IGNORED

What would a win mean...?

JakeOTIB

It seems so unlikely that I haven't even contemplated that scenario... I guess it would depend on the performance. A scrappy fortunate 1-0 with no real signs of improvement and nothing would change. A decent display might calm things down for a while but given we havent had one in months, I dont see the point in really considering it a possibility.

I think we've actually gone past the point where a win will make much difference now. The damage within the fanbase seems deeper and the damage will run for longer than 3 points will fix.

beat

biːt/
verb
  1. 1.
    strike (a person or an animal) repeatedly and violently so as to hurt or injure them, typically with an implement such as a club or whip.
    "aristocratic women were often beaten by their husbands"
    synonyms: hit, strike, batter, thump, hammer, punch, knock, thrash, pound, pummel, slap, smack, crack, thwack, cuff, buffet, maul, pelt, drub, rain blows on; More

2. 2.
    defeat (someone) in a game or other competitive situation.
    "she beat him easily at chess"
    synonyms: defeat, conquer, win against, get the better of, vanquish, trounce, rout, overpower, overcome, overwhelm, overthrow, subdue, quash, crush;

(For anyone else confused by the phrase "beat Norwich" in the OP; it's the second usage to which they are referring (I hope)).

If Wolves, Blackburn, Burton and Wigan lose, three points would be massive - if they all or some win/draw, all it would do is keep us in touch.

The issue now is we have surrendered any advantages we might have had over the teams at the bottom (games in hand, goal difference etc.), so much so we're in are (rightfully, based in performances) part of the bottom three.

Regardless of who is in the hot seat, I want us to win tonight - relegation would be disastrous.

Like LJ himself said in his presser this week; "It's about results" - not performances, not 'fine lines', but the numbers on the board.

We need some, immediately. 

Is it too much to hope for a win and Johnson Out ? 

That would make a fantastic night .

Regardless of who is in charge I desperately want us to stay up and a win would move us closer to that objective.

We all know that in Football anything can happen . Norwich have a weak link in their armour and a top , forward thinking young coach will surely have noted it and will send out a well drilled and well prepared  team who can win the match , if not it will still be LJ in charge and we will send out a team of confused, hesitant strangers wearing the red of Bristol City .

53 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think we've actually gone past the point where a win will make much difference now. The damage within the fanbase seems deeper and the damage will run for longer than 3 points will fix.

Agree we are broken

42 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It would mean 3 points closer to safety.

I've accepted Lee Johnson is totally untouchable at the moment so we just need wins.

We just need to hope we scrape safety somehow.

Though I think we are doomed.

I think we all need to come to terms with this. LJ is staying for the year at least and we will likely be relegated. I hope we aren't relegated so 3 points tonight would be massive obviously. It means nothing for LJs job though. He's got the season at least

Tonight is a weird one for me. Norwich have been struggling, got whacked Saturday and players are saying other don't respect the team and management. If any top team is beatable it is them. However, they seem likely candidates to turn it around at some point and we are likely opponents to start that. I'm hoping they've given up on playoffs and they put in a stale performance but don't think we are late enough in the season for that. 

I posted elsewhere that I thought that if Johnson and the board did have talks after the Fulham game and a target was set then 1 point from the 2 away games and 4 from the 2 home games would be a reasonable one. The expectation would likely have been a point at Villa, not Newcastle, and 3 points from Burton, not Norwich, but it doesn't matter what way around it is. If we win against Norwich then the target is achieved and 5 points from 4 games would be a sufficient rate to achieve safety if continued to the end of the season.

Archived