IGNORED

England v Lithuania

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Newquay-Red said:

Dele Alli never really seems to perform for England- he just becomes the master of hitting a weak cross into the palms of the goalkeeper

Thought he was our best player the other night

1 minute ago, Super said:

Thought he was our best player the other night

I think he did well last year when he first got introduced to the squad, and then he was awful in the Euros as he's a young lad with a lot of emotion in him and the end of the 2015/16 season would have still been afflicting him. I just don't understand why he's been the 'target man' this game- he has a leap in him from time to time but not enough to have the fullbacks keep drilling crosses to him

It's all just so pedestrian!!

I understand Lithuania have hardly come here to play free-flowing, attacking football but we just don't seem to play with any urgency & it's the same every time we play a team like this, we seem void of any ideas to unlock teams like this.

Surely by now, we are aware of what tactics the opposition are going to employ against us & we should have some form of idea as to how we are going to unlock such teams but it just seems like the mundane ideas all the time.

And we then only show any urgency when it finally dawns on the players that we aren't going to win at a canter, we need to be going all out from the first minute & if we get an early goal it'll mean the opposition has to change their game plan & come at us & that in turn will leave more room for us to exploit more easily.

The entertainment & excitement has long gone from the England team yet they are paid even more than ever before, yet the product they are paid to produce is becoming poorer than ever!!

6 minutes ago, Super said:

It doesnt help getting these piss easy groups every time. Every teams shows zero ambition against us. Would rather have a tougher group with far better teams.

Totally agree. They opposition make the games boring. I can't get excited about playing these teams. The same as I can't get excited when city draw Shrewsbury or someone like that in the cup. 

Is there an argument for some sort of pre-qualifying tournament with the second stage having fewer groups but the top two of each going through to the finals? Probably not as the big countries wouldn`t like it as they might not qualify and the smaller ones wouldn`t have their one huge game per qualifying campaign.

22 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I understand Lithuania have hardly come here to play free-flowing, attacking football but we just don't seem to play with any urgency & it's the same every time we play a team like this, we seem void of any ideas to unlock teams like this.

Surely by now, we are aware of what tactics the opposition are going to employ against us & we should have some form of idea as to how we are going to unlock such teams but it just seems like the mundane ideas all the time.

And we then only show any urgency when it finally dawns on the players that we aren't going to win at a canter, we need to be going all out from the first minute & if we get an early goal it'll mean the opposition has to change their game plan & come at us & that in turn will leave more room for us to exploit more easily.

The entertainment & excitement has long gone from the England team yet they are paid even more than ever before, yet the product they are paid to produce is becoming poorer than ever!!

Expected the theme, lesser team defending in numbers and an afternoon waiting for the first coat to be dry enough to apply the second coat ...

What would you do different? Play more far experience? Milner? Rooney when fit?

I think Mr Southgate is correct to concentrate on team building.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

It doesnt help getting these piss easy groups every time. Every teams shows zero ambition against us. Would rather have a tougher group with far better teams.

But that comes about because of the seedings & because FIFA / UEFA want every country that has a person living in it to take part. 

I don't know what the answer is, some of the smaller nations are definitely improving on past performances but it's just not adding anything to the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good for the game that these smaller nations aren't getting hammered by the bigger nations as often as they used to but it's making the game dull & boring or is this only an issue with England games? Are the other footballing elite nations not having so much of an issue as England are? Is it our game that needs looking at & sorting out, rather than the worlds game?

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just noticed a massive Bath city flag behind the goal. Got seahorse written on it . Is there a pub called that in bath . Not aware of one 

There's a 'Dark Horse' and a 'White Horse'. Could it be either of those?

Edit: Just realised its the Livi one (Livingston) which was also at the Germany game. 

38 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Commentator said their fees were going to the charity of their choice tonight,  which I believe he said is bowel cancer, the same decease that Bobby Moore died from.

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Expected the theme, lesser team defending in numbers and an afternoon waiting for the first coat to be dry enough to apply the second coat ...

What would you do different? Play more far experience? Milner? Rooney when fit?

I think Mr Southgate is correct to concentrate on team building.

No, I'd definitely go against playing more experience, they seem to play with more fear, as I said in an earlier post, I'd much rather play players from less fashionable clubs who are in form & will enjoy representing their country but they have to be sent out with the message of playing with no fear.

Let them showcase what they can do on the big stage, it will only enhance their reputations.

I guess part of the problem is our media coverage, constantly being on the players backs & putting too much pressure on them but how do we stop that?

I just wish we could allow the likes of Rashford to go out there & take players on with his pace, we constantly hear how good the youth of our country is but very seldom do they get a proper opportunity.

Can someone explain why we played with 3 interchanging number 10's? No real width in attack? Lithuania were always going to pack out their defence so we looked to tiki-taka through the middle which was totally congested. Stick 1 player on each sideline & stretch the pitch as wide as we can, that would then provide more space through the channels for the runners, no?

4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Commentator said their fees were going to the charity of their choice tonight,  which I believe he said is bowel cancer, the same decease that Bobby Moore died from.

That's correct and they have been doing so for the past 10 years so credit where credit is due.

Below from a national newspaper in 2007:

"The charities set to benefit include the Association of Children's Hospices, WellChild, the Bobby Moore Fund and the Professional Footballers Association Charity Initiatives"

7 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I guess this comment wasn't aimed towards me?

I did hear that & it's apparently something that the players have been doing for the last 10 years, good on them.

42 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

No, I'd definitely go against playing more experience, they seem to play with more fear, as I said in an earlier post, I'd much rather play players from less fashionable clubs who are in form & will enjoy representing their country but they have to be sent out with the message of playing with no fear.

Let them showcase what they can do on the big stage, it will only enhance their reputations.

I guess part of the problem is our media coverage, constantly being on the players backs & putting too much pressure on them but how do we stop that?

I just wish we could allow the likes of Rashford to go out there & take players on with his pace, we constantly hear how good the youth of our country is but very seldom do they get a proper opportunity.

Can someone explain why we played with 3 interchanging number 10's? No real width in attack? Lithuania were always going to pack out their defence so we looked to tiki-taka through the middle which was totally congested. Stick 1 player on each sideline & stretch the pitch as wide as we can, that would then provide more space through the channels for the runners, no?

A youthful England's  looked decent v Germany in a friendly with teams opening up. England v Lithuania struggled, a struggle.

Stretching the pitch is ineffectual as the opposition do not have to budge from the narrow shape. There are no channels with two banks of deep players putting ten men behind the ball in the last third.

A way to beat congested last thirds is via high tempo interpassing.

Another way is target men and crossing ... A road to nowhere for England.

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Totally agree. They opposition make the games boring. I can't get excited about playing these teams. The same as I can't get excited when city draw Shrewsbury or someone like that in the cup. 

What, currently we have the opportunity of two cup draws a season, where has your hope and expection gone?

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

A youthful England's  looked decent v Germany in a friendly with teams opening up. England v Lithuania struggled, a struggle.

Stretching the pitch is ineffectual as the opposition do not have to budge from the narrow shape. There are no channels with two banks of deep players putting ten men behind the ball in the last third.

A way to beat congested last thirds is via high tempo interpassing.

Another way is target men and crossing ... A road to nowhere for England.

But with wide attackers (wingers) keeping their positions, if the full-backs aren't going to mark them it gives us the route round the back.

If the full-backs are going to mark, it will allow channels for runners from deep for the high-tempo, interpassing you are suggesting.

It's also a case of whoever plays up front makes moves away from the goal we are attacking to help draw the centre-halves out, to allow space in behind.

Of course, this is also dependent on what formation is played, why we continue to play 4 at the back against teams that may not even play one up front is beyond me, even a 3 at the back would of been a waste today but this is where defenders being comfortable on the ball come into it, we could have got away without  Bertrand & just left Stones with Dier, both comfortable but both could of easily covered at the back today but there is too much emphasis on set formations, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3, 3-5-2 etc but there was no need for it today.

We could of even encouraged them to be a bit more attacking if we 'dangled a carrot' in front of them but that's the fear factor football that we are playing because of the media.

4 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

What, currently we have the opportunity of two cup draws a season, where has your hope and expection gone?

If we draw a shite team in the cup, I'm thinking that's great, we should get through. I'm also, slightly delusional I know, but I'm also thinking how many goals we gonna score? I just can't get excited against crap opposition. :(

Archived