IGNORED

Our support - apathy is killing us slowly

redordead1

1 hour ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

I couldn't agree more  in the 30 odd years I have been going I have never seen an Ashton gate crowd so laid back about our plight 10 years ago we would of made it unbearable for him to continue.  Now we are sleep walking to league one when we all wake up 

I remember a game in 2005- a few weeks before the Swansea debacle.

Was against MK Dons when Wilson returned- now he got a good reception- but one thing that sticks with me from that day was Tinman being booed onto the pitch as the teams came out by a large number of fans.

Nothning like that now, nothing at all- and this was only a handful of games into the season!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember a game in 2005- a few weeks before the Swansea debacle.

Was against MK Dons when Wilson returned- now he got a good reception- but one thing that sticks with me from that day was Tinman being booed onto the pitch as the teams came out by a large number of fans.

Nothning like that now, nothing at all- and this was only a handful of games into the season!

And the tin man was a great player for us and we still turned on him and  rightly so in my opinion he was well out of his depth  . Lee Johnson on the other hand awful player who only got in the team because of his dad have the crowd turned on him no apart from small sections of the ground why why why not everyone .we are God awful if your going to play 1 up front don't play a 37 year old 4 games in a row no pace 

A couple of friends who are st holders I know for a fact would be still sat there staring into space with us bottom of league one and Lee still in charge.

They would still be there if we were named Bristol Sport Fc..

Please,don't make me laugh by claiming "true fans".ask them an opinion on our current plight,and....near silence.

They do not know what else to do on a matchday,to the degree I can't even label 'blind loyalty'.

Straw in the stands???.....

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't know what it is. Perhaps it's the fact that we are just recently losing a bit of faith in Steve Lansdown, a man who has put a huge amount of time and money into the club and so has commanded respect for that alone. He has asked us to trust him in the past and judge him on his decisions, decisions that haven't panned out well. Maybe this has now happened once too often, people have lost that trust, but at the same time don't want to turn on him either. 

We all want it to work, and by work I mean Championship survival, anything else is just too sickening to think about. But over the games we've played during the season have we deserved it, no. At this time we are rightfully where we are. Except for Tammy maybe, and Korey, we can't even say we floundered because we've had key players out with injuries all season. We have purchased players we don't play, or play so irregularly and randomly they don't know where they are.  Our settled, hardworking, winning squad has been so chopped up its unrecognisable when all it needed was a bit of strengthening.

The sad thing is that all this has been done by what was sold to us as an innovative young manager who had all the badges, and allowed to happen by people who should have known better.

It's  not a mess of the fans making so I won't be blamed for any of it, nor will I blindly renew my Season Ticket. But as for protesting, there's little point. It's clear there will be no further changes no matter what happens, just a mass exedus of our better players leaving if we are relegated, players I should have enjoyed watching as we won't see players like them again for a while.

Totally agree with you except I will still renew my season ticket (Lansdown if your reading I'm not endorsing little lee) it gets me out the house. But i understand and don't judge anyone who decides not to attend anymore no one in their right mind would if they have been watching this season

4 minutes ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

And the tin man was a great player for us and we still turned on him and  rightly so in my opinion he was well out of his depth  . Lee Johnson on the other hand awful player who only got in the team because of his dad have the crowd turned on him no apart from small sections of the ground why why why not everyone .we are God awful if your going to play 1 up front don't play a 37 year old 4 games in a row no pace 

Agreed. Was sad the way it ended with Tinman but ultimately he was not up to the job.

Didn't think LJ was such a terrible player but I see that point for sure- certainly he got promoted above his capabilities in 09-10 when we signed Sno and played him out wide for example.

37 year old as lone striker for a 4th game in 11 days is a nonsense decision. What was Johnson thinking? Djuric as lone striker or Djuric and Taylor as a pair would have been the way to go. His consistent aversion to playing Hordur too (I know he played Saturday but that was an exception not a rule since the turn of the year) isn't something I understand.

On this note.

I was gonna take a couple of mates to Bristol, planning even a month ago- weekend in Bristol and do the Heineken Lounge at AG for a game- try it out as something new. Been dabbling with this for ages.

Not now I'm not- wouldn't be fair to inflict this football on them, or myself for that matter. Comfort yes but not enough to justify.

9 hours ago, Swede said:

I think as fans we're all just resigned to the fact Junior will still be in charge no matter what goes on.

As incredulous as it may seem his position has been strengthened enormously with Pembo going & to be replaced by a highly experienced coach and former team mate in Jamie Mac.

It kind of reminds me of Phil Neal's input with Graham "thank you linesman, you've just got me the sack" Taylor.

So, one assumes, and of course it's obvious, that the coaching is going to improve still further with this masterly tweak to the backroom staff.

You're spot on.  People don't see that much can be done as the rich man who owns the club and makes the decisions is not removing the source of the problem.  Added to that, we are an apathetic lot.

If we want to protest it has to be done in such a way as to get noticed.  @Orbital has told me about protests by Rayo Vallecano fans.  They don't take any shit.  If you want to protest you have to become militant and organised and that isn't going to happen via a forum.

Anyone who thinks that by airing your views online you will effect change is deluding themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Was sad the way it ended with Tinman but ultimately he was not up to the job.

Didn't think LJ was such a terrible player but I see that point for sure- certainly he got promoted above his capabilities in 09-10 when we signed Sno and played him out wide for example.

37 year old as lone striker for a 4th game in 11 days is a nonsense decision. What was Johnson thinking? Djuric as lone striker or Djuric and Taylor as a pair would have been the way to go. His consistent aversion to playing Hordur too (I know he played Saturday but that was an exception not a rule since the turn of the year) isn't something I understand.

I would like to see djuric/tammy up front with taylor on Saturday I was going to go but I really don't think I can put up with the drive home after this week all my optimism is gone I'm one of those fans that on match day in i can't see anything than a city win no matter what the opposition 30 years of going 30 years of thinking like that we'll not anymore not I think we are going to lose and I hate myself for thinking it thanks Lee thanks very fxxxxxg much

25 minutes ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

Tinnion was failing in a league below though, missed out on playoffs and then getting thumped the following season. If LJ had us lingering at the bottom of L1 then there would be more public outcry I think

Lets face it, we are a Championship / League 1 yo-yo club. A lot of realistic fans expect us to be at the bottom end of the Championship. on size, history and money (earned rather than pumped in by owner) we are around the area we should be. To go down would be a failure, however if we dropped below League 1 it would be a complete disaster.

I am 100% in the Johnson out camp, but I can see why he isnt getting the same stick Tinnion did despite their playing careers (which i dont think comes into it, it just meant LJ was given even less time by some)

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Tinnion was failing in a league below though, missed out on playoffs and then getting thumped the following season. If LJ had us lingering at the bottom of L1 then there would be more public outcry I think

Lets face it, we are a Championship / League 1 yo-yo club. A lot of realistic fans expect us to be at the bottom end of the Championship. on size, history and money (earned rather than pumped in by owner) we are around the area we should be. To go down would be a failure, however if we dropped below League 1 it would be a complete disaster.

I am 100% in the Johnson out camp, but I can see why he isnt getting the same stick Tinnion did despite their playing careers (which i dont think comes into it, it just meant LJ was given even less time by some)

No slipping into league 1 now would be a disaster back I'm not sure of or wage bill but I suspect we may be hit by the financial fair play rules next season I don't know for sure it's just an opinion maybe someone else could shed some light on it.  As for your comment about the players career tin man gave me my favourite memory ever the night we beat Liverpool and I felt sorry for him being booed I certainly have no sympathy for Johnson 

30 minutes ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

No slipping into league 1 now would be a disaster back I'm not sure of or wage bill but I suspect we may be hit by the financial fair play rules next season I don't know for sure it's just an opinion maybe someone else could shed some light on it.  As for your comment about the players career tin man gave me my favourite memory ever the night we beat Liverpool and I felt sorry for him being booed I certainly have no sympathy for Johnson 

I would expect a large number of players to leave though. Cant see Tomlin, GON, Cotterill, Golbourne (maybe), Engvall, Fielding to name a few still being here next season so probably end up with a threadbare squad again.

I agree with the sentiment for Tinnion and I was gutted it didnt work out for him, but at the time there was no place for that sentiment when we were sliding towards a relegation battle

1 hour ago, Ireneisagavsgod said:

Totally agree with you except I will still renew my season ticket (Lansdown if your reading I'm not endorsing little lee) it gets me out the house. But i understand and don't judge anyone who decides not to attend anymore no one in their right mind would if they have been watching this season

I didn't say I wouldn't renew, just that I wouldn't do it without consideration and the club shouldn't assume people will. I've said before I want to be wooed back, persuaded, made to feel like I am valued. There is no guarantee what sort of a season you get when you commit, I understand that, it's football after all.

I didnt expect or want playoffs, it's too soon. But it's too soon to be chucking it all in and embracing relegation like we appear to be doing so too. We've made it difficult for ourselves and are suffering for that now. I was hoping for a mid table spot, not having a playoff scramble or a relegation dogfight. I just wanted to be stable and improve next year when all our new signings had bedded in a bit and take some confidence from this season. Instead we are no where near fielding a settled team, many of the new signings don't even make the bench and we look shell shocked, players and fans. We are all looking for a leader on the pitch, but we should also be looking for leadership off the pitch too in the manager and from the chairman/owner.

There will be an uproar if the club announce any increase in ST prices if we do stay in the Championship or fail to announce a decent reduction if we are relegated. I know we don't have to buy merchandise etc but if the club go and add a fiver onto a shirt and 50p on drinks etc that will be an insult too. They got to think long and hard, as that's what the fans will be doing.

11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I would expect a large number of players to leave though. Cant see Tomlin, GON, Cotterill, Golbourne (maybe), Engvall, Fielding to name a few still being here next season so probably end up with a threadbare squad again.

I agree with the sentiment for Tinnion and I was gutted it didnt work out for him, but at the time there was no place for that sentiment when we were sliding towards a relegation battle

I honestly don't think Tinnion ever wanted to be manager, someone convinced him he could do it and he was probably in too deep to say no. He hasn't gone back into management again has he, not full club management. He had some time in Spain and has come back, to us, and has found what he wants to do and what he is able to do. 

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

I honestly don't think Tinnion ever wanted to be manager, someone convinced him he could do it and he was probably in too deep to say no. He hasn't gone back into management again has he, not full club management. He had some time in Spain and has come back, to us, and has found what he wants to do and what he is able to do. 

Agree with this too. Seems likely

He seems to much prefer the youth coaching and development and seems to be going well for him. He's regularly at local non-league games scouting and involved with a lot of the clubs in the surrounding areas.

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

I didn't say I wouldn't renew, just that I wouldn't do it without consideration and the club shouldn't assume people will. I've said before I want to be wooed back, persuaded, made to feel like I am valued. There is no guarantee what sort of a season you get when you commit, I understand that, it's football after all.

I didnt expect or want playoffs, it's too soon. But it's too soon to be chucking it all in and embracing relegation like we appear to be doing so too. We've made it difficult for ourselves and are suffering for that now. I was hoping for a mid table spot, not having a playoff scramble or a relegation dogfight. I just wanted to be stable and improve next year when all our new signings had bedded in a bit and take some confidence from this season. Instead we are no where near fielding a settled team, many of the new signings don't even make the bench and we look shell shocked, players and fans. We are all looking for a leader on the pitch, but we should also be looking for leadership off the pitch too in the manager and from the chairman/owner.

There will be an uproar if the club announce any increase in ST prices if we do stay in the Championship or fail to announce a decent reduction if we are relegated. I know we don't have to buy merchandise etc but if the club go and add a fiver onto a shirt and 50p on drinks etc that will be an insult too. They got to think long and hard, as that's what the fans will be doing.

I believe the clubs best crooners (Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton) will be paying you a visit to serenade you and give you a red rose. Will that work?

It's difficult to boo or protest when you don't feel angry towards the players.  Most of them still look as though they are putting a shift in.

Likewise, I personally don't criticise Steve Lansdown because he has done far more good for the club than any other chairman in the 35 years I've been going to Ashton Gate.  Booing him would be like getting pi$$y with someone who bought you a brand new car but you didn't like the colour.

All my anger is directed at Lee Johnson's failure as head coach.  Not at him personally because I don't dislike the bloke but at his reluctance to resign when it's clear that he will not succeed.

And for all the poison directed at Vincent Tan and the Venky family, both of carried on destroying their clubs year on year.  I don't feel that sense of loss for Bristol City although it would a terrible season if we end up in League One again.

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I believe the clubs best crooners (Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton) will be paying you a visit to serenade you and give you a red rose. Will that work?

Ha ha it's a start, let them try...but I'm not as easily blinded by waffle and can see through a bluffer better than some people!

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Don't be worried about maybe not renewing RedM, it's a simple equation for me.

Johnson is still head coach / Manager = I will not renew.

Anything else, L1 or Championship, I will renew. 

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

....I personally don't criticise Steve Lansdown because he has done far more good for the club than any other chairman in the 35 years I've been going to Ashton Gate.....

I totally get your sentiment.....but SL isn't the chairman....lots on here just can't seem to understand that...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I totally get your sentiment.....but SL isn't the chairman....lots on here just can't seem to understand that...

No, absolutely true.  And I initially worded the line with "chairman/CEO/owner/majority shareholder" but his role at the club (in terms of day to day impact) is similar to that of a chairman.  Ultimately he and the board make the decision on whether LJ keeps his job and that's where most of the criticism directed at him stems from.  Very, very few people criticise his "majority shareholder" attributes - paying off the club's debt, building a fantastic stadium and making funds available to buy players.

My use of the word chairman was to keep my point as brief as possible.

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, we (OTIB) like to think we are the hub of the supporters, BUT in reality it is only a small %age of our fan base !

I think if you look at the Facebook Site and Twitter as well as listening to local radio you'll see that it's not just OTIB users who have had enough of Johnson and SL's deluded backing of him. Look at the comments on Bristol City's offficial Facebook and twitter pages as well. 

He's lost all respect,confidence and support of a massive, massive majority of the supporters. These home draws are buying him time but it doesn't seem as if the bullet will come until we get demolished by someone. 

I understand he's( LJ)  running in the Bath Half Marathon on Sunday as I am . I imagine we'd do similar times so I'm really up for giving him grief about what he's doing to our club. 

Archived