IGNORED

Worst season ever?

cidered abroad

53 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Easily the biggest failure in the laSt 20 years. Shameful really

Disagree, for me the biggest failure in the last 20 years was the 2009/10 season...  chance to strengthen and progress on what we achieved the 2 seasons before but we didn't, filling the squad with average players on cushy contracts culminating in the eventual relegation and being bottom of L1. 

That 98/99 was still appalling though...

6 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Disagree, for me the biggest failure in the last 20 years was the 2009/10 season...  chance to strengthen and progress on what we achieved the 2 seasons before but we didn't, filling the squad with average players on cushy contracts culminating in the eventual relegation and being bottom of L1. 

It's certainly another massive underachieving season on the CV.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Easily the biggest failure in the laSt 20 years. Shameful really

not even close,

not playing lita in the play-off final, not strengthening the squad when we were pushing for promotion, appointing tony pulis as manager, appointing steve coppel as manager appointing shaun o'driscal as manager, buy a brick, all far worse then this season

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

not even in the top 10, worst coach yes but season no

Got to be up there. People aren't comparing that in other years we had nowhere near the facilities or finances , £15m spent on the squad. This is probably the most affluent the club has been and we could well have  blown our chance . It could take years to recover as well. 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nowhere near the worst season - by a long chalk.

In my memory the early 80s was a desperate time. Free falling thru the divisions. We ere doing well if City got an attendance of 6k back then.

Those older posters on here will remember those grim days..............:facepalm:

Yes I am among the older posters! :laugh:!

But in someway this is worse. We have spent millions on players a ground and an expectation that we wouldn't be in a relegation fight. 82 and for the following 20 years or so we had little money and no expectation of ever going beyond the odd season in the second tier.

We have wasted an opportunity to build on a brilliant season two years ago and continue to suffer under an administration that seems hell bent in persisting with failure in the hope somehow the players will have an epiphany that LJ MA SL and Mr Holden are right and 97% of everyone else is wrong.

That claws at my gut in a way that Fulham at home with teenagers and the years that followed never did.

Hope is all we had then, now I'm not sure we have even that, beyond the epiphany!

2 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

You do see the irony right?

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I am among the older posters! :laugh:!

But in someway this is worse. We have spent millions on players a ground and an expectation that we wouldn't be in a relegation fight. 82 and for the following 20 years or so we had little money and no expectation of ever going beyond the odd season in the second tier.

We have wasted an opportunity to build on a brilliant season two years ago and continue to suffer under an administration that seems hell bent in persisting with failure in the hope somehow the players will have an epiphany that LJ MA SL and Mr Holden are right and 97% of everyone else is wrong.

That claws at my gut in a way that Fulham at home with teenagers and the years that followed never did.

Hope is all we had then, now I'm not sure we have even that, beyond the epiphany!

1960maan made a similar point earlier in this thread.

It's quite right that 35 odd years ago we had no expectations at all but after the transfer dealings last summer expectations were high but it just hasn't panned out.

Its so very disappointing.

2 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Agreed. Set us up for about 4 years of utter rubbish! Dire football too

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

not even close,

not playing lita in the play-off final, not strengthening the squad when we were pushing for promotion, appointing tony pulis as manager, appointing steve coppel as manager appointing shaun o'driscal as manager, buy a brick, all far worse then this season

Not even close?

I'm struggling to think of any mitigating circumstances, let alone any other clubs with the resources we have. 

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Ok we had a good period after with Cotts then reverted to type. 

Don't get me wrong, the sad realisation of our complete lack footballing direction, leadership or mamagement that this season has brought, has killed me inside. 

16 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Lansdown has made mistakes but look at what he has done for the club. Where would we be without his money?

Be careful what you wish for Steve Lansdown has the interests of this club in his heart, if he were to throw the towel in I hate to think what a mess we would be in or what our new owners would be like.

SL`

16 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Yet I remember those days and the fans calling for TC's head after being given money to spend to get us out of the 3rd Div and we got worse, and then he was sacked. I think people see the past with rose-tinted glasses, there aren't many managers who've been here who haven't had the fans calling for them to be sacked at some stage. 

Yep, "Dicks out" was a familiar chant well before we were promoted to the top division!

On 16/03/2017 at 10:16, cidered abroad said:

It's certainly the worst I can remember since I started in April 1950. But a trawl through David Woods Complete Record 1894-1987 has revealed that 1931-32 was worse.

We won only three games out of the first thirty two in Division Two. Then picked up and won three in the last ten. We were relegated in bottom place with 6 wins, 11 draws and 25 defeats.

Clubs in Div Two that season included Spurs, Southampton, PNE, Wolves, Burnley, Plymouth, Oldham and Barnsley. Also in Div Two were Man U and isn't it ironic that we did the double over them. 1-0 away in front of 4.697 fans and 2-1 at home with a gate of 5,874. Oh how the mighty have fallen since then.

And for all the happy clappers who think that if, as now seems probable, that we go down this season, it took us twenty three years to get out of Div 3 (South). Some of you may be quite old if that is repeated.

Although there was the little matter of a world war during that time to complicate things...........

It's not the worst season for league position,  paucity of wins  (we notched up quite a few early season) or quality of football.

It might be the worst in terms of early expectation shattered. 

On 16/03/2017 at 10:43, Robbored said:

If the op was thinking that this season has the worst manger ever he was wrong on that to.

Pulls, Osman, Lumbsden, Tinnion and Benny all spring to mind.

Junior has far better resources than the others did so in my mind it's a poor reflection on him that he's so far failed to get the best out of his considerable size squad. The other poor managers would have given up a limb for the same quality in their squads.

Its simply inexcusable that City should be in DZ........:facepalm:

Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Archived