IGNORED

Footballers: living the dream?

ColeCiderRed

Something I read on the train on the way into work this morning.

Thought I'd share it with you to see if you had any thoughts and to distract from the wonderful goings on at our club.

Not sure of the author but here you go:

Cars, girls, money. All words associated with footballers. The “dream” job, playing football every day and getting paid for it. Nothing could be better. Depending on how good you are you could be idolised by a city, a country and if you’re blessed, the world. Sounds all good doesn’t it? But what if I told you it was all an image, a facade painted for you to see when Sky Sports and BT have the cameras rolling. The men you hail as God’s at times can be reduced to being less than human, the insane amounts of wealth only prove to pacify the lack of freedom they have and make sure they can’t complain about the hardships and pressures of life.

Footballers may seemingly be in the dream job but when I analyse it first hand they are at times prisoners of the title. From a young age, they aren’t afforded the same freedoms that other children are. They are thrown into a world of rejection with kids being released as young as 11 years old, the “fun” aspect of the game is robbed of them before they become a teenager. They play “friendlies” but it’s not quite that. Every game they are under strict observation; every touch, every decision and every movement under the microscope of the managers and pitchside cameras. What was once fun becomes an examination knowing that as young as 13 they are seeing if they could be good enough by 18 and beyond. Young boys being put under pressure at a time where life is just fun for other kids. Little do they know it’s the most amount of unmitigated fun they’ll have in their careers.

Do you really believe it’s fun to have to move town, possibly even country and be taken away from your friends at a young age all for the sake of football? It’s only the end goal that soothes the pain of being taken away from all you know.

It seems as though the perception of footballer’s being rich means that they are all going to be happy go lucky characters because they have all the material goods that they could have wished for. They are seen to be smiling when giving an autograph or taking pictures with fans, but that’s all part of the image they have to upkeep. Fans don’t seem to believe they can be depressed or upset unless they have lost a cup final, forgetting that those long injury layoffs being lonely in the physio’s room and training on their own away from their teammates for months at a time can take it’s toll mentally, questioning if they’re still going to be able to perform at the same level and regain their place in the squad or even worse in this current climate of the “managerial merry go round” will the new manager give him an opportunity.

The game is a lottery in all aspects of the game. The uncertainty can be a killer, leaving players on edge at all times. Building feelings of anxiety, not something you’d associate with footballer’s.

But it’s real like that.

Their quality can be there but they could be on their 3rd knee surgery at 24. Now what? Retirement becomes an ever more realistic prospect: something they didn’t anticipate considering for another 10 years or so. It dawns on them that they don’t know anything else because unlike those who went to college between 16-18 they were already full time. Almost being denied a proper education because their clubs didn’t prioritise them and put them on a sports course that just about fit with the FA guidelines. They never were told about the “next step” because it’s a tunnel vision world and when reality strikes it becomes overwhelming as one door closes before another has opened.

Do you now see it’s easy for depression and negative thoughts to creep in? The feeling of the life you know coming to an end without being prepared. It could break anyone, footballer’s being no different.

Being pigeon-holed in a career is one thing but also being pigeon-holed in life is another. They are told because they are “footballers” they cannot do the things other people in their age group do. I once saw a picture of Jack Grealish (Aston Villa) lay flat out drunk on the floor of one of those “lads” holiday destination and because it was him, a footballer, of course it went viral. The negative backlash he received for doing something that anyone else his age was doing that summer was incredible. People questioned his character and mentality all for off-season minor antics that were probably a result of letting off steam during the short holiday players receive after a gruelling season. The old saying goes “Boys will be boys” but they were never allowed to be, nor will they ever be once they sign on the dotted line to enter this career path.

Can you imagine going Napa with your friends after a long year studying, coming back to the Uni chastising you then student finance cut some of your maintenance just for having youthful fun?

It’s ridiculous.

How can you expect an 18-21-year-old to have to be so grown when they haven’t even learned about themselves professionally let alone personally. “Well, we pay them X amount a week” that sounds all well and good until at 18 they tell you that once this contract is signed you can’t party, drink, or even hang out with your friends at times when at that age it’s all you want to do.

Money doesn’t replace experiences. Believe me on that.

It even goes as far as telling them they can’t tweet things, believe me when there have been times my friends have told me I can’t @ them in stuff because they’re not allowed to be associated with it or they just lost a game and the club said they can’t tweet. How many times on a Saturday evening do you see endless tweets from players saying “Happy/Disappointed with the result today? Fans were great once again. We go again next week” Do you really believe that’s what they think every week? I really don’t but they can’t say “The fans were crap today” because 1. they’ll probably be fined for it and 2. because they recognise that although you may have abused them personally for 90 minutes you pay your hard earned money to watch them so they gotta show appreciation. They realise that whilst they are a part of your club that they had no affiliation to prior to being signed they must play the part of being a “die hard” player, performing for a badge that meant nothing to them before. Keeping their mouth shut even when the club does them dirty, all to please the fans. Not to come off as ungrateful for the opportunity and privilege they have been given.

We have truly made footballers an emotionless robotic species. But you wonder why there’s no passion in the game anymore, passion gets you in trouble.

As a fan of the game, I once had the image of the players that most people do but seeing what the game has done to my friends and acquaintances in football, it’s tough for me to view it as the dream job. All the politics and drama at times really isn’t worth the high wages. Fast cars, nice houses and jewellery don’t match up to being the product of a system that doesn’t allow you to have an open and free childhood and adolescence or the freedom to express yourself unless it’s physical. It’s just not for me. I hope that whatever level you play at whether it’s Premier League or Conference you enjoy it and come away as unscathed as possible.

I particularly like the part about "playing for the badge"

I've long believed the cry from fans that players aren't playing for the badge or shirt is utter cobblers.

Only the tiniest percentage of players will ever meet that criteria and I expect most of us could count on one hand the City players who have over the last 20 years.

At the end of the day, its a job of work for all of them. If we apply our current situation, potential relegation could mean a pay cut, moving on again or in some cases release and the end of a career. That should be motivation enough to perform.

Very interesting read...thanks for posting. 

I read another eye-opening article a while back, can't remember in which publication it was placed but it discussed the widespread depression amongst young footballers and their immediate families. Basically it looked at how some are signed by a club in their late teens, move hundreds of miles to relocate near their new club and basically spend most of their time sat in an isolated mega-house worth millions which is so far from home.

Their friends don't come to visit them as they have their 'normal' jobs to fulfil and plenty of other mates who still live in the areas where they grew up....so the famous, rich young footballers just get more and more detached from reality and more isolated from the lives they once knew and loved before they found out they were quite good at kicking a football.

It's an interesting debate to have....being young, rich and famous....it doesn't always work for everyone. I remember a documentary when Robbie Williams was talking about battling depression, one quote really stood out for me...he was talking about how he can't even walk down the street to the local store anymore and he ended it by saying:

"I woke up one morning and thought, I've got the biggest TV in the world...so f*****g what..."

It is about dedication to reach the top , like musicians, practice, practice , practice and one day , just maybe you'll get that break.

However the majority of musicians end up playing in pubs for free beer and not the Hammersmith Palais for big fees in front of an adoring public.

It's a choice, no one is guaranteed success . Each and every one of us has our unique pathway in life .

There are many harder professions where the financial rewards do not mean that you can retire at thirty , made for life .

The higher the reward , The higher the gamble . A few will hit the jackpot and many will just have dodgy knees and memories to sustain them after they quit .

They lived their dream and that is something that many people never can do .

56 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I particularly like the part about "playing for the badge"

I've long believed the cry from fans that players aren't playing for the badge or shirt is utter cobblers.

Only the tiniest percentage of players will ever meet that criteria and I expect most of us could count on one hand the City players who have over the last 20 years.

At the end of the day, its a job of work for all of them. If we apply our current situation, potential relegation could mean a pay cut, moving on again or in some cases release and the end of a career. That should be motivation enough to perform.

I think the same. When you see former players leave a club, be it for more money (usually the case) or better opportunities. Fans of the former club will call them snakes etc..  I don't really get it. Each to their own I guess but it is just a job to that player.

Playing for the badge no longer exists for some players.

50 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Very interesting read...thanks for posting. 

I read another eye-opening article a while back, can't remember in which publication it was placed but it discussed the widespread depression amongst young footballers and their immediate families. Basically it looked at how some are signed by a club in their late teens, move hundreds of miles to relocate near their new club and basically spend most of their time sat in an isolated mega-house worth millions which is so far from home.

Their friends don't come to visit them as they have their 'normal' jobs to fulfil and plenty of other mates who still live in the areas where they grew up....so the famous, rich young footballers just get more and more detached from reality and more isolated from the lives they once knew and loved before they found out they were quite good at kicking a football.

It's an interesting debate to have....being young, rich and famous....it doesn't always work for everyone. I remember a documentary when Robbie Williams was talking about battling depression, one quote really stood out for me...he was talking about how he can't even walk down the street to the local store anymore and he ended it by saying:

"I woke up one morning and thought, I've got the biggest TV in the world...so f*****g what..."

I think I read similar, featured that lad Michael Johnson of Man City who was supposedly the next big thing. Ended up on footballs scrap heap.

Back in the 1980s I knew the manager of a local side quite well. They were the equivalent of Western League, paying players £25 a match and with gates of about 250. It was all nicely in balance. Two things I learned (and this is all 100% true).

My mate had been on the books of a first division team from the age of 16 and had reached he stage of being an ever-present in the reserves. His first team counterpart was a well-known international so he never got the first team break. Right at the end of one season his knee went and he never played again. One ot football's could have beens.

There were players in his non-league team who'd had approaches to go full-time with division 3  / 4 sides but with secure jobs outside the game and beer money for playing, few considered the offers. It's probably the same now, it sounds like a dream to p,ay full-time but it's a short career and unless you make it big that job in the bank or insurance company looks a better bet.

Lastly, who remembers Tony Fitzpatrick? He was playing part-time for St. Mirren, working as a painter and decorator if memory serves. He joined us, full time obviously, and moved 400 miles. He and we discovered the harsh realities of that sort of move.

31 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Back in the 1980s I knew the manager of a local side quite well. They were the equivalent of Western League, paying players £25 a match and with gates of about 250. It was all nicely in balance. Two things I learned (and this is all 100% true).

My mate had been on the books of a first division team from the age of 16 and had reached he stage of being an ever-present in the reserves. His first team counterpart was a well-known international so he never got the first team break. Right at the end of one season his knee went and he never played again. One ot football's could have beens.

There were players in his non-league team who'd had approaches to go full-time with division 3  / 4 sides but with secure jobs outside the game and beer money for playing, few considered the offers. It's probably the same now, it sounds like a dream to p,ay full-time but it's a short career and unless you make it big that job in the bank or insurance company looks a better bet.

Lastly, who remembers Tony Fitzpatrick? He was playing part-time for St. Mirren, working as a painter and decorator if memory serves. He joined us, full time obviously, and moved 400 miles. He and we discovered the harsh realities of that sort of move.

I hope he was better at painting and decorating than he was at football. 

Two other things come to mind.

Remember all of those people questioning JET & his desire to play football compared to being a DJ? Maybe he had it right after all, as he was doing what actually made him happy, even if it meant that he didn't "realise his potential".

The other was to mention Exeter City twice in a few days. Interesting article in the Telegraph on how many of their players are also studying for university and college qualifications. Keeps them having something to do and can also bond players I guess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/07/11-degrees-counting-isexeter-city-britains-cleverest-club/

From a young age, they aren’t afforded the same freedoms that other children are. They are thrown into a world of rejection with kids being released as young as 11 years old

Kids can be signed and released by clubs at nine. A sacrifice many of these kids have to make is they can no longer play for their schools or junior clubs. Academy life can be quite hard for many children. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

From a young age, they aren’t afforded the same freedoms that other children are. They are thrown into a world of rejection with kids being released as young as 11 years old

Kids can be signed and released by clubs at nine. A sacrifice many of these kids have to make is they can no longer play for their schools or junior clubs. Academy life can be quite hard for many children. 

:sad26:

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It's actually really refreshing to see a post like the OPs as opposed to  the vitriol of the last week so many thanks for that.

In terms of academy life, a friend of mines son is in the city system. The club are very good at managing expectations and ensuring the boys also keep up their schoolwork. Yes, external things are a bit curtailed but they also get to go on trips most kids of their age can only dream of.

The important thing is that my friend, and by extension their son, are taking the experience at that stage as one to savour. They know the odds are against him making it, and they accept that, but he could - if he does, great. If he doesn't, he's enjoyed the experience.

Guess the point is academy kids can still take the game for what it is - but it relies on a good club, which we are lucky to have, and just as vitally, a good and grounded family

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It's actually really refreshing to see a post like the OPs as opposed to  the vitriol of the last week so many thanks for that.

In terms of academy life, a friend of mines son is in the city system. The club are very good at managing expectations and ensuring the boys also keep up their schoolwork. Yes, external things are a bit curtailed but they also get to go on trips most kids of their age can only dream of.

The important thing is that my friend, and by extension their son, are taking the experience at that stage as one to savour. They know the odds are against him making it, and they accept that, but he could - if he does, great. If he doesn't, he's enjoyed the experience.

Guess the point is academy kids can still take the game for what it is - but it relies on a good club, which we are lucky to have, and just as vitally, a good and grounded family

Playing at Man City's academy. Its a stunning facility. Sci fi like.

For children its a two edged sword, the sacrifices and expectations are high, kids do not dream they can fail, which is why I applaud clubs like Man City and Southampton paying for he kids to be educated.

Archived