IGNORED

Sound of the City tonight

Vincent Vega

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

I was on with Matt Withers, who writes the City Fans View column in the Bristol Post and Pete Denyard.

It was great fun in a cathartic kind of way.

Mark Tovey

Fair play to you, it's difficult to be coherent and to the point in a situation like that and I thought the show kind of emphasised a lot of what we all see as issues.

14 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just wish GT was allowed to give a more honest assessment of the City coach and management. 

Unfortunately, BCFC can't cope with criticism and would veto honest journalism. 

He didn't argue against the points though, did he?

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He didn't argue against the points though, did he?

No. 

But I wish he'd express an opinion, as the ex pro he is. 

Can't think of a time where he's criticised anyone other than the players. A few generic comments along the lines of "most other managers would probably have lost their job" but nothing terribly insightful about his opinion of LJ. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

No. 

But I wish he'd express an opinion, as the ex pro he is. 

Can't think of a time where he's criticised anyone other than the players. A fee generic comments along the lines of "most other managers would probably have lost their job" but nothing terribly insightful about his opinion of LJ. 

he's trying to be as diplomatic as possible. He is more likely to interview LJ and co than the players

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

he's trying to be as diplomatic as possible. He is more likely to interview LJ and co than the players

Rather he was a bit more "Alan Green". 

Why the need for diplomacy? 

If he's allowed to praise the club, he should be allowed to provide a decent critique of it's shortcomings. 

He doesn't need to be their friend. 

I remember being at various away games in the past where we've got a win and the local BBC presenters have been scathing about the home team/club . I like GT , he does ask searching questions but on Saturday a caller asked his opinion and he ducked the question. Perhaps he's not allowed to have a public opinion . 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I remember being at various away games in the past where we've got a win and the local BBC presenters have been scathing about the home team/club . I like GT , he does ask searching questions but on Saturday a caller asked his opinion and he ducked the question. Perhaps he's not allowed to have a public opinion . 

That isn't his job though, is it?

What exactly is the point of someone phoning up a radio programme to give their opinion and then asking the presenter what he thinks?

For what it is worth I think the overall standard of sports journalism in Bristol, both written and on the radio is amongst the very worst in the country, far worse even than the football that we have to endure, Geoff Twentyman however is an honourable exception to this rule.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What exactly is the point of someone phoning up a radio programme to give their opinion and then asking the presenter what he thinks?

For what it is worth I think the overall standard of sports journalism in Bristol, both written and on the radio is amongst the very worst in the country, far worse even than the football that we have to endure, Geoff Twentyman however is an honourable exception to this rule.

Spot on Graham - he's employed as a presenter not a pundit 

Real good bloke and excellent presenter, (and interviewer when he's allowed) as far as I'm concerned 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don't limit it to sports journalism, local journalism in this part of the world is nothing short of woeful, anyone whose not terrible stands out like a sore thumb

Just now, GrahamC said:

I agree graham he is , I'm just comparing with other local stations I've heard around the country. It's awkward for GT obviously  , it's just we're all caught up in it so it would be nice to hear an ex pro's opinion of our situation and as someone who's on the outside looking in as it were . 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on Graham - he's employed as a presenter not a pundit 

Real good bloke and excellent presenter, (and interviewer when he's allowed) as far as I'm concerned 

I've held him in high regard even since his dark days playing for the evil empire, simply because of how he's is personally 

41 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Rather he was a bit more "Alan Green". 

Why the need for diplomacy? 

If he's allowed to praise the club, he should be allowed to provide a decent critique of it's shortcomings. 

He doesn't need to be their friend. 

SL & Ashton only want yes men in & around them so a pity Geoff can't upset the apple cart a bit without them probably banning him. If LJ was a donkey he'd have been put out of his misery by now as useless, incoherent in that he is a complete hypocrite-  i.e. don't blame the players blame me as I pick them or try to and then slags off individuals etc etc

4 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

47 posts of nothing to be perfectly honest.  More about GT than City.  What was said on the show!?

Unanimous "think we'll go down" from the guests. 

LJ has tried everything and makes changes at the wrong time, just when players are proving themselves. 

Total bemusement at where we are really. 

And they had snippets with LJ. They were riveting. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Unanimous "think we'll go down" from the guests. 

LJ has tried everything and makes changes at the wrong time, just when players are proving themselves. 

Total bemusement at where we are really. 

And they had snippets with LJ. They were riveting. 

As we are back on topic, I have to agree with the guests that we will go down.

I was like a lot of others jubilant at the result versus Huddersfield and even more so with the performance. Then we play like we did against Brentford and could have got a real walloping in the first half. I look at our remaining games and difficult to see where we are going to scrape the points from. On the other hand this is the Championship so the only surprises now seem to be that we are still surprised by what happens in the Championship! Bracing myself for more torture tonight!

• Admin
26 minutes ago, supercidered said:

As we are back on topic, I have to agree with the guests that we will go down.

I was like a lot of others jubilant at the result versus Huddersfield and even more so with the performance. Then we play like we did against Brentford and could have got a real walloping in the first half. I look at our remaining games and difficult to see where we are going to scrape the points from. On the other hand this is the Championship so the only surprises now seem to be that we are still surprised by what happens in the Championship! Bracing myself for more torture tonight!

Sadly - exactly the same thoughts as me

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I said we'll stay up. But its more in the hope that the players show their ability rather than taking inspiration from our leader.

In my opinion a number of players don't respect Johnson's game plans and that's distracting them on the pitch.

My mistake. Indeed you did. 

18 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I said we'll stay up. But its more in the hope that the players show their ability rather than taking inspiration from our leader.

In my opinion a number of players don't respect Johnson's game plans and that's distracting them on the pitch.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this opinion.

I hope common sense prevails and we get enough points to stay up especially considering the fantastic double winning season to get us here in the first place.

12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

My mistake. Indeed you did. 

The thing is CR, we'd all love to be proved wrong about Lee Johnson. Everyone wants to see the team and head coach succeed and hate the current scenario, regardless of our differing opinions.

Lets all just pray we survive. Our fans will carry on providing the wonderful support we see each week whatever happens.

18 hours ago, B block said:

Don't limit it to sports journalism, local journalism in this part of the world is nothing short of woeful, anyone whose not terrible stands out like a sore thumb

The Daily Express used to be My favourite paper when I was living in England. 

I was truly shocked at how low the quality of that paper is now . 

There is a general ' dumbing ' down in society and it makes me want to scream out 

:gaah:

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The Daily Express used to be My favourite paper when I was living in England. 

I was truly shocked at how low the quality of that paper is now . 

There is a general ' dumbing ' down in society and it makes me want to scream out 

:gaah:

The world is getting dumber no doubt about it.. Look who gets elected in some of these banana republics these days just for starters.

Archived