seem like their board did the right thing, however harsh that may have been.

6 hours ago, reddoh said:

I would rather have an article on player where they have hired a bus from first and the defenders are taught how to park it.

Knowing us we would park it on the half line,

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Where does Aaron Wilbraham use the word 'toxic'?

In this article (http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/veteran-striker-aaron-wilbraham-addresses-those-rumours-surrounding-future-of-city-boss-lee-johnson/story-30175245-detail/story.html), the only person to use it is Andy Stockhausen.

The article is attributed to Wilbraham.

But here's the thing what is missing from that article IMHO is " considering the shite that we have been serving up over the past embarrassing record breaking 5 months it is incredible the level of support that we have been receiving from the City fans, we really need them now ".

And maybe an explanation as to what happened to the 'spirit' v Fulham, LJ has put his hands up to a tactical error but that tactical error lasted 90 minutes and was never at any stage put right, to say again Gary Owers spotted it in the first couple of minutes.

7 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Wilbs is towing the party line there IMO. It's his employer after all and I would guess that he's been briefed what to say.

It's the modern day spin machine at work, I reckon.

I feel for the poor bugger. I don't blame Wilbs at all. He is paid to be a footballer and pressers are part of that. Very obviously, someone has said "let's interview Wilbs - he's a fans favourite and we can tell him what to say." Who gave him the crib sheet to read from? Whoever that was, I blame them. 

No real point in ever analysing this sort of interview.

As for it being described as "open and honest" who seriously really believes that?

Footballers are employees with (I expect) social media clauses and expectations of the number of media friendly interviews in their contract.

We are in a terrible mess, so Wilbs, as one of our few players with any credibility left was lined up to spout nonsense I doubt he truly believes.

It is all a pointless charade, as you know when players come out with the following comments;

"buzzing to have signed for (insert name of club)"

"good point, we go again"

"the fans were unreal".

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No real point in ever analysing this sort of interview.

As for it being described as "open and honest" who seriously really believes that?

Footballers are employees with (I expect) social media clauses and expectations of the number of media friendly interviews in their contract.

We are in a terrible mess, so Wilbs, as one of our few players with any credibility left was lined up to spout nonsense I doubt he truly believes.

It is all a pointless charade, as you know when players come out with the following comments;

"buzzing to have signed for (insert name of club)"

"good point, we go again"

"the fans were unreal".

the players just want the money and to keep their employer happy

9 hours ago, Woodsy said:

And this is the bit that gets me. Look at that squad, there is a fantastic mix of youth, experience, pace, power, smarts, nigglers etc etc

Why are we so ******* bad? Something isn't right, and the people that are paid to spot it and sort it aren't doing either

When we kick off next season at home to Doncaster in front of 12,000 it's really gonna hit home just how badly we ****** up this year

The problem, as I see it is. Is that the experienced players we have, for one reason or another (fitness etc) have not actually played much. Wibs, GON,  & Tomlin  have pretty much been bit part players. Goldbourne is experienced at this level, but hasn't impressed. And the less said about Adam Matthews, the better . So I do feel we perhaps haven't had the wonderful mix of youth and experience, that some on here are suggesting! 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Of course there are bust-ups to varying extents across most clubs.  A good man-manager will use it to galvanise his team and their performance.  A good man-manager will know when to isolate that trouble-maker, or make them feel even more special.  There is no one solution for all if it.  Often, experience helps guide you.

LJ has limited managerial experience to call on and that's one of his obvious drawbacks - amongst many others I might add.

The almost unique experience he does have though is having played the majority of his career under his father's management - Gary 'hand grenade' Johnson.

I liked GJ but there's not much doubt he didn't suffer fools gladly or take any prisoners when it came to dealing with any dressing room dissent.

LJ may well be be a chip off the old block who mimics his Dad's ways including criticising individual players, but in his case without having gained the necessary respect and man management skills to carry it off. 

GJ has had decades of managerial experience including several promotions, achievements he can point to to back up any strong words.

It's inevitable LJ will have studied and absorbed his father's methods throughout his own playing career and GJ will be his overwhelming influence.With that saturated upbringing in the professional game LJ may well have thought he knew it all when he came into management himself. All those family Sunday lunches talking football and his future management career may have left him seeing himself as almost the finished product, in many ways a manager in the image of his father but with fancy new coaching methods, formations and endless spiel to impress potential employers.

One area he apparently falls short in though is handling players and fostering team spirit, so when his charges become bemused by his selections, tactics, formations, public utterances etc. it's possible his default response may be to very quickly resort to chucking mini hand grenades, thereby spreading disenchantment and lethargy throughout areas of the squad.

A more worldly manager may have seen occasions when such actions were inappropriate or self defeating, and thus avoided apparently alienating numerous players, and contributing to landing us in the shambolic situation we find ourselves in today.

Some like to follow in their fathers' footsteps. In LJ's case perhaps he started to run before he could walk, and in doing so forgot that although there were many advantageous points to take from his Dad's management style, there were also other less favourable ones that might need to be discarded if he wanted to succeed in management at an early age.

That's my theory anyway.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ has limited managerial experience to call on and that's one of his obvious drawbacks - amongst many others I might add.

The almost unique experience he does have though is having played the majority of his career under his father's management - Gary 'hand grenade' Johnson.

I liked GJ but there's not much doubt he didn't suffer fools gladly or take any prisoners when it came to dealing with any dressing room dissent.

LJ may well be be a chip off the old block who mimics his Dad's ways including criticising individual players, but in his case without having gained the necessary respect and man management skills to carry it off. 

GJ has had decades of managerial experience including several promotions, achievements he can point to to back up any strong words.

It's inevitable LJ will have studied and absorbed his father's methods throughout his own playing career and GJ will be his overwhelming influence.With that saturated upbringing in the professional game LJ may well have thought he knew it all when he came into management himself. All those family Sunday lunches talking football and his future management career may have left him seeing himself as almost the finished product, in many ways a manager in the image of his father but with fancy new coaching methods, formations and endless spiel to impress potential employers.

One area he apparently falls short in though is handling players and fostering team spirit, so when his charges become bemused by his selections, tactics, formations, public utterances etc. it's possible his default response may be to very quickly resort to chucking mini hand grenades, thereby spreading disenchantment and lethargy throughout areas of the squad.

A more worldly manager may have seen occasions when such actions were inappropriate or self defeating, and thus avoided apparently alienating numerous players, and contributing to landing us in the shambolic situation we find ourselves in today.

Some like to follow in their fathers' footsteps. In LJ's case perhaps he started to run before he could walk, and in doing so forgot that although there were many advantageous points to take from his Dad's management style, there were also other less favourable ones that might need to be discarded if he wanted to succeed in management at an early age.

That's my theory anyway.

We have a winner.

12 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Wilbs is towing the party line there IMO. It's his employer after all and I would guess that he's been briefed what to say.

It's the modern day spin machine at work, I reckon.

I happened to stay in the same hotel as city were in at Leeds away. Arrived mid afternoon on the day of the match and Wilbs was having a coffee with GON and Frankie. FF and GON kept themselves to themselves but Aaron was more than happy to have a chat. We chatted about Derby away and losing that 3 goal lead and the most genuine bloke you couldn't wish to meet. Totally honest about what he thought about the game and the tactics etc. No wonder he has a reputation as being a positive influence whether playing or not. 

Of course city are his employer but I don't think he would be as open as to have a chat to someone like me that just happened to walk in to where he was if he was trying to tow a party line. 

Try seeing things for what they are rather than getting yourself tied up in conspiracy theories.

I don't think it's a case of Wilbs towing the party line, he's just fulfilling his obligations, and he's hardly gonna rock the boat to the media, is he.  He's a professional.

Ive spoken to him a good few times too.  He's quite an open guy, but there is a line which he's not gonna cross....and to be fair most of us ain't gonna ask him a question that's gonna that gets near that line, or he's gonna close down.  

I don't think people on here are creating conspiracy theories, we just think it's a bit strange to keep hearing stories about how good the dressing room is....too. I hope info, that is unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, allyolly said:

I happened to stay in the same hotel as city were in at Leeds away. Arrived mid afternoon on the day of the match and Wilbs was having a coffee with GON and Frankie. FF and GON kept themselves to themselves but Aaron was more than happy to have a chat. We chatted about Derby away and losing that 3 goal lead and the most genuine bloke you couldn't wish to meet. Totally honest about what he thought about the game and the tactics etc. No wonder he has a reputation as being a positive influence whether playing or not. 

Of course city are his employer but I don't think he would be as open as to have a chat to someone like me that just happened to walk in to where he was if he was trying to tow a party line. 

Try seeing things for what they are rather than getting yourself tied up in conspiracy theories.

Fair comment Ally but you honestly think he meant what he was saying?

If you were being paid top dollar in whatever job you do, you would protect your employer. 

I have no axe to grind with Wilbs in any way, a top professional and he's been immense for us but he is one of few players that has the experience to be trusted in an interview, by his employer, to say the 'right' thing.

That is all I'm saying and in no way do I have an issue with Wilbs at all. No conspiracy theories in my post as I know bugger all. I'm just a City fan.

Archived