IGNORED

Wake up, get real and realise who and what you support.

So either the OTIB fans on here are either so old that they've lost their memory or just too young to know any better.

To the spleen venters who say : "what are you doing to my great club? blah blah blah" ...... I say read on-

To those "I've lost my my respect for Lansdown/Lansdown out", read on-

To the posters in the current comedy thread that is "Lasting damage", this might help. 

Where on earth have you lot been hiding for the 17years since we entered the new millennium in 2000??

A BRIEF RECAP

Since the 1999- 2000 season we have had 18 Managers. ( all of them sacked bar Pulis & Coppell)

We have been relegated three times

We have been promoted twice

We have reached the play offs 3 times and lost ( twice in the final)

We have been in a relegation dog fight in virtually every single season that we aren't in a playoff/promotion fight. Five notable relegation fights

We've also signed a couple of hundred players.

We have never been in the Premiership or L3 during this time.

So in 17 seasons we've been either fighting relegation, being relegated, fighting for promotion or being promoted  THIRTEEN TIMES out of SEVENTEEN YEARS

And during this time we've also had a variety of different owner consortiums( Laycock, Davidson, Lansdown and another bloke) , Directors and Chairman.

So our rise and fall and fall and rise and fall again is NOT solely due to the Chairman or owner or Manager or players : It's in our DNA! (how ironic is that??!!!!!!!)

See you tomorrow night guys.  

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So either the OTIB fans on here are either so old that they've lost their memory or just too young to know any better.

To the spleen venters who say : "what are you doing to my great club? blah blah blah" ...... I say read on-

To the posters in the current comedy thread that is "Lasting damage", this might help. 

Where on earth have you lot been hiding for the 17years since we entered the new millennium in 2000??

A BRIEF RECAP

Since the 1999- 2000 season we have had 18 Managers. ( all of them sacked bar Pulis & Coppell)

We have been in a relegation dog fight in virtually every single season that we aren't in a playoff/promotion fight. Five notable relegation fights

So in 17 seasons we've been either fighting relegation, being relegated, fighting for promotion or being promoted  THIRTEEN TIMES out of SEVENTEEN YEARS

And during this time we've also had a variety of different owner consortiums( Laycock, Davidson, Lansdown and another bloke) , Directors and Chairman.

So our rise and fall and fall and rise and fall again is NOT solely due to the Chairman or owner or Manager or players : It's in our DNA! (how ironic is that??!!!!!!!)

And with a little bit of work it wouldn't have to be. We can be better than a league 1 yo yo team if a little bit of nous was applied.  But it seems some people are just happy to continue wallowing in mediocrity obviously forever.  Shame. 

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A BRIEF RECAP

Sadly in my lifetime I have seen City go down more times than my wife.

This is what is wrong just being told to accept it!

Fight to be better, try prove people wrong not just in the local area but all over the country. Fight to demand and want more from the City.

How painful it is for me to see Brighton flying high when I live 10 miles from there and a lot of my mates support them. Why can't we fight for that?

Rather then go ahh well! 

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I am pretty sure that Bristol City's results are not hereditary.

I will go as far to say your post read like, sounded like and in all honesty was bollocks.

I will say that we could be heading back to where we were when Lansdown got involved- does suggest a recurring theme.

Indeed, it suggests something that goes beyond individuals is deeply flawed at the club- and I don't know what. We should be capable of Championship consolidation and then building from there- especially with the infrastructure now in place, the 11th highest attendance in the Championship etc.

Well, I've read some strange stuff on this forum over the last few weeks but MRR gets first prize for trying to explain the unexplainable (defend the indefensible)!

I've been watching/supporting City for 50+ years and I can't recall a season that started with such promise but ended in such disarray, given the overall situation at the club.

Please tell me MRR when the set-up at BCFC was ever better than today (eg stadium, structured management team, potential support levels) and when any previous City manager/head coach had the same sort of resources made available to them that Lee has had.

We're looking at a shambolic fiasco caused by the Board of Directors appointing a head coach who did not have the level of maturity, experience or man-management skills needed to take-on the role (but, he was a friend and, probably, relatively cheap!).

Why Lee is still our head coach is incomprehensible to me but you obviously see something in him that has passed me by.

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A BRIEF RECAP

But now we have a modern infrastructure , new facilities and a shiny new stadium which means that , finally, we can compete with the other clubs at this level .

We have everything in place to succeed and yet ...

Perhaps its worth looking at these stats and thinking about why the club is like this. For me there are common themes:

1. Poor managerial appointments is a consistent theme - only Ward, Wilson, Gary Johnson and Cotterill you would say were successes in our most recent history. It is also worth nothing how each of them was sacked - loss of favour with SL (with the exception here of Ward). SL has a terrible record of managerial appointments and has often handed the reigns to inexperienced coaches or former players (McInnes, Tinnion, Millen, Lee Johnson). This is also very much part of the pre-SL era as well with some very dodgy appointments. The point is - why are we continually appointing inexperienced people.  

2. No coherent club strategy in terms of what type of club we want to be and where we want to be. Talk of the PL is cheap and not reflected in the decisions which have been made. We have had more pillars than Rome. 

3. Bristol City has an owner who is a billionaire. Why should he or we accept a club that continues to stall and limp on. Thus, I would conclude that there is something very wrong at the heart of the club. Smaller clubs than BCFC have made the PL with less resources than us.  

Fan expectation is being raised with talk of PL and Europa League coming from those above. SL himself said that he expected a PL push in two years of promotion. Thus, clearly, either we are all deluded or we are being fed a line by those in charge. Personally, think we are being led up the garden path....

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

And despite all that, this is probably the most bemusing situation of them all.

Not really sure what your point is @Marina's Rolls Royce. Most clubs would have a similar record or promotions, relegations and managers over the same period. It doesn't make this situation any less bizarre or acceptable.

There is no particular point CR! We are who we are and we are where we are. If anyone has the answer to our club's long and historic problems dating back to 1980 then please let us know. If anyone's got more cash and better ideas than the current owners- step forward now!  If our current plight is a new experience for some fans on here - then welcome to BCFC.

1 minute ago, Bob Thompson said:

SL tries something new and the first time a young coach runs into trouble the knives are out. It takes a true supporter to stick with it.Support them until your Dead boys!........and girls! It's not sometimes believe!

Dear ******* god. WAKE UP.

4 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Perhaps its worth looking at these stats and thinking about why the club is like this. For me there are common themes:

1. Poor managerial appointments is a consistent theme - only Ward, Wilson, Gary Johnson and Cotterill you would say were successes in our most recent history. It is also worth nothing how each of them was sacked - loss of favour with SL (with the exception here of Ward). SL has a terrible record of managerial appointments and has often handed the reigns to inexperienced coaches or former players (McInnes, Tinnion, Millen, Lee Johnson). This is also very much part of the pre-SL era as well with some very dodgy appointments. The point is - why are we continually appointing inexperienced people.  

2. No coherent club strategy in terms of what type of club we want to be and where we want to be. Talk of the PL is cheap and not reflected in the decisions which have been made. We have had more pillars than Rome. 

3. Bristol City has an owner who is a billionaire. Why should he or we accept a club that continues to stall and limp on. Thus, I would conclude that there is something very wrong at the heart of the club. Smaller clubs than BCFC have made the PL with less resources than us.  

Fan expectation is being raised with talk of PL and Europa League coming from those above. SL himself said that he expected a PL push in two years of promotion. Thus, clearly, either we are all deluded or we are being fed a line by those in charge. Personally, think we are being led up the garden path....

Agree a lot with this. Especially 3, but all those points I agree with a lot.

Though I would say an experienced manager is no guarantee, no guarantee at all.

Has been for years tbh I feel- I remember us being tipped back in 1998 when we came up from League One, a book I had by someone who did the 92 said on his review at Ashton Gate 'Bristol City surely destined for bigger and brighter things under Davidson' or words to that effect. It was inevitable...

Wasn't it?

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A BRIEF RECAP

We need a DNA transplant

30 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A BRIEF RECAP

You are a Happy Clapper.

9/10 clubs would have sacked this manager well before now.

I don't see what is so good about avoidable relegation. Please explain?

He has brought in 19 new players, and spent pretty big, and the result is accelerating us towards league 1.

....... all out of some weird 'loyalty' to Lee Johnson, an un-loved ex midfielder.

Not the way to run a club ........ IF you want success by any normal measure.

tfj  :protest:

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree a lot with this. Especially 3, but all those points I agree with a lot.

Though I would say an experienced manager is no guarantee, no guarantee at all.

Indeed, agreed. But out of our roll call of mangers it is interesting to see that those who have done well have some pedigree. The only one who did not quite do it was Danny Wilson. Coppell is another but clearly he saw something behind the scenes and freaked out. 

3 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Indeed, agreed. But out of our roll call of mangers it is interesting to see that those who have done well have some pedigree. The only one who did not quite do it was Danny Wilson. Coppell is another but clearly he saw something behind the scenes and freaked out. 

Yep, agreed with that gotta say.

Do wonder what it is though, are City jinxed? Is the club a happy place to be.

1 minute ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

You are a Happy Clapper.

9/10 clubs would have sacked this manager well before now.

I don't see what is so good about avoidable relegation. Please explain?

He has brought in 19 new players, and spent pretty big, and the result is accelerating us towards league 1.

....... all out of some weird 'loyalty' to Lee Johnson, an un-loved ex midfielder.

Not the way to run a club ........ IF you want success by any normal measure.

tfj  :protest:

Ahh- TFR

Unlike you to go off topic , try and make my post into a - "you just support LJ /happy clapper" 

Your 'populist' comments are at odds with what the OP suggests.

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A BRIEF RECAP

Yeah being substantially more shite than BCFC was in Swansea's DNA.. and Bournemouth's...need I go on?

Just because our history shows we are f ucking rubbish in the main it doesn't mean it always has to be that way.

When a billionaire self professed fan gets involved and makes public statements of where he wants us to be he is believed, DNA or not.

When those statements are shown to be dogshit it tends to make people question the owner and frankly the record of the current head coach needs no further comment.

As for the players, arguably the best squad on paper since the late 1970's

Archived