IGNORED

Worst thing about City buying abroad

Major Isewater

3 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Apart from hordur, and maybe Dujric to some degree, none of the foreign players brought in have improved us just filled out what was already a fairly average squad 

Heggler is an extremely good player and I currently have no idea why he joined us. He is literally being dragged down by the players hes surrounded with.

Well the foreign players all seem to be very tall, and we have needed to become a bigger team for a while.  Hopefully they will improve us when they have settled into the team and into their new home.  In patches, most of them have looked like good players - we just need to blend them in!

35 minutes ago, reddoh said:

major your title hookerd me you should have put "from" in the title.

Perhaps you should have started your sentence and my title with a capital letter, ' hooked ' not '  hookerd' and a pesky little apostrophe to separate ' me ' from ' you ' , whilst we're on the subject of grammar.

;)

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps you should have started your sentence and my title with a capital letter, ' hooked ' not '  hookerd' and a pesky little apostrophe to separate ' me ' from ' you ' , whilst we're on the subject of grammar.

;)

Sadly Major thought process 'City buying a broad' hookerd is not a word but was the closest to what I was meaning to point out. On the point of grammar, she like my granddad has sadly passed away 

30 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Apart from hordur, and maybe Dujric to some degree, none of the foreign players brought in have improved us just filled out what was already a fairly average squad 

Does this confirm Geert Mayer & Pertin Jaantunen have been City's best imports from outside the UK? I say UK as we've had some good Scottish, Welsh and Irish players at AG and if they had their way, those countries would be classified as "abroad".

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Does this confirm Geert Mayer & Pertin Jaantunen have been City's best imports from outside the UK? I say UK as we've had some good Scottish, Welsh and Irish players at AG and if they had their way, those countries would be classified as "abroad".

Even though we bought him from Scotland, I would say Jacki was pretty good as was Jan Moller plus I would put Ago as a class above along with Goater from Bermuda.

38 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Heggler is an extremely good player and I currently have no idea why he joined us. He is literally being dragged down by the players hes surrounded with.

Bet that he's probably thinking the same !!!

I do smile when posters  rave about a new signing , before seeing him play ,because

he's played for .....

Played in champions League ....

Swedish International ...

etc

Perhaps I'm a bit cynical but if it appears 'strange' that a player is coming who has a CV that doesn't match our current status I tend to have. A slight worry

'Why's he coming here then'

The explanations could be

* Believes in the project / club well sold to him (Positive reason)

* Money (Negative reason IMO)

*His career has hit a bump / slump and he's grateful for a move / hopes he can relaunch himself (Positive reason dependant on outcome)

*'Mainly for foreign players (And IMHO a likely attraction) hoping for a route (Via us rather than with us) into the ££££ Premier League (Has potential to be positive or negative dependent on outcome)

What if we signed an ex Arsenal First Teamer

Or an ex England Centre Forward

Two names

Gus Caesar

Michael Ricketts (I know we didn't sign him but you get my drift)

CVs can  be misleading

53 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Sadly Major thought process 'City buying a broad' hookerd is not a word but was the closest to what I was meaning to point out. On the point of grammar, she like my granddad has sadly passed away 

It's not a big deal . I gathered that you were jesting , hence the wink ! 

31 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Even though we bought him from Scotland, I would say Jacki was pretty good as was Jan Moller plus I would put Ago as a class above along with Goater from Bermuda.

Jacki took the piss out of this club and I am amazed that so many people consider him so highly .

A disruptive waster . 

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Jacki took the piss out of this club and I am amazed that so many people consider him so highly .

A disruptive waster . 

Not how I remember him Major but I was probably caught up in the romanticism of the time. Either that or I was pissed at most games! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What for you is the worst thing about City buying players from abroad ? 

For me it's the fact that our reputation is becoming more widespread.

Before we were an insignificant club in the English league now our dynamism will be talked about in Germany, France , Iceland etc .

:facepalm:

In the words of Status Quo, they'll be Mockin' All Over The World!

58 minutes ago, 22A said:

Ireland is already 'abroad' - who are the good Irish players we've had? Greg Cunningham? Brendan Moloney? Derek Williams (born in Germany?) Gary Keogh (born in Essex)? Andy Keogh? Callum O'Dowda? Alex Pearce (born in Oxfordshire)? Simon Cox (born in Reading)? Paul Heffernan?

Ah, there was Liam Munroe, he was born in Dublin and played one game for us in 1957...and Barry Corr from Co.Wicklow played three games for us in 2006...and Eamonn Dolan from Galway played three games for us in 1989...Andy Gara played a few matches for us in 1902/03...Sean McCarthy (not that one) played a few games in 1949....Stephen McLaughlin played five games in 2013...

Other than that I'm struggling...

Think the issue is getting adjusted to playing in the championship as well as a cultural change for them.

But this takes weeks and there's the issue they can't help the side immediately. 

Hegeler said he struggled with the idea of always having to be quick at moving the ball and attacking. He likes to slow the game down and go from there.

(Still rate him though) 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ireland is already 'abroad' - who are the good Irish players we've had? Greg Cunningham? Brendan Moloney? Derek Williams (born in Germany?) Gary Keogh (born in Essex)? Andy Keogh? Callum O'Dowda? Alex Pearce (born in Oxfordshire)? Simon Cox (born in Reading)? Paul Heffernan?

Ah, there was Liam Munroe, he was born in Dublin and played one game for us in 1957...and Barry Corr from Co.Wicklow played three games for us in 2006...and Eamonn Dolan from Galway played three games for us in 1989...Andy Gara played a few matches for us in 1902/03...Sean McCarthy (not that one) played a few games in 1949....Stephen McLaughlin played five games in 2013...

Other than that I'm struggling...

Anthony Rougier was Irish 

though his brother Tony was Trinidadian 

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Can't see what he offers us myself  poor mobility not dominant in challenging opposition, and quite happy to let them dictate play, the reason he join us was he was sat on the bench and in some weeks not even on it, so a fairly sensible move for him, I'm sure Wagner at Huddersfield who has signed some great talent from That league would of been keen for the price we got him for, but probably questioned his mobility in the centre of midfield in the championship which in my opinion he lacks, nothing against hegeler clearly a very technical player, but certainly not an improvement on what we already had and our results certainly haven't improved with him in the side . 

37 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anthony Rougier was Irish 

though his brother Tony was Trinidadian 

Was that North or south?

for the bonus point can you name brothers where one was born in any part of Ireland and the other(s) were born in Trinidad?

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ireland is already 'abroad' - who are the good Irish players we've had?

Dermot Curtiss who played inside forward at AG. In 57/58 England played the Irish Republic in the World Cup qualifying group. Curtiss played at Centre Forward for Ireland whilst Atyeo was his counterpart in the England team.

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Couldn't agree more.  He's three passes ahead of the rest of the team.  He'll be gone in the summer regardless of what division we are in. 

Archived