IGNORED

Cyclone Debbie

AirlieBeachRed

34 minutes ago, AirlieBeachRed said:

Gonna be a big 24 hours with Cyclone Debbie approaching. Is starting to get windy. As prepared as we can be now. Must admit am as nervous as hell. 

IMG_1787.JPG

Been through a few myself when I lived in Qld and can be scarey. Remember once seeing a garden shed literally fly pass our kitchen window when we were in Noosa.

Good luck and stay safe.

7 hours ago, AirlieBeachRed said:

Gees was a horrendous 36 hours with winds up to 265 km/hour. Never experienced anything close to it. The noise was so loud. She travelled directly over us and the damage around town is quite bad. Saw big trees just snapped like a toothpick just outside the window. Nature is a powerful thing :laugh:

Just glad you`re OK mate - I did think of you when BBC said it had crossed the coast right on Airlie Beach!

Something to tell the grandchildren about though.

• Admin
On 3/30/2017 at 06:31, AirlieBeachRed said:

Gees was a horrendous 36 hours with winds up to 265 km/hour. Never experienced anything close to it. The noise was so loud. She travelled directly over us and the damage around town is quite bad. Saw big trees just snapped like a toothpick just outside the window. Nature is a powerful thing :laugh:

Can't imagine what it must be like to experience something like this - the main thing @AirlieBeachRed is that everyone was ok

I see this shark was 12 miles inland !!

A bull shark that washed up in Ayr

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

Can't imagine what it must be like to experience something like this - the main thing @AirlieBeachRed is that everyone was ok

I see this shark was 12 miles inland !!

A bull shark that washed up in Ayr

You would actually be surprised how far inland sharks can be found as they can survive quite well in brackish water. Bull sharks especially (like the one found) are unique as they can survive easily in fresh water also.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, BigTone said:

You would actually be surprised how far inland sharks can be found as they can survive quite well in brackish water. Bull sharks especially (like the one found) are unique as they can survive easily in fresh water also.

Except this was swept in with the storm not up a river 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

The power of nature can be scary stuff.  Below is Cyclone Tracey that hit Darwin on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 1974

tracey.jpg

tracey 1.jpg

All the really nasty storms are named after women.

Why is that?

:noexp:

tfj  :protest:

Cyclone Althea was another big one that hit Queensland (Tracey hit the Northern Territory) around Christmas 1971. The cyclone season generally last 3 months so should now be almost at an end.  Brisbane itself is not subject to cyclones as the "cyclonic area" is taken as being north of latitude 27 deg (or is it 29) which runs through Caboolture to the North of Brissie. When a cyclone has hit land it is classed as a rain depression once it gets 50km inland because it will have lost most of it's intensity at this stage other than it just pisses rain. A cyclone is at it's most dangerous when it first hits land (ie: the coast)

How do I know this useless info ?  I worked for a company that supplied the design software to roof truss manufacturers throughout Oz so is a subject close to my heart. I myself have experienced several and it is not nice. Debbie seemed to be especially bad tempered. Glad to hear Airliebeachred is ok.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Cyclone Althea was another big one that hit Queensland (Tracey hit the Northern Territory) around Christmas 1971. The cyclone season generally last 3 months so should now be almost at an end.  Brisbane itself is not subject to cyclones as the "cyclonic area" is taken as being north of latitude 27 deg (or is it 29) which runs through Caboolture to the North of Brissie. When a cyclone has hit land it is classed as a rain depression once it gets 50km inland because it will have lost most of it's intensity at this stage other than it just pisses rain. A cyclone is at it's most dangerous when it first hits land (ie: the coast)

How do I know this useless info ?  I worked for a company that supplied the design software to roof truss manufacturers throughout Oz so is a subject close to my heart. I myself have experienced several and it is not nice. Debbie seemed to be especially bad tempered. Glad to hear Airliebeachred is ok.

Would you like a weather station for Christmas this year?

tfj  :protest:

Archived