IGNORED

Huddersfield Friday 17th March

Dolman Block B

Certainly a very stern test. I never predict our scores (being a superstitious sort) but we can but cross our fingers and hope that the last few results have boosted the confidence of the squad. There is also the historical thing of us playing better against better clubs.

First and foremost they are right now a much better team than us. On great form, and our par for teams like that at AG seems to be defeat by a couple of goals.They are nailed on for top six and chasing the top two, so a draw is not a huge lot of use to them. They will be targeting and expecting a win. If my maths is right, in the 17 games since we last played them, we have picked up 11 points, they have picked up 41, which puts it all in context.

It is football, so you never know. Any kind of positive result I would very happily accept.

4 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

We can give anyone a game on the day if the right side is put out and we approach it on the front foot. I think we might surprise them. It was only the Frankie blunder up there that cost us a point.

There inlies the problem. He won't pick the right side and will probably drop off them . Frankie did cost us up there but they were all over us like a rash most of the game. 

Theyll press us high up the pitch like they did up there

Afternoon all. Good result for you yesterday and expecting you to give us a tough test on Friday! We haven't been playing as well the last few games but are scraping results. I suppose you could say it is the sign of a good team but it still makes you worry when you play a team fighting for points (3 of our last 4 games have been against mid table teams). I expect you to be much tougher opposition.

Visiting Ashton Gate for the first time and looking forward to it. Can anyone give advice as to the best way to get to the ground from the city centre, i.e. Is it walking distance or do I need to get bus/train?

Huddersfield have a game in hand to all those around them - if they beat us (and they will have us firmly down as three points) they will be just 3 points from a automatic promotion spot (not bad for a team that finished below us last season).

A team on their best run of the season , confident and don't concede many . Huddersfield aren't bad either :clapping:

Can't see beyond a couple of goals defeat. They're playing well and even Vs Newcastle dominated possession . We need a whole truck load of luck and for once get the Ref's decisions go our way. If that happens and we play well we may have an outside chance. Really hope we can grab something as I may be meeting a mate after who's a Huddersfield fan , he didn't enjoy me showing Tomlins goal over and over last year. I'm expecting some own back Friday .

46 minutes ago, Townfan66 said:

Afternoon all. Good result for you yesterday and expecting you to give us a tough test on Friday! We haven't been playing as well the last few games but are scraping results. I suppose you could say it is the sign of a good team but it still makes you worry when you play a team fighting for points (3 of our last 4 games have been against mid table teams). I expect you to be much tougher opposition.

Visiting Ashton Gate for the first time and looking forward to it. Can anyone give advice as to the best way to get to the ground from the city centre, i.e. Is it walking distance or do I need to get bus/train?

Hello there and welcome. City centre is about twenty minutes -half hour walk to the ground. Tobacco factory is your best bet near the ground for a beer. 

As far as the game goes our manager picks the team out of a hat so no one knows what's going to happen least of all us . Comfortable 3 points for you imo but hoping I'm completely wrong give you a good hiding :blink::yes:

56 minutes ago, Townfan66 said:

If your coming by train, you can get a ferry down to a nice pub called the Cottage (sit outside on a nice day by the docks) - it's less than 10 minutes from the ground. If your getting off at the city centre by car/coach then you can again catch a ferry (they are about £3 but save a walk) or walk along the dockside, there are now at least a dozen bars and small food/bar/cafe type places along the way so make a nice mini-pub crawl, also greater chance to find a place you like with so much choice.

1 hour ago, Townfan66 said:

You will be made very welcome around the watering holes near to the Cumberland Basin, The Mardyke, The Pump House, The Cottage, nothing near the stadium apart for the Tobbaco Factory, rest home fans only.

LJ will run 30 simulations on FM.

He will tell from this that Huddersfield close down quickly when not in possession giving no space, and when in possession pass the ball well, are happy to retain the ball and look for space that somebody is making a run into.

He will then apply his genius as to what eleven to pick, what formation to play, and what players he wishes to implement it. He will decide that the answer is 4-5-1, to deny them space in midfield, advising the players to not to worry to much if they are passing the ball around in front of us, but to close them down in the final third. He will be torn between Wilbs or Tammy up front.

He will send the team out, confident he has applied tactical nous to maximise our chances.

The whistle will then go for the start if the match.

It will then become apparent that we are completely crap playing this way. No player will be entirely sure what their role is, as it will be the sixth formation, and fourth position that player has played in over the past few weeks, having seemingly been out of favour for a month, No one will get ahead of the ball making runs, as they are all seek to remember their precise instructions for this match. We will get no space, and will lump the ball forward to an isolated Tammy, who was chosen in the end, who can make nothing of it. 

We go in at half time 2-0 down having been completely out played. Huddersfield have been retaining possession as if it was a training match finding space at will, each knowing each other's role.

LJ is not happy at half time. Did no one watch the FM simulations? Much against his better judgement, he moves stuff around at half time, bringing on some more attacking options, and tells the team just to go for it.

After the break, Huddersfield miss a few good chances to put the game to bed, but slowly we start to get more in to it. Wilbs, who has now been brought on, starts to link up better with Tammy, we start getting the odd chance, as do they but suddenly with 15 to go, it is 1-2. We push for the equaliser, but it's not to be.

LJ after the match comments that it is thin lines, and that we were unlucky not to get something, despite being outplayed for 70 minutes. Meanwhile he is thinking there were at least two players who did not follow his instructions for this match to the letter and will need now resting for a month. He will make some comment about having learned a lot about some of his players today, and that some clearly do not have the energy and fight needed.

He will crank up his FM and gets to work on the next match.

3 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

We can give anyone a game on the day if the right side is put out and we approach it on the front foot. I think we might surprise them. It was only the Frankie blunder up there that cost us a point.

I watched it on a stream and we looked pretty terrible. FF was very lucky not to get sent off.

Archived