IGNORED

Match Report from Wigan - Terrible Game / Awesome Finish!

Olé

From these small seeds, big things are grown. I hope that is the sentiment tonight from everyone connected with City because really it wasn’t a very good performance and although we shaded the result, it was a terrible game between two teams who have rightly occupied close to the lowest positions in the table.

We started brightly for about 5 minutes and we finished strongly for about 15 minutes, but other than that it was an awful match between two poor teams and we were indebted to Fielding for a couple of important saves. We on the other hand had about one shot on goal and but for some bright running outside the box, rarely went close.

We started uncharacteristically boldly with two up top, Lee Tomlin floating about the place, and Korey at right back. Let me start right away by saying despite the confusing line up, Korey was our best player by a mile, not only did he win everything he was asked to, but he is so much more intelligent than the others with his decision making.

For about five minutes we tried to get the ball up to Taylor or Tammy and pour forward. O’Neil looked like he really wanted it from the middle, and we pushed up. For a moment this was going to be Derby or Newcastle again. It wasn’t. Punting the ball to Taylor and Tammy (neither a target man) is not winning football. And it didn’t do much.

Our best football at the start was when Tomlin ran at them out of the hole, but the more he tried, the worse he got, giving the ball away feebly or over complicating and missing the shooting opportunity altogether. By about ten minutes in Wigan had adjusted to our game plan and we really didn’t cause any serious problems for another hour.

By a quarter of the way through the match it had descended to an awful game of football between two teams that could barely string passes together and made all the wrong decisions. Joe Bryan was casual and routinely giving the ball away. If he got forward, he crossed it straight to a defender. Tomlin was losing the ball every time he got it.

Surprisingly, from an incredibly open start that looked like it was only a defensive mistake away from goals - and produced exciting back and forth attacking - we had landed on awful football between two teams that huffed and puffed to create anything of substance. Best example Omar Bogle who was a nuisance - but looked non league.

By half time Wigan were opening us up far better than we were opening them up, and hit the cross bar and forced a couple of saves from Fielding. We didn’t force anything. Unsurprisingly knocking it long to Taylor and Tammy is not a great way to build possession and Taylor in particular was awful, and failed to get many balls under control.

I honestly thought Wigan were the more likely to score, and they looked it until Wilbraham came on. He changed the game. He properly worked defenders, controlled forward balls, and brought others in. We were a different team when he came on. Tomlin also adjusted - won free kicks rather than over complicated, and Joe Bryan looked more awake.

Gradually we grew into the game and for the last ten minutes we saw what I haven’t seen a City team produce for months and months - a barnstorming finish. We were the only team that was going to get the winner, Tomlin was drawing foul after foul and Joe Bryan three times got to the byline and floated a pinpoint cross in (contrasting to aimless lifts into the middle).

His third cross in short succession would secure the goal, but before that, Brownhill (on with O’Dowda as rightful subs) had dragged a shot wide with the goal gaping. This was City’s game to win. In the end it was a Bryan cross which Tammy (who was largely poor but a constant nuisance) bundled into and Flint reacted quickest to knock it home.

Delirium. It was like a weight was lifted. Bear in mind this was a game which for an hour we and Wigan had contrived to exchange mistakes and look something more akin to League Two than the Championship. But for once City improved from the half time re-group and the substitutions galvanised the team still further. Not often we’ve said that.

In the end I’m left absolutely over the moon about an only barely deserved win that was a victory for pure guts and fight. But no getting carried away, both teams were awful and we had probably only one shot on goal. It was like Rotherham at home. Terrible teams battling over who is second worst or third worst. But I will take a win any which way we can get it.

I also am left to ponder about team selection again. O’Dowda, so good in recent weeks, dropped. Wilbraham, who amazed everyone by getting 4 consecutive starts, disappears the one time we have no other options for a target man and play 60 minutes punting balls to two players who are not. Let’s be clear, this wasn’t redemption in any shape for LJ.

The selection was bold and offered hope of a Derby-like first half with the same forward players. But big difference, O’Neil and Pack sat in, we didn’t have the short passing out of midfield that carved open lanes for Taylor and Tammy at Derby. Instead we tried to release our wingers (but didn’t) or knocked it up and hoped Taylor would control (he didn’t).

But a great result and although it surprised me, Johnson had the balls to come and celebrate it with the away fans. He will need a LOT more than this to be taken seriously, but anyone who didn’t enjoy it, can hardly be supporting City. There was a muted attempt at Johnson Out during the second half, but it was shouted down. Not today.

Fielding 8 Shout for man of the match, far better than Giefer and kept us in the game with two or three saves you would expect him to make but which quite honestly I would not be surprised to see Giefer concede from.
Smith 9 Absolutely outstanding, odd position and it showed at times (thought he had more time than he did, played more centrally from set pieces than he should) but won everything, never stopped going, and quite frankly produced the best forward balls of anyone. A class act again.
Bryan 7 Was terrible with the ball in the first half, but was solid against his opposite number and in the second half stepped it up a level and got to the byline and produced far better crosses than he managed in the first half. If he was talked to at half time in did the trick.
Flint 8 Won pretty much everything (and there were far more balls flying in at Bogle than we were sending into their defence) and led by example. His goal was deserved. Sick of this guy being the scapegoat. He gives it everything and in poor games like this between awful teams, THAT is the difference.
Wright 7 Solid as well, few mistakes although a few of his clearances were poorly placed
O’Neil 7 Worked his proverbials off as well. Got a knock early on and that seemed to limit his forward play, but was always looking to cover and pushed up enough to help Tomlin and others play with freedom
Pack 6 Some nice patient control and passing in midfield but he wasted several miscued passes and as with earlier in the season a little too ponderous, didn’t look able to build quickly or thread the needle forward
Cotterill 6 He set high standards with his first few games and I actually think he is regressing. Struggled to get in the game and didn’t have a lot of space to work with. I don’t think he plays well when we have Tomlin in the team. 
Tomlin 6 Terrible in the first half, a couple of good runs but made an artform of making the wrong decision - fail to control, give the ball away, pass to an opponent, hold on too long and lose the ball. Second half wasn’t significantly better but kept it simple, won free kicks, and became a nuisance.
Taylor 5 Really poor. Nothing like Derby. Didn’t have good service and was being asked to play a really difficult game (drifting off markers and bringing long forward balls under control before turning and going at them). Didn’t do much of that.
Abraham 6 A couple of stunning touches early on as he’s liable to do (one by the touchline was amazing) but didn’t look sharp and had very little to work with. Was amazed he stayed on, but thank god he did as even without the service or control, was the nuisance which contrived our goal.

Subs:
Wilbraham 7 Changed the game. We played football that needed a target man so thank god we finally got one after an hour. We have serious problems if Duric is out for a while.
O’Dowda 6 Didn’t have a lot to do when he came on, but did it well.
Brownhill 6 Missed our best chance of the game but bags of energy and was the first central midfielder to really push forward which shifted us up the pitch and was important to us building the late momentum which won the game

Cheers for the write up!

I don't think you mentioned a controversial moment described on commentary where Taylor (I think) was fouled when clean through. Was it just before half time? Sounded like we deserved to get am advantage from that?

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

From these small seeds, big things are grown. I hope that is the sentiment tonight from everyone connected with City because really it wasn’t a very good performance and although we shaded the result, it was a terrible game between two teams who have rightly occupied close to the lowest positions in the table.

We started brightly for about 5 minutes and we finished strongly for about 15 minutes, but other than that it was an awful match between two poor teams and we were indebted to Fielding for a couple of important saves. We on the other hand had about one shot on goal and but for some bright running outside the box, rarely went close.

We started uncharacteristically boldly with two up top, Lee Tomlin floating about the place, and Korey at right back. Let me start right away by saying despite the confusing line up, Korey was our best player by a mile, not only did he win everything he was asked to, but he is so much more intelligent than the others with his decision making.

For about five minutes we tried to get the ball up to Taylor or Tammy and pour forward. O’Neil looked like he really wanted it from the middle, and we pushed up. For a moment this was going to be Derby or Newcastle again. It wasn’t. Punting the ball to Taylor and Tammy (neither a target man) is not winning football. And it didn’t do much.

Our best football at the start was when Tomlin ran at them out of the hole, but the more he tried, the worse he got, giving the ball away feebly or over complicating and missing the shooting opportunity altogether. By about ten minutes in Wigan had adjusted to our game plan and we really didn’t cause any serious problems for another hour.

By a quarter of the way through the match it had descended to an awful game of football between two teams that could barely string passes together and made all the wrong decisions. Joe Bryan was casual and routinely giving the ball away. If he got forward, he crossed it straight to a defender. Tomlin was losing the ball every time he got it.

Surprisingly, from an incredibly open start that looked like it was only a defensive mistake away from goals - and produced exciting back and forth attacking - we had landed on awful football between two teams that huffed and puffed to create anything of substance. Best example Omar Bogle who was a nuisance - but looked non league.

By half time Wigan were opening us up far better than we were opening them up, and hit the cross bar and forced a couple of saves from Fielding. We didn’t force anything. Unsurprisingly knocking it long to Taylor and Tammy is not a great way to build possession and Taylor in particular was awful, and failed to get many balls under control.

I honestly thought Wigan were the more likely to score, and they looked it until Wilbraham came on. He changed the game. He properly worked defenders, controlled forward balls, and brought others in. We were a different team when he came on. Tomlin also adjusted - won free kicks rather than over complicated, and Joe Bryan looked more awake.

Gradually we grew into the game and for the last ten minutes we saw what I haven’t seen a City team produce for months and months - a barnstorming finish. We were the only team that was going to get the winner, Tomlin was drawing foul after foul and Joe Bryan three times got to the byline and floated a pinpoint cross in (contrasting to aimless lifts into the middle).

His third cross in short succession would secure the goal, but before that, Brownhill (on with O’Dowda as rightful subs) had dragged a shot wide with the goal gaping. This was City’s game to win. In the end it was a Bryan cross which Tammy (who was largely poor but a constant nuisance) bundled into and Flint reacted quickest to knock it home.

Delirium. It was like a weight was lifted. Bear in mind this was a game which for an hour we and Wigan had contrived to exchange mistakes and look something more akin to League Two than the Championship. But for once City improved from the half time re-group and the substitutions galvanised the team still further. Not often we’ve said that.

In the end I’m left absolutely over the moon about an only barely deserved win that was a victory for pure guts and fight. But no getting carried away, both teams were awful and we had probably only one shot on goal. It was like Rotherham at home. Terrible teams battling over who is second worst or third worst. But I will take a win any which way we can get it.

I also am left to ponder about team selection again. O’Dowda, so good in recent weeks, dropped. Wilbraham, who amazed everyone by getting 4 consecutive starts, disappears the one time we have no other options for a target man and play 60 minutes punting balls to two players who are not. Let’s be clear, this wasn’t redemption in any shape for LJ.

The selection was bold and offered hope of a Derby-like first half with the same forward players. But big difference, O’Neil and Pack sat in, we didn’t have the short passing out of midfield that carved open lanes for Taylor and Tammy at Derby. Instead we tried to release our wingers (but didn’t) or knocked it up and hoped Taylor would control (he didn’t).

But a great result and although it surprised me, Johnson had the balls to come and celebrate it with the away fans. He will need a LOT more than this to be taken seriously, but anyone who didn’t enjoy it, can hardly be supporting City. There was a muted attempt at Johnson Out during the second half, but it was shouted down. Not today.

Fielding 8 Shout for man of the match, far better than Giefer and kept us in the game with two or three saves you would expect him to make but which quite honestly I would not be surprised to see Giefer concede from.
Smith 9 Absolutely outstanding, odd position and it showed at times (thought he had more time than he did, played more centrally from set pieces than he should) but won everything, never stopped going, and quite frankly produced the best forward balls of anyone. A class act again.
Bryan 7 Was terrible with the ball in the first half, but was solid against his opposite number and in the second half stepped it up a level and got to the byline and produced far better crosses than he managed in the first half. If he was talked to at half time in did the trick.
Flint 8 Won pretty much everything (and there were far more balls flying in at Bogle than we were sending into their defence) and led by example. His goal was deserved. Sick of this guy being the scapegoat. He gives it everything and in poor games like this between awful teams, THAT is the difference.
Wright 7 Solid as well, few mistakes although a few of his clearances were poorly placed
O’Neil 7 Worked his proverbials off as well. Got a knock early on and that seemed to limit his forward play, but was always looking to cover and pushed up enough to help Tomlin and others play with freedom
Pack 6 Some nice patient control and passing in midfield but he wasted several miscued passes and as with earlier in the season a little too ponderous, didn’t look able to build quickly or thread the needle forward
Cotterill 6 He set high standards with his first few games and I actually think he is regressing. Struggled to get in the game and didn’t have a lot of space to work with. I don’t think he plays well when we have Tomlin in the team. 
Tomlin 6 Terrible in the first half, a couple of good runs but made an artform of making the wrong decision - fail to control, give the ball away, pass to an opponent, hold on too long and lose the ball. Second half wasn’t significantly better but kept it simple, won free kicks, and became a nuisance.
Taylor 5 Really poor. Nothing like Derby. Didn’t have good service and was being asked to play a really difficult game (drifting off markers and bringing long forward balls under control before turning and going at them). Didn’t do much of that.
Abraham 6 A couple of stunning touches early on as he’s liable to do (one by the touchline was amazing) but didn’t look sharp and had very little to work with. Was amazed he stayed on, but thank god he did as even without the service or control, was the nuisance which contrived our goal.

Subs:
Wilbraham 7 Changed the game. We played football that needed a target man so thank god we finally got one after an hour. We have serious problems if Duric is out for a while.
O’Dowda 6 Didn’t have a lot to do when he came on, but did it well.
Brownhill 6 Missed our best chance of the game but bags of energy and was the first central midfielder to really push forward which shifted us up the pitch and was important to us building the late momentum which won the game

Well done, excellent summary and is just like I heard on RB from Hoskins and Baker, although Baker seemed a bit anonymous for some reason.  Respect for all City fans who made the journey and really pleased they saw a rare away win.  Even so,  I still want Johnson out!

Always appreciate your objective and articulate reviews mate, miles better than any 2 minute highlights reel on YouTube! I have been feeling so flat about everything City I haven't bothered to watch the last 2 draws. Suppose I should catch up now on our 3 game unbeaten run!

29 minutes ago, Olé said:

Thanks Ole. It sounded pretty dire on the radio.  I could tell was that Tomlin was playing down to his recent standard (two free kicks into the wall, and losing possession in dangerous places) and Fielding made some good saves, but you put meat on the bone elsewhere. Glad that Korey made a good show at RB.

Well done to everyone that travelled.

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Cheers for the write up!

I don't think you mentioned a controversial moment described on commentary where Taylor (I think) was fouled when clean through. Was it just before half time? Sounded like we deserved to get am advantage from that?

He miscontrolled it and tripped over the ball.

Note on Cotts performance, generally the play was down the opposite part of the pitch, however he was just getting into the  game and starting to look like the menace we know he can be when he got subbed, it  happy bunny.

Good chat and joke with some of the senior players that didn't get on the coach, some very interesting insights revealed by just one question and interesting to hear one of the players opinion of LJs tactics.

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Good chat and joke with some of the senior players that didn't get on the coach, some very interesting insights revealed by just one question and interesting to hear one of the players opinion of LJs tactics.

Which was....? At the very least PM me. I'm trying to get through 2 hours on a train surrounded by Bolton and Colchester fans and drunk Glaswegians.

First class review.  Respect to those who travelled.

Seems pretty poor game. It was interesting to hear what LJ said on radio Brizzle about playing KS at right back. Says he played that position at Oldham and Norwich well, but also conscious what he gives midfield and loss when he's not there. 

I suspect barring injury he will remain our RB till end of season. 

Today has to be a massive confidence boost for the remaining tough games ahead. 

4 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

You weren't at the Norwich game then?

I was, and your point is? Last ten minutes? Wave upon wave of attack? No, didn't think so.

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

Which was....? At the very least PM me. I'm trying to get through 2 hours on a train surrounded by Bolton and Colchester fans and drunk Glaswegians.

when you find out what he says, can you act it out in Lego or semaphore, or something. Morse code would do…

35 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Note on Cotts performance, generally the play was down the opposite part of the pitch, however he was just getting into the  game and starting to look like the menace we know he can be when he got subbed, it  happy bunny.

You do not have to name the player you spoke to - but why mention it at all if your not going to actually say what was said ?

Good write up!

One thing I will say is that I'm not sure why people are surprised by Smith at right back. It's something I, along with others I know, have been saying for a while.

Firsty, pretty sure he spent most of his youth coming up through as a right back before converting into a midfielder.

Secondly, Bradley Orr proved that moving from midfield into a right back is more than doable.

I get it means losing him from midfield but to me we have enough cover in there and we are much worse off in the right back area.

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Please share?

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Well done, excellent summary and is just like I heard on RB from Hoskins and Baker, although Baker seemed a bit anonymous for some reason.  Respect for all City fans who made the journey and really pleased they saw a rare away win.  Even so,  I still want Johnson out!

Adam Baker on R. Bristol is a bit of a waste of time these days. I only heard him talk much after we had scored. Makes for very, very boring listening if the summariser isn't prepared to say ANYTHING negative about what's going on on the pitch. I had some of the commentary on from the home game, even though i was at the match on my earphone and when it was Chris Spittles filing in for AB  at least he was moaning along with the rest of us  (well, being honest)

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Great post. Sounds like typical tomlin this season. Dont know why Johnson has taken weeks since korey returned to put him right back. Clearly our best option there.

LJ is a little slow catching up on otib. I'm sure I suggested Smith at right back at least 2 months ago!

Thanks for the report.

Sadly, the odd 10 or 15 minutes of playing well here and there won't be enough to save our season.

Wigan had won 1 in their last 10 at home, so this was a 'must win' game even more so than the Burton one. 

Sounds like we got the win by the skin of our teeth and a lot more will be required to get anything from the next 3: Huddersfield, Brentford and Preston.

We need to find some big performances from somewhere and spring some surprises if we're to stay up.

The 4 game run in April of Wolves, QPR, Blackburn and Barnsley (3 at home fortunately) will ultimately determine our season though. 

Archived