IGNORED

How can Johnson recover?

Alan Dicks

I don't know if he can recover with or without us, it's going to be a momentous change in fortune, luck, ability whatever. With us, even if he gives on to win every game starting tomorrow until the end of the season and see us finish more than safe he will always have people out with knifes at the ready. He failed to fall on his sword and so people won't give him any slack at all.

If we keep him and are relegated, lose our better players and struggle to make a positive start in League One the knives will be out again. His every signing will be scrutinised more than ever, he will have no wriggle room. Regarding the signings, I was under the impression we failed under Cotterill as players didn't want to sign for him, Lee J would be different. Fair enough we have attracted some decent players, I expect the huge budget helped enormously, but I'm wondering even if we stay in the Championship will players join us that easily again? Players are in and out of the team, no consistency, play a blinder then dropped, played out of position. No player will want to sign and get those sort of games, unless he pay them over the odds and pick up youngsters or journeyman and take ourselves back 10 years.

Say he leaves us for whatever reason, sacked or resigns, no club will want him with his record. Ok he will be in a position where he doesn't have to financially work, but for such a young, dynamic manager it won't be good to not work. Even punditry he won't be able to do, who would value his opinion!!!

Fair play if he does succeed whether with us or another, but if he does you got to hand it to him he will have done it the hard way as it doesn't get much worse than this, and he's done it all himself.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It's like when a girlfriend's cheated on you , you're never quite sure afterwards and eventually the loss of trust leads to a separation.

Unfortunately someone could be having someone else's wife right under his very nose and I get the impression that all would still be just fantastic.

Rudolf...........Rudolf...... ??!!

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't know if he can recover with or without us, it's going to be a momentous change in fortune, luck, ability whatever. With us, even if he gives on to win every game starting tomorrow until the end of the season and see us finish more than safe he will always have people out with knifes at the ready. He failed to fall on his sword and so people won't give him any slack at all.

If we keep him and are relegated, lose our better players and struggle to make a positive start in League One the knives will be out again. His every signing will be scrutinised more than ever, he will have no wriggle room. Regarding the signings, I was under the impression we failed under Cotterill as players didn't want to sign for him, Lee J would be different. Fair enough we have attracted some decent players, I expect the huge budget helped enormously, but I'm wondering even if we stay in the Championship will players join us that easily again? Players are in and out of the team, no consistency, play a blinder then dropped, played out of position. No player will want to sign and get those sort of games, unless he pay them over the odds and pick up youngsters or journeyman and take ourselves back 10 years.

Say he leaves us for whatever reason, sacked or resigns, no club will want him with his record. Ok he will be in a position where he doesn't have to financially work, but for such a young, dynamic manager it won't be good to not work. Even punditry he won't be able to do, who would value his opinion!!!

Fair play if he does succeed whether with us or another, but if he does you got to hand it to him he will have done it the hard way as it doesn't get much worse than this, and he's done it all himself.

You've perfectly highlighted why inaction isn't an answer.  Bristol City and Lee Johnson are now in a "lose, lose" situation whatever happens between now and May.

Would Steve Lansdown carry on with a fund investor who lost more money than any other comparable fund investor in a financial year?

5 minutes ago, Xiled said:

You've perfectly highlighted why inaction isn't an answer.  Bristol City and Lee Johnson are now in a "lose, lose" situation whatever happens between now and May.

Would Steve Lansdown carry on with a fund investor who lost more money than any other comparable fund investor in a financial year?

Try its entire financial history not year 

don't see landsdown desperately trying to employ a hungry dynamic Nick lesson on to his board ?

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I like the idea that was mooted of Lee having an "old footballing head" as an advisor.  Not necessarily a permanent appointment, 

Been banging this door for a while.  Mirroring what the England cricket team does.  Bringing in consultants on short term contracts to achieve specific goals.  There is no shame reaching out to the footballing community and tap in the wealth of experience that is available.

Yep I agree with this.

Survival and a much better season next year - with lessons learned - is the only way for Lee.

Even then many won't like him, but if they are not going to be leaving the majority of games depressed,  then slowly the crowds will return.

I like the idea that was mooted of Lee having an "old footballing head" as an advisor.  Not necessarily a permanent appointment,  but someone to put a bit of perspective on things, who can speak to Lee in a mentoring way rather than as an employee junior to him. He's a young man. It is not impossible he will one day become a decent manager. Relying on his dad for advice, as has been suggested he does, is not the same thing. Gary has his own club to run and won't have observed the day-to-day functioning of the club, nor will he be impartial. I don't think this role would need to be as formal as Director of Football.  Just an older guy who's been there and done it, and fancies staying in the game by imparting advice to a relative newbie. 

Someone like Steve Coppell? :fear:

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

All that could be said of SOD, but there was never the hatred for him that some posters are giving Johnson.  Indeed, astoundingly, when he was sacked for heading us into L2 there were lots of people defending him and saying we'd turned a corner, on the basis of a home draw. Some still think he's a "misunderstood genius" :whistle:

I don't think it was ever allowed to go so far, also the circumstances at the club were completly different. 

SOD came into a club that was on a downward spiral, and had been for a long time. No one could have saved us from relegation that year, and the fans knew that. I still feel that what SO'D done whilst he was here left the next manager, Cotterill, a solid base to work upon. 

Johnson on the other hand came into a fairly well run club, with a good feel factor, despite a poor start to the season. He spent a huge amount of money, assembly what many viewed to be a strong squad. However he, along with a few others, have turned this club into a laughing stock. 

So, in summary, SOD came into a shit state of a club, Johnson turned this club into a shit state.

All that could be said of SOD, but there was never the hatred for him that some posters are giving Johnson. 

For me its become personal.

Under his stewardship or lack of, it effecting my my day to day life.  I look forward to Saturday mornings and the radio broadcast of the game (all I got). Now Saturday mornings are miserable.

I absolutely hate the position we are in.  I absolutely hate the fact its probably not going to change.  I absolutely hate the fact we are sleep walking into L1.  I absolutely hate the prospect of playing Moron FC next season.

Looking from the outside in, its a complete f'ing mess.  There is only one person I can direct my frustrations at and that is LJ. He simply does not have the tools to get the job done.  Its to my immense frustration that I am unable to change the situation.

So I will get up early on Saturday morning.  It will follow a familiar pattern.  Deja-vu with those post match interviews that leave me feeling annoyed....

....he's like a wasp!!!!!! F F'in me.

Stevo

59 minutes ago, jimgoeswest said:

The Premier league and championship have 44 of the best managers and coaches in this country and a fair few from the rest of Europe. They are exceptional man managers, coaches, tacticians, motivators, astute people, able to spot talent and command great respect. Then there's LJ. Does anyone really believe LJ is one of them? 

The point is, you always need someone to make the others look good. A bit like the girl at the bar with a fat friend.

LJ is the fat friend.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only way Junior can win back the fans is by winning matches - end of.

City should not be in this current plight and with the available players and with experienced man at the helm we should  be mid table or pushing for a pray off place.

Junior has wasted his opportunity but he can't see it.........:facepalm:

If he could see it he'd surely have fallen on his sword by now.

If he leaves, I'll applaud him....:clap:

It's going to be very difficult for him. If we start winning enough games to stay up (looking very unlikely) and make visible progress next season, the horrors of the last few months might become a distant memory. I just can't see that change in our fortunes happening because there's no evidence he can get the best out of the squad. Also there would be that added pressure if we had a bad spell that history would be repeating itself.

59 minutes ago, B block said:

You could say that about Blair, bush, Corbyn, all hated on a personal level and no one knows them, you don't have to have met someone to personally dislike them. 

Erm... Being a war criminal deserves personal abuses and hatred... Losing football matches doesn't

8 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Erm... Being a war criminal deserves personal abuses and hatred... Losing football matches doesn't

You emphasis my point, I assume you mean Blair, either way he's never been convicted of a criminal offence so war criminal is your opinion and as such you dislike him (by the way I'm not defending him, I find him loathsome) it's more regarding dislike does not come from simply knowing someone personally but from their actions and how those actions affect you.

It's all a personal interpretation. 

For a section of supporters LJ was never going to be liked. Some disliked his father and by association him. Some really disliked him as a player, in large part because his selection suggested nepotism on behalf of his dad. Some felt that he was the wrong appointment at the start and were really unconvinced with his managerial record and that he was "the outstanding candidate" for manager (as opposed to "Project Yes Man"?).

That leaves the rest, almost all of whom have come to dislike LJ being our manager during the worst run in our history, not helped by his own actions and performance. There would have to be the most incredible turnaround in results for him to ever reverse all that bad feeling. Yet somehow the powers that be at the club can't seem to appreciate that. That's what seems even more incredible!

43 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Being a rude and abusive in the manner than Johnson is, is a trait i seriously dislike in people.

act like that in public and who knows what they are like in person.

Personally don't feel he's ever come across as a decent,Genuine or respectful human being.

I don't believe there is anything he can do to turn around his reputation at Bristol City.  He was tainted before he returned and he's even more disliked now.

was always going to end this way. 

I honestly think that despite all the BS coming from Ashton & co , lose tomorrow and he'll be gone ! (Perhaps even if we draw) - we're live to the nation next Friday against a side who will no doubt tear us a new one . An empty stadium will be beamed around the world adding to the humiliation ! If he's sacked midweek , it won't be empty ! 

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

As Thomas Edison once said " I have not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that wont work"

LJ has taken this to heart

Keep the faith and all will come good. Now where's that Thatchers got to?

Have we only got to wait around 9,950 games to find the answer? 

I honestly don't think he can, reading otib and other places at least this is the most poisonous I've seen the fan base towards a manager. Could partly be that some people had it in for him when he was announced as manager due to his time as a player and wouldn't give him anything while we are doing well, but given how things have gone even those who were avid supporters have lost faith. I feel if we were to survive and finish midtable fans would still want him out and things are too far gone now. 

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I honestly think that despite all the BS coming from Ashton & co , lose tomorrow and he'll be gone ! (Perhaps even if we draw) - we're live to the nation next Friday against a side who will no doubt tear us a new one . An empty stadium will be beamed around the world adding to the humiliation ! If he's sacked midweek , it won't be empty ! 

And after that Huddersfield game we've got 2 weeks off for internationals. If he survives that period then he's definitely here until the end.

Archived