IGNORED

Is the keeper the problem?

Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I see criticism of Flint now and I think of criticism of Jamie McCombe 6 or so years ago.

Most weeks somebody would be posting on here about how limited he was, how he was the weak link in the side and how we'd be better off without him.

Eventually he was moved on, along with others of "limited ability", replaced by supposedly better players but who had not a fraction of his heart and desire.

Sometimes with something like that you don't realise what the player was doing until they're gone and then it's too late.

That's not to say they cannot and should not be replaced with technically better players, but that one has to be incredibly careful when doing so. We've already seen much of the spirit of the 14/15 squad drain away over the past 2 seasons. With Wilbraham ageing, Smith marginal this season, and Flint in the firing line, that spirited spine is almost gone. Those in charge at the club will need to think very carefully about the replacements.

i don't think many have been overly critical not like with Boom Boom, but the problem is we haven't seen if the same issues would happen without him in the side, and if he was to get dropped and we still made the same glaring mistakes that we make with him in the side then the doubts myself and some others have about him this season would quell,

the criticism of him has been extremely mild to say the least

I suspect LJ would be the first to agree the full back positions are a problem. It's easy in hindsight: I think most of us at the start of the season were fairly happy with the prospect of Matthews and Goulbourne in those positions.

I think the problem with Flint, as has been alluded to, is that he's great when the ball is coming straight at him, even more so if it's in the air, but his positional play, tracking back, staying the right side of his attacker when we're being attacked down the flanks, are all very suspect. And he does seem to play better in a back 3.

it was very evident (again) at Villa how often their defenders (and others) blocked our shots. And how infrequently we do the same. Just get a body in the way. We seem to give teams far too much space out wide, but also far too much time to get a shot in. Instead of throwing bodies in the way, we stand back and admire. I wonder if that's a confidence thing, it's evident in other areas too that players are almost wary of doing something wrong. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As regards to Aden Flint 

For me he is what he is an excellent head it / kick it / throw your body in / wholehearted defender guaranteed to give %100

What he's not is a Rio Ferdinand in terms of on the ball or as good positionally as a John Terry 

Has great value if used correctly IMO

if you (LJ) believe in him and what he brings then , for me he's  somebody you need to compliment with those alongside him

Put him with (decent and settled  )three others you see the best of Aden 

For me he needs pace alongside him and somebody experienced or at least a talker who 'runs' the back four and leaves Aden to concentrate on what he does well

My single criticism of him personally is he too often loses his attacker in the 18 yard box (The movement and punishment can be brutal at this level) and often finds himself having to throw his body at the ball/ attacker from 3-4 yards away, which is too far inside the penalty box

Hes not the most balanced / agile so is always likely to find good movement a headache but he can , and I am sure will, improve with experience and find a way to at least minimise this problem

I was at the 1988 European Championships to see a gangly awkward looking youngish England Centre Half made to look like a pub player , a complete donkey, by Marco Van Basten and a couple of Russians - Seriously made to look Non League - was painful and embarrassing to watch as some will remember

He learnt and as he got older got better and better (A la John Terry to a large degree) to become (IMHO) one of England's best centre halves as he proved in 96 and 98

Tony Adams

Exactly: expect Aiden Flint to be Aiden Flint.

Archived