IGNORED

Could SL allow the Gas to play at AG?

BigAl&Toby

7 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

What part of a team losing money hand over fist for nearly two decades under his tenure, and an eight-figure investment in its new stadium do you expect him to recoup in the near future? Or what secret bounty are Bristol Flyers sitting on that you can reveal to us?

I didn't say near future though did I. I'm sure he sees it as a long term investment - bit like shares.

Over time what he's invested will be insignificant when compared with the value of the land he's acquired.

Why else would he do it? For the love of the club he's followed man and boy? 

Bollocks.

19 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I didn't say near future though did I. I'm sure he sees it as a long term investment - bit like shares.

Over time what he's invested will be insignificant when compared with the value of the land he's acquired.

Why else would he do it? For the love of the club he's followed man and boy? 

Bollocks.

Again, a hell of an investment considering the money he has put into the stadium redevelopment, and the failed Ashton Vale project, over the past 10 years. I will call you a boring old cynic and leave it there.

The Bristol Sport thing is quite simply a billionaire's vanity project with AG, BCFC and Bristol Rugby being the headliners. Realistically, SL needs premiership football to ever hope to recoup his investment.

Personally, I don't think money is the driver here, he had a vision of leaving behind a world class stadium and a dynasty of sporting excellence that yes, Bristol could be proud of.

Understandably, he chose BCFC, the Bristol based club with "greater potential". But, it shouldn't be forgotten that he's already turned his coat once before. BS and SL probably don't care if the stadium is filled with die hard, life long fans or day trippers or indeed, whether the seats are red or blue.

From a wider business perspective, the OP isn't completely ridiculous. 

9 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

The only one owing anyone an apology is Lansdown.

If you believe he's a fan then you're deluded. His prime interest is his investment - hence backing whatever he's invested by taking control of AG and other land assets in the area.

Check out the balance sheets and overall beneficial owner.

By the way. Was he there tonight?

I know how much it costs to sponsor the Lansdown stand and I can promise you he will not make a return anytime soon based on those figures.

Check the balance sheets and see how much Lansdown has wrote off. If he wanted the money (which we know it is impossible to make in football) then he'd of sold by now. 

£12 mil a year losses every year shows Lansdown isn't here for investment.

I don't know if Lansdown was there but I have seen him at most matches, a long old commute from Guernsey. Can you say the same about most other owners? No.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I know how much it costs to sponsor the Lansdown stand and I can promise you he will not make a return anytime soon based on those figures.

Check the balance sheets and see how much Lansdown has wrote off. If he wanted the money (which we know it is impossible to make in football) then he'd of sold by now. 

£12 mil a year losses every year shows Lansdown isn't here for investment.

I don't know if Lansdown was there but I have seen him at most matches, a long old commute from Guernsey. Can you say the same about most other owners? No.

You're absolutely right. A nice loss means a tax deductible expense.

**** me. The bloke isn't here as a supporter like you and I. He's here for other reasons be they financial or vanity.

Has he been kettled at Swansea? Did he enjoy the Murray show at Cardiff and endure pies and piss from the Bluebirds? Was he screaming at Bodenham to blow the ******* whistle at Anfield? Has he ever stood in the rain at Stockport or Swindon?

Has he bollocks. He's no more a fan than I'm a millionaire. His ability to fly in and fly out is determined more by the number of hours he can spend in the UK rather than by his love for the club.

I hate what he has done to the club that I've supported through thick and thin all my life, as much as I hate what Murdoch, Sky and other investors have done to football in general.

But hey if you and others like you are happy to watch piss poor football week in week out then carry on. As long as - at least for now - you have a nice stadium to watch it in.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

**** me. The bloke isn't here as a supporter like you and I. He's here for other reasons be they financial or vanity.

Has he been kettled at Swansea? Did he enjoy the Murray show at Cardiff and endure pies and piss from the Bluebirds? Was he screaming at Bodenham to blow the ******* whistle at Anfield? Has he ever stood in the rain at Stockport or Swindon?

Has he bollocks. He's no more a fan than I'm a millionaire. His ability to fly in and fly out is determined more by the number of hours he can spend in the UK rather than by his love for the club.

I hate what he has done to the club that I've supported through thick and thin all my life, as much as I hate what Murdoch, Sky and other investors have done to football in general.

But hey if you and others like you are happy to watch piss poor football week in week out then carry on. As long as - at least for now - you have a nice stadium to watch it in.

And this point sums it up. He only is allowed to be in the UK so many days a year, and chooses those days to support the City. That is a true fan.

The club has come on leaps and bounds, yes our performances are poor but look at Leyton Orient, Blackpool and Coventry. Then you'll realise SL isn't a bad guy. 

16 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Suppose the unthinkable happens. We go down and languish and our delightful neighbours go up and prosper.

With that BCFC attendances drop. BRFC's go up.

What a dilemma for the Bristol Sport backer then. Does he back the club he says he supports or set us adrift?

He sees many more fans support the Rovers. He needs to keep the cash cow ruminating to maximise his return.

He thinks **** it. Get the Robin out and the Pirate in. Goodnight Irene indeed.....

Serious point though, as what I'd assume are now tenants of AG, what guarantees do we have that it'll remain our home?

Anyone know?

Your conspiracy theory falls down when you wrote:"He sees many more fans support the Rovers."

13 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Wahay.

Back to my original point. If BS get tired of BCFC or if Lansdown sees another as generating more income from AG - he wants to "sweat his asset" - what security does BCFC have?

Look at it like this. Rovers get better gates. Billy Graham wants a block booking. The Rolling Stones want to play week in week out......

Where does that leave the FOOTBALL club he supports so much?

welcome too the arsehole club come and meet the rest of us.

How many of the people claiming he is no fan have ever met the guy?

It's true that he didn't grow up a City fan, and his involvement only began because his son Jon was. But since becoming involved he has very much become a fan as well as the owner.

he is also a football/sport fan in general, travelling to pretty much every England match as a regular fan as well as attending sporting events around the world (which I would do if I had the money).

He is dragging the club into the 21st Century to try and compete in the modern football world and success will follow at some point, even if it doesn't much look like it now. I presume that his view is Bristol Sport is the best vehicle to enable that to happen and I think the idea has merit and is worth trying, even if you don't entirely agree.

The recent marketing of Bristol Sport and Bristol City has made the club more visible than ever around the community, evidenced by the number of kids you see wearing our shirts nowadays. Certainly in Weston they outnumber every other English club these days, with the only possible competition coming from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Having said all that, Johnson out (until a sudden unexpected surge of form changes my mind)

Highly unlikely but if they offered a fair rent then his business acumen says he could. Ground sharing is allowed and the Horse Punching Arena will need more and more spent in it each year to keep it up to League or Conference standard.

The terrace dwelling Neanderthals wouldn't know what to do though.

20 hours ago, Selred said:

And this point sums it up. He only is allowed to be in the UK so many days a year, and chooses those days to support the City. That is a true fan.

The club has come on leaps and bounds, yes our performances are poor but look at Leyton Orient, Blackpool and Coventry. Then you'll realise SL isn't a bad guy. 

Come on.  He chooses to live in Guernsey. No one makes him. He lives there to dodge paying taxes here. In my book that is immoral

31 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Come on.  He chooses to live in Guernsey. No one makes him. He lives there to dodge paying taxes here. In my book that is immoral

surely he can live where he wants and will pay/not pay taxes dependant on if he meets x criteria.

If I had SL's money I would probably move somewhere nice and warm rather than Guernsey. Would that mean I was dodging UK Taxes?

32 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I'm no accountant, but pouring money down the BCFC drain is probably cheaper than handing it to HMRC!

38 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

That has no relevance to the fact that the days he does return are when he watches City.

And it has no relevance to my mentions of clubs which have literally been ripped apart.

But hey ho, rather than debate by all means just slag SL off instead. Talk about a vendetta.....

1 hour ago, Hello said:

surely he can live where he wants and will pay/not pay taxes dependant on if he meets x criteria.

If I had SL's money I would probably move somewhere nice and warm rather than Guernsey. Would that mean I was dodging UK Taxes?

Yes

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Not a vendetta. Just an opinion on the facts available

Reason for strong opinion is I believe BS is a very dangerous model long term for City

It is an illogical argument to say that the alternative to SL is a Tan figure

His tax has nothing to do with his support of Bristol City. That has nothing to do with facts. 

7 hours ago, Selred said:

His tax has nothing to do with his support of Bristol City. That has nothing to do with facts. 

No viennetta from me either.

My OP was perhaps tongue in cheek. The point I wanted to make was that I genuinely believe SL thinks he has BCFCs interests at hear.

But he also has an eye on what it means for him. He's not pissing his money away. He's got some security. That worries me. If - and it might be a big or improbable if - he finds something that can fill AG or provide a better income then he'd take it.

I don't buy that bollocks about him being a fan or that when he uses up his UK days he comes to watch the football makes him a fan. Where was in when the times were tougher than they might seem now?

Not stood amongst us that's for sure. Like many other businessmen from the Great Mills (remember that?!) to Galacticos in Europe he's come along waving his cheque book and bought us.

As I've said before that's not my idea of a fan, and I despise everything about the approach and mentality.

On 08/03/2017 at 09:32, BigAlToby&Liam said:

On 08/03/2017 at 11:09, Selred said:

10 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

10 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm no accountant, but pouring money down the BCFC drain is probably cheaper than handing it to HMRC!

Isn't it great that the forum of a largely unsuccesful football club has so many international tax experts posting?

On 07/03/2017 at 20:52, BigAlToby&Liam said:

All Lansdown wants is a return on his investment, the grateful thanks of the masses and a knighthood. In that order.

I don't think he gives a flying **** about BCFC. If he did we wouldn't be in this bloody mess.

If a billionaire walked into Hargreaves Lansdown looking for investment advice and they suggested doing what SL has done they would be up before the FCA pretty sharpish.

Get real.

19 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

If a billionaire walked into Hargreaves Lansdown looking for investment advice and they suggested doing what SL has done they would be up before the FCA pretty sharpish.

Get real.

Not certain the FCA has any controls in this instance. Fool and his money is probably more relevant.

Why do you think SL is splashing the cash? Goodness of his heart?

On 07/03/2017 at 22:20, BigAlToby&Liam said:

The only one owing anyone an apology is Lansdown.

If you believe he's a fan then you're deluded. His prime interest is his investment - hence backing whatever he's invested by taking control of AG and other land assets in the area.

Check out the balance sheets and overall beneficial owner.

By the way. Was he there tonight?

ashton gate holdings ltd owns ashton gate, and I think it may of owned ashton gate before lansdown was chairman

Archived