IGNORED

Matt Hill

brady bunch

On the Carey thread there is talk of Matt Hill and the fact that he has also not yet resigned.

Most of the talk is based around his shocking distribution, I think nearly all of us agree he is a pretty decent defender and easily makes up for his lack of hieght by frequently out jumping much bigger players.

I got to thinking would we miss him if he went else where, I for one would want Hill to stay simply as a fast good defender, I excuse his poor distribution, which I am sure would improve if he simply looked up and opened his eyes before whacking the ball up field.

The one thing I hope I never see again is him wearing the captains armband, as he acts like an absolute pillock and the "power" seems to go to his head. I remember I think Tranmere away where he spent most of the match shouting at his team mates like a headless chicken.

I don't think its a case of love him or hate him. As a defender he is good at his job and such I would like to see him re-signed. We all know his distribution is woeful and during games it just seems a matter of time before his first slice into the Dolman or Williams comes along.

Despite his lack of passing ability as a centre half he can do a job and if, as expected we play a 3-5-2 formation next season he will be a key player for us.

I can only say what I said before. Very good at defending, woeful coming forward.

If Tins wants to play attractive football in a 3-5-2 formation, Matt Hill would be on my bench in favour of Butler, Coles and Fortune.

If we were seriously under pressure at the back or Tins wants to defend a lead, Hill would be my first choice sub.

So, in short, I don't want him to go, but will not give a monkey's if he did.

Players come and go. Not bothered who turns down a new contract if they feel they are better off elsewhere.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

He is fantastic in the air and pacey, but at the same time can't pass or look comfortable with the ball, and seems to spend alot of time arguing with his fellow players, especially when it's finger pointing time.

I wouldn't miss him in the slightest, another player that's been part of a underaceiving squad for too long.

too be honest I quite like the fact he doesn't try and do something with it in dangerous circumstances. I like the fact he just wacks it up the pitch to clear his lines. however when he gets the ball at the back with plenty of time is suggest that he does ashot pass to a fellow defender to pass it for him!!

Superb player and I'm sure he will sign loves the club soo much. (well seems that way) 100% effort every game guarenteed with him.

too be honest I quite like the fact he doesn't try and do something with it in dangerous circumstances. I like the fact he just wacks it up the pitch to clear his lines. however when he gets the ball at the back with plenty of time is suggest that he does  ashot pass to a fellow defender to pass it for him!!

Superb player and I'm sure he will sign loves the club soo much. (well seems that way) 100% effort every game guarenteed with him.

He will leave. Mark my words. A london club have approached him and he is talking to them.

I was a Hill hater at first but when he stopped kicking the ball at me in the Dolman I started to appreciate his abilities as well as his failings. He is a real trier and has a remarkable "jump" for his height as well has excellent pace and improving positional sense. However, I think that,like Coles, he is a central back line player who suffers if exposed down the line.

Hill will probably do a lot better in a back "three". He is definitely not a full back because his distribution, crossing ability and occasional shooting are not good enough to regularly play there. He was asked to play out of position like so many in the Wilson reign and did it without moaning and whingeing. He is a no nonsense central defender, not a wide player. I'm sure he will sign.

Guest bugs

can't really afford to lose both Carey and Hill, both featured consistently in the best defence in the division. Who have we got to replace them? Until now at least there hasn't been a defender on Tins shopping list. Who would we get?

Personally I think either or both not signing is a blow. Of course they have their faults (after all they play for us in the 2nd Div), if they were perfect then they would already be playing at a higher level.

Who have we got to replace them?  Until now at least there hasn't been a defender on Tins shopping list.  Who would we get?

Clayton Fortune is an excellent defender and will have about 6 inch height advantage on a majority of strikers. He has excellent quick feet and has that telescopic reach of a tall lad.

When you turn down £200k for a coca-cola league 1 player who has hardly featured it is surely only because you intend playing them.

Not sure if it will be Hill or Butler, but this season he WILL force somebody out the team.

If Hill went and Fortune plays regularly, I give it six months before it will be "Matty who?".

Guest monster red

Matty is quality! Gives 100% every time,good defender with pace which is ultimatly his main responsibilty as a defender!! So what if the guy cant spray 60 yard passes across the pitch as long as he keeps them out at the other end,thats alright by me.

:dunno:

I think letting matty hill go would be an incrdibly stupid mistake. none of our other defenders have the ability to organise the defnece like hill does, just look how disjointed they look when he is not there, even when shoved in a left back he was still the one organising the defence. he does spend a lot of time shouting at the other defenders, but that is his job, Butler can't do it, Coles certainly can't do it and it's the only thing missing from his game. Back three next season should be Hill, coles and Fortune, who are without doubt our 3 best defenders. And as a defender hill is better than every single defender we have. his positional sense is incredible, he rarely misses a challenge, and has to pace to beat most strikers in a flat out race.

To be honest, no offence to Matty, but I can't see any club wanted to buy him!!

Maybe a League Two club at most, I don't think he's very highly rated, to opposing teams he always used to be targeted as our weak link because of his constant mistakes at the back and awful passing.

But he has gradually improved (as you'd expect from a young player whose always in the side), there are some good points that make him a useful squad member, in a back three he is useful because he is left-footed and can play on the left side of the back three, also because he's very quick off the mark and a good runner. You need quickness and legs in my opinion if your playing a back three. Matty is a brave and powerful little lad, he outjumps much taller forwards but also makes vital blocks and interceptions around the box, he's a team player who can cover his fellow defenders. He isn't bad at dribbling forward with the ball, but then again he isn't particularly comfortable doing so!

As with all players, he has his bad and good points, but I definately want him to stay, he is useful to have in your squad - speed, strength, guts, left-footed, etc. With Carey and Fortune supposedly leaving, the chap has to sign, because who else is going to want him?

Archived