IGNORED

Was Wigan yesterday this season's version of Fulham (A) last year?

JHAGa

A late winner in a relegation six-pointer, around the same time of year. Ok, admittedly we aren't as clear as we were after the Fulham game but you cannot compensate for the confidence boost that should give the players, winning such an important fixture. We've also dragged Wolves and Forest well into the mix.

It's never been down to a lack of effort from the players and we've rarely been outplayed this season (I can only think of Brighton/Fulham home games), it's for a large part been down to which team were most capable of being clinical when their chances have come, with confidence so low, that hasn't been us until now. But just 3 losses in the last ten, yesterday's win and Abraham back, things are looking more positive at least. Will be a very tough game on Friday but that's typically the sort of game the club thrives in.

18 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

A late winner in a relegation six-pointer, around the same time of year. Ok, admittedly we aren't as clear as we were after the Fulham game but you cannot compensate for the confidence boost that should give the players, winning such an important fixture. We've also dragged Wolves and Forest well into the mix.

It's never been down to a lack of effort from the players and we've rarely been outplayed this season (I can only think of Brighton/Fulham home games), it's for a large part been down to which team were most capable of being clinical when their chances have come, with confidence so low, that hasn't been us until now. But just 3 losses in the last ten, yesterday's win and Abraham back, things are looking more positive at least. Will be a very tough game on Friday but that's typically the sort of game the club thrives in.

Hope springs eternal for some. Clutching at straws by trying to find optimistic comparisons would be the other way of seeing it.

Get anything from Friday and I think a few more of us might believe there is a fighting chance of staying up. 

However there are major differences between this season and last season, one of them being the "new manager bounce" we experienced, and the lack of anything similar now.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Hope springs eternal for some. Clutching at straws by trying to find optimistic comparisons would be the other way of seeing it.

Get anything from Friday and I think a few more of us might believe there is a fighting chance of staying up. 

However there are major differences between this season and last season, one of them being the "new manager bounce" we experienced, and the lack of anything similar now.

I was going to make that point actually. I believe if we'd got the recent results under a new manager all the anti-LJ crowd would be more positive but because they want LJ gone, they opt to instead focus on the negatives.

4 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I was going to make that point actually. I believe if we'd got the recent results under a new manager all the anti-LJ crowd would be more positive but because they want LJ gone, they opt to instead focus on the negatives.

I understand your point completely, the problem is that I see the last 3 results as luck rather than judgment based on LJ's record so far.  If it was a different manager I could surmise it was their influence, even if I was then proved wrong.  (Much like last season when I was almost evangelical about Johnson).

So I understand your reasoning but I still don't trust LJ is the man to take us forwards and still think he may see us sink.

More than happy to be proven wrong though!

16 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

The upturn in results recently is only relative and would still suggest that we will struggle to get 50 points. It's only LJ's record losing streak that makes it look even halfway respectable.

In the last 10 games we have had 2 scrappy late goal 1-0 wins over the bottom 2 teams, 5 draws and 3 defeats, giving us 11 points. Better but even with a new manager it would hardly be cause for celebration.

Unfortunately the truly woeful display against Forest that preceded this run could come back to haunt us. If we had got anything from that game, when they had just sacked their manager, they would be below us now. And that's part of the problem under LJ, in that a truly woeful performance crops up all too often, the most recent bring the capitulation against an improved Fulham team. Stop those displays and again we might stand a chance.

29 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I wish the team were playing like we did in the second half of last year's game at Fulham. Fantastic day. Tomlin in his pomp. I said  to my son we should do everything we can to sign and build the team around him. If you had told me as we headed home that we would be where we are now I would  not have believed it. Or that we would sign Tomlin and he would end up due to Johnson's lack of knowing what he is doing as just an average player for us, I would also find it hard to believe.It is all very sad.

While it's certainly a relief to pick up 3 points against a relegation rival I wouldn't say it quite had the Fulham feel good factor just yet.

Last season, our record before Fulham (From the Boro game) was 5 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses.

Our record in the 10 games up to Wigan this season is 1 win, 5 draws and 4 losses.

We need more wins to say it's truly a corner turned.

3 points against high flying Huddersfield and I think a genuine feeling of confidence may return. That would be more like last years Fulham result.

10 minutes ago, redandy1 said:

I wish the team were playing like we did in the second half of last year's game at Fulham. Fantastic day. Tomlin in his pomp. I said  to my son we should do everything we can to sign and build the team around him. If you had told me as we headed home that we would be where we are now I would  not have believed it. Or that we would sign Tomlin and he would end up due to Johnson's lack of knowing what he is doing as just an average player for us, I would also find it hard to believe.It is all very sad.

I agree the second half performance in that game was fantastic. Made all the more better after how bad we were in the first half! Bobby Reid was immense and if I recall correct, Bryan was alongside him and they both ran the game second half. Probably my favourite away day, the stand was rocking to Bounce Around the Ground after Tomlin scored. Even throughout the first half I remember our fans were brilliant, I think we really helped the squad that day.

I'm not looking for excuses for LJ. I do defend him and am not as quick to criticise him as a lot on here so you could claim I'm biased, but I don't think you can over-emphasise the influence of confidence on performances in football. It's so difficult for a team to pick themselves up when stuck in a rut. I think it's what's made me so desparate to see the gamble the board have made in LJ rewarded. I like him as a person and would love him to be our Eddie Howe (ok, maybe I'm overexaggerating now :laugh:, but it's the dream). I just want us to stay up and go again next year. I'm tired of us changing managers every 12 months.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was on a golf weekend last year when we beat Fulham....was also on a golf weekend this weekend too.

I live in hope and coincidences that we might get out of it.

Any crazy golf outlets open on Friday night? ;)

Sometimes when you are on a Barron run, a lucky win is all it takes to give the team a confidence boost.

we're now 3 unbeaten and that's got to help build confidence within the squad. I just hope we have a real fight from the lads Friday night, even if just to put themselves in the shop window in front of the cameras!

I really hope that yesterday's result is one we'll be able to look back on as one that was key in propelling us to safety. 

The seeds of a recovery are there, but it is a very fragile one. We are very lucky to not be adrift after the terrible results of the last few months - it is still all to play for.

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

I agree the second half performance in that game was fantastic. Made all the more better after how bad we were in the first half! Bobby Reid was immense and if I recall correct, Bryan was alongside him and they both ran the game second half. Probably my favourite away day, the stand was rocking to Bounce Around the Ground after Tomlin scored. Even throughout the first half I remember our fans were brilliant, I think we really helped the squad that day.

I'm not looking for excuses for LJ. I do defend him and am not as quick to criticise him as a lot on here so you could claim I'm biased, but I don't think you can over-emphasise the influence of confidence on performances in football. It's so difficult for a team to pick themselves up when stuck in a rut. I think it's what's made me so desparate to see the gamble the board have made in LJ rewarded. I like him as a person and would love him to be our Eddie Howe (ok, maybe I'm overexaggerating now :laugh:, but it's the dream). I just want us to stay up and go again next year. I'm tired of us changing managers every 12 months.

I am tired of Mr Lansdown's inability to pick good managers. It can never be a reason to keep a manager that you don't want to keep changing them. So because of that someone clearly not up to the job stays on. Pick the right one who has proven ability at this level and experience in management and back  him if things aren't going well. 

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Sometimes when you are on a Barron run, a lucky win is all it takes to give the team a confidence boost.

we're now 3 unbeaten and that's got to help build confidence within the squad. I just hope we have a real fight from the lads Friday night, even if just to put themselves in the shop window in front of the cameras!

I just hope that Friday is not a Barron Night.

12 hours ago, redandy1 said:

I am tired of Mr Lansdown's inability to pick good managers. It can never be a reason to keep a manager that you don't want to keep changing them. So because of that someone clearly not up to the job stays on. Pick the right one who has proven ability at this level and experience in management and back  him if things aren't going well. 

I do agree, it's part of the reason I was never enthused about the idea of LJ leaving as much as others as I had no faith in us getting a suitable, experienced replacement. I do also partly admire SL for making the gamble and sticking with Lee, I want to see stability at the club, although I wish he had done so with Cotts.

15 hours ago, JHAGa said:

So are we supposed to forget about the last 5 months? It would be totally different under a new Manager as he wouldn't be responsible for the garbage served up this winter whereas the useless yet unsackable one is totally responsible.

Sorry, JOHNSON OUT.

BTW, I'm not anti Lee Johnson, I'm pro Bristol City.

15 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

So are we supposed to forget about the last 5 months? It would be totally different under a new Manager as he wouldn't be responsible for the garbage served up this winter whereas the useless yet unsackable one is totally responsible.

Sorry, JOHNSON OUT.

BTW, I'm not anti Lee Johnson, I'm pro Bristol City.

No, but why focus on it when we seem to be making positive strides? Just like everyone forgot about the 5 months preceding the last 5 months!

7 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

No, but why focus on it when we seem to be making positive strides? Just like everyone forgot about the 5 months preceding the last 5 months!

I wasn't 'focussing' on it, I just answered a question. It's an opinion, different to your own admittedly but just an opinion. 3 wins in 5 months would have meant the sack anywhere but here so 1 poor display, resulting in a win against a poor side changes nothing

The reason I feel it's important is for the long term good of the club. This chancer is totally useless and the long term good of the club is best served by his removal. Yes, I want him gone and even survival won't change that and I pray we do survive but it would be in spite of him not because of him as he doesn't have the necessary skills to manage this club.

JOHNSONOUT.

18 hours ago, JHAGa said:

No it wasn't. But it was similar (although later in the season) to that of the Charlton game. Scrappy 1-0 win on a dire pitch against a team struggling as much as we are.

Hopefully we will follow it up with 5 wins out the next 8 like we did then and push to our way to safety......

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

No it wasn't. But it was similar (although later in the season) to that of the Charlton game. Scrappy 1-0 win on a dire pitch against a team struggling as much as we are.

Hopefully we will follow it up with 5 wins out the next 8 like we did then and push to our way to safety......

Yes, probably a better comparison to be fair. Fulham just popped in my head due to the late winner and the fact it was this time last year.

Archived