IGNORED

It's Our club Mr Lansdown

Elruliri

4 hours ago, Bullbag said:

The SL worshipers on here thinking he's the messiah.

One day yuo will wake up and smell the coffee and see he is not all that.

And that is half the problem with these kind of debates...they get polarised in to either believing SL is the messiah, or is just a very naughty boy.

A lot of us I suspect sit closer to the middle. Of course part of me yearns for the clubs and football of yesteryear, but most clubs are now owned by somebody or other. Are their calls he has made I disagree with in 20/20 hindsight? Sure. Equally, I believe we could do an awful lot worse.

I believe part of why the spotlight has in some ways started being shined on him is because he has backed LJ. By far the 'easy' route was to sack him. I would have twisted, but ultimately the decision has to rest somewhere, and it is with SL. LJ has been extremely lucky with the support the owner has given him. There are worse crimes.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I was thinking this yesterday, obviously Blackburn lost Jack Walker for the worst reason, but it does seem like Dave Whelan has lost interest (or run out of spare cash) at Wigan, and look where they are right now. 

Dave Whelan resigned in 2015.His Grandson now runs the club (at the ripe old age of 25). Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to run a Football Club when I'm 80.

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Dave Whelan resigned in 2015.His Grandson now runs the club (at the ripe old age of 25). Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to run a Football Club when I'm 80.

Thank you, I thought that was the case, but the great God Wikipedia still had him down as owner? 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was thinking this yesterday, obviously Blackburn lost Jack Walker for the worst reason, but it does seem like Dave Whelan has lost interest (or run out of spare cash) at Wigan, and look where they are right now. 

I'm pretty neutral on Steve Lansdown, nice enough chap in my limited experience. I think he risked alienating some people yesterday. We've had a poor season, he's firmly wedded to a manager who's presided over the worst run of results in our history and in whom he can see things that others can't. By his own admission that's not popular with everyone.

But if the case against him is overstated the case for him ain't that strong in terms of achievements on the pitch, which frankly, is what I'm most interested in. To date he's achieved little more than his predecessors as the holder of the reins at BCFC. We got to the playoff finals almost a decade ago. Other than that we've had the same yo-yo second/third tier existence we've had for much of our history. He's got a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Walker (Prem. Championship) or Dave Whelan (FA Cup)...

Just now, Red Exile said:

I'm pretty neutral on Steve Lansdown, nice enough chap in my limited experience. I think he risked alienating some people yesterday. We've had a poor season, he's firmly wedded to a manager who's presided over the worst run of results in our history and in whom he can see things that others can't. By his own admission that's not popular with everyone.

But if the case against him is overstated the case for him ain't that strong in terms of achievements on the pitch, which frankly, is what I'm most interested in. To date he's achieved little more than his predecessors as the holder of the reins at BCFC. We got to the playoff finals almost a decade ago. Other than that we've had the same yo-yo second/third tier existence we've had for much of our history. He's got a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Walker (Prem. Championship) or Dave Whelan (FA Cup)...

But they just threw money at the task which they were able to do until the rules were changed.

53 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

In my lifetime Bristol City were never overly financially stable. I started going to Ashton Gate in 1971,,,,, and I well remember the "no buy, no sell" policy. Fortunately Clubs cant do that these days. Even the glory years of the 70's led the the very near destruction of the club.

Later fans laughed at Russell Osman.... who was given about 30pence to spend by our beloved Chairman...David Russe. To be fair to Osman, he achieved a massive amount despite having to put up with the likes of Henry McKop in the squad.

In recent years Steve Lansdown turned up. I don't agree with everything he does, but this club (in my lifetime) has never been more financially stable.

I agree with most of what you say but am puzzled by your reference to"no buy, no sell".

I've never heard that phrase in respect to City but it was Rovers policy throughout the Bert Tann days in 1950's.

True there wasn't much cash around for AD throughout his time at City so we got some really questionable signings at times.

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But they just threw money at the task which they were able to do until the rules were changed.

Fair enough...all I'm observing is that whilst I'm delighted that he's not an owner to rank with the worst in the land, he's not achieved much compared to the great local owners either. 

For all Steve Lansdown's talk of a positive outlook for "the project" it remains "work in progress" to use his words of yesterday, and "work in progress" pleas for patience have, in my view, been far more characteristic of the the Lansdown years than tangible achievements on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with most of what you say but am puzzled by your reference to"no buy, no sell".

I've never heard that phrase in respect to City but it was Rovers policy throughout the Bert Tann days in 1950's.

True there wasn't much cash around for AD throughout his time at City so we got some really questionable signings at times.

as I recall it, it was a policy that coughed out of the building of The Dolman Stand...it cost a lot of money and the club were potless (not for the only time in its history)

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This is true. Part of SL's "problem" is he is 20 years too late. Madjeski was another who got in there and used his dosh to massively transform a nothing club. Not sure if he spent millions on players like Jack Walker though. SL is unlucky he was throwing money at it as the restrictions came in. However, if he had been backing us to this extent before clubs like Blackburn, Reading, Wigan and Bolton transformed themselves with big budgets and new grounds, or as they were doing it, he would still have needed to make smart choices with things like coach recruitment. Not convinced it wouldn't have been the same let-down

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

With "supporters" like you, who needs rivals..?!

You don't know how lucky we are. Or would you prefer the Venkeys/Wally/Vincent Tan etc..? 

I very much imagine that your late grandfather would have been over the moon at the thought of a genuine City fan, Bristolian Billionaire owner, who'd just spent £50million on rebuilding Ashton Gate and is always happy to support our managers with a seemingly open cheque book. 

Seriously, get a grip! Or start your own multi billion pound company and then show us all how much of a better job you can do. 

Nobody is doubting his love for the club and we are extremely grateful for the money he has spent over the years. However, his footballing decisions have been pretty dire to say the least, as has the board too.

If you look at other clubs like Barnsley, Preston, Ipswich, Brentford and Hudds. They've spent next to nothing and have a tight budget, yet have been miles ahead of us. Think that deserves some answers don't you? 

Without Tammy, we would be dead and buried like Rotherham and that frankly is not good enough. 

But of course if you're happy with that then SL will love you..

I do believe that SL wants the best for the club. There is no doubting his investment. In terms of infrastructure he has dragged us from the dark ages. Do I think he is passionate about the club? No..at least not in the way many of us are. I did think he was fairly benign and harmless but his foolhardy interview actually shows that he is very ruthless and will do things his way. I get that he wants stability in terms of managers, that is admirable and will bring improvement if,big if, the manager is the correct one. I still think we will be OK under the Stewardship of the Lansdowns as long as we dont believe all the Hyperbole they feed us. 

Just wish Des Williams had been as rich as Lansdown.....then we would have had a world Class bloke at the helm.

On 09/04/2017 at 10:57, robin_unreliant said:

Eh?

I think you will find that legally it is his club in as much as he owns most of the shares.

I have to say I struggle to get this feeling while I acknowledge many fans express it. Let's compare it to your local pub. You spend a lot of money there. You go week in and week out, regardless of who 'owns' the building, for recreational enjoyment. Do you therefore have the right to say it's 'your' pub? I don't think you do. If you don't like the price of beer or the sticky carpets bog off to another pub. What's the difference in all honesty?

But if someone came in and 'improved it' at the expense of its character and charm that you'd come to love and charged more for questionably 'better' drinks you'd be angry right? You can go to another pub but you leave behind friends and all the memories that come with the old pub. 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:53, Bar BS3 said:

I very much imagine that your late grandfather would have been over the moon at the thought of a genuine City fan, Bristolian Billionaire owner, who'd just spent £50million on rebuilding Ashton Gate and is always happy to support our managers with a seemingly open cheque book. 

Well known gas head before buying City. Suggest you pop into Marlwood Secondary School near Severn Beach. Huge photo of him in there wearing a rovers top.

Oh for the good old days.  Bring back rationing, rickets, scurvy, the three day week, strikes, the cold war, and the days City were in Division One and the world was a happier place.  

Or move on.  What happened in the past is gone.  We are where we are and God knows it could be a lot worse. And I think it's worth remembering  that for everything  they have got wrong both SL and LJ were involved in the bringing of Tammy Abraham here this season and where would  we be now if they hadn't.

56 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Well known gas head before buying City. Suggest you pop into Marlwood Secondary School near Severn Beach. Huge photo of him in there wearing a rovers top.

Yeah, he's behaved like a die hard Rovers fan, hasn't he..?! 

9 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Oh for the good old days.  Bring back rationing, rickets, scurvy, the three day week, strikes, the cold war, and the days City were in Division One and the world was a happier place.  

Or move on.  What happened in the past is gone.  We are where we are and God knows it could be a lot worse. And I think it's worth remembering  that for everything  they have got wrong both SL and LJ were involved in the bringing of Tammy Abraham here this season and where would  we be now if they hadn't.

Relegated weeks ago.

Our entire season has been saved by a player that will not be here next.

Quite a sobering thought.

I would also cast doubt on the notion that LJ would have had the connections or pulling power to have had much to do with bringing Tammy here.

On 09/04/2017 at 10:57, ricardob59 said:

It will 'always be' our club....:chant6ez:

But unfortunately as SL has the :yawn:money, it's our club in his control..

Yep were luck we could have a Venkys etc... 

But we have to remember that;

Its one mans dream to replicate what he saw in Barcelona & the football club we all grew up with is now part of the Bristol Sport franchise..

We have a lovely ground & facilities to be proud of..

But we are having to accept SL will do what HE thinks & what HE feels is best for clubs within BS..

My concern has always been - jobs for boys that will allow him to keep control of all things (inc on field activities)

We will never appoint a manager who wants to manage 'his way' (Stuart Pearce...!)

Jobs for boys - throughout - Tinnion.... MacCallister.. and of course LJ..

So enjoy our club...........

What is it with this franchise crap . I may be off the mark what a franchise is but Bristol sport doesn't own us. Bristol sport is a management / promotion company dealing with everything commercial, plus we are older than  BS so we ain't a off spring of BS if anything BS is a franchise of BCFC. 

Some good thoughts but glossary red not going to a game until SL leaves??! Is that real. Did you ever go? Your leaving means nowt to me but when someone who has given us the support, his money, a stadium, a big squad of players etc ie Bristol City is being called into question it really is time you leave the Forum as well as the support Base.

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

What is it with this franchise crap . I may be off the mark what a franchise is but Bristol sport doesn't own us. Bristol sport is a management / promotion company dealing with everything commercial, plus we are older than  BS so we ain't a off spring of BS if anything BS is a franchise of BCFC. 

Please be better informed before sounding off.  You are, of course, not alone in failing to understand the massive danger BS is or the antediluvian governance embraced by SL.

Those who agree with me are as unlikely to convince you and those who agree with you as you are us.  

We just have to agree we all want the very best for City but disagree about the current governance structure and long term aims of SL and BS

Time will tell which group got it right.  In many ways I would like to be proved wrong but I just don't honestly believe I will be

38 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Please be better informed before sounding off.  You are, of course, not alone in failing to understand the massive danger BS is or the antediluvian governance embraced by SL.

Those who agree with me are as unlikely to convince you and those who agree with you as you are us.  

We just have to agree we all want the very best for City but disagree about the current governance structure and long term aims of SL and BS

Time will tell which group got it right.  In many ways I would like to be proved wrong but I just don't honestly believe I will be

All I'm trying to understand Ivor is the definition of what a franchise really is. If we've been around for 120 years then how can we be a franchise of a company that's only been  around for 3 or 4 years ? 

17 hours ago, NickJ said:

Relegated weeks ago.

Our entire season has been saved by a player that will not be here next.

Quite a sobering thought.

I would also cast doubt on the notion that LJ would have had the connections or pulling power to have had much to do with bringing Tammy here.

How did it happen then? All the quotes from both clubs and from Tammy himself suggest there was a lot of hard work put in by LJ and MA to push the deal through. 

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Marlwood is in Alveston. Can't say I've ever heard of this photo before....

It certainly wasn't there when I was st school at Marlwood between 91-97!! I've also never heard any of the younger lads who I know went there talk about it either

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How did it happen then? All the quotes from both clubs and from Tammy himself suggest there was a lot of hard work put in by LJ and MA to push the deal through. 

I think it more likely that somebody with more contacts than LJ would have had the initial contact with Chelsea.

Des Taylor, I'd say more likely?

After the initial contact, of course others would take over and push it through. MA would look pretty silly if he didn't, given that's his job. From the initial contact, the fact that LJ and MA are employees of a major city Championship club would have been more significant than their personal pull, IMO.

Just now, NickJ said:

I think it more likely that somebody with more contacts than LJ would have had the initial contact with Chelsea.

Des Taylor, I'd say more likely?

After the initial contact, of course others would take over and push it through. MA would look pretty silly if he didn't, given that's his job. From the initial contact, the fact that LJ and MA are employees of a major city Championship club would have been more significant than their personal pull, IMO.

I am sure there were a lot of people involved, but I don't think it's fair (like that's a problem on OTIB!) to underplay the part that LJ played. His presentation to the Chelsea Management, his time spent with Tammy and his family must have been influential. With Chelsea having so many suitors for their best players, everything that was done would have been a key part of the jigsaw.

Archived