IGNORED

Mervyn Day new Head Scout

CyderInACan

My understanding was that Mervyn Day was already scouting La Liga and Ligue 1 for us, after replacing Matthieu Louis-Jean (the guy who found Kodjia) when he left us for Man U.

I thought therefore he was only filling in behind Des Taylor since January until a permanent chief scout was found?

Someone who knows far more about the behind the scenes stuff than me presumably knows?

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My understanding was that Mervyn Day was already scouting La Liga and Ligue 1 for us, after replacing Matthieu Louis-Jean (the guy who found Kodjia) when he left us for Man U.

I thought therefore he was only filling in behind Des Taylor since January until a permanent chief scout was found?

Someone who knows far more about the behind the scenes stuff than me presumably knows?

So our two previous top scouts have left to go to Man Utd and Liverpool!? We must at least be recruiting well off the field if nothing else. I'm also struggling to believe that there could've been a mis-understanding between City/Taylor as to what "type" of player we'd be going for, unless the interview as spent chatting obout cars or food SURELY our recruitmpolicy would be the first thing you'd try to find common ground on!? FFS. 

10 hours ago, Cider_boy said:

IIRC he suggested that Taylor wanted to do something different to SL/LJ.

Sounded to me as though Taylor wanted to scout good, but expensive players, whereas SL wants to buy cheap young players we can play once and then leave to rot in the ressies or loan back to Sweden. 

Fixed that for you......

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can I be the first to write him off based on the fact he doesn't have a 'modern name'.

I don't understand how someone with a more traditional name can possibly add to our seventy four pillars of success.

I will boo; etc etc.

He should be renamed Jay Zither Boko Haram, so he appeals to the young folks.

11 hours ago, Cider_boy said:

IIRC he suggested that Taylor wanted to do something different to SL/LJ.

Sounded to me as though Taylor wanted to scout good, but expensive players, whereas SL wants to buy cheap young players we can sell on at a profit after a year or two. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

So our two previous top scouts have left to go to Man Utd and Liverpool!? We must at least be recruiting well off the field if nothing else. I'm also struggling to believe that there could've been a mis-understanding between City/Taylor as to what "type" of player we'd be going for, unless the interview as spent chatting obout cars or food SURELY our recruitmpolicy would be the first thing you'd try to find common ground on!? FFS. 

Suggests to me that he has links with agents who like a nice slice of the pie, like in the rumours around the total fee for Engvall? Liverpool may be prepared to pay that more than Mr Lansdown? 

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It says he's doing it in the short term.

Says to me that City are going to recruit a replacement for DT and that Day isn't that  man . 

So his Days are numbered and hes only been with us for a matter of days?

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Looks like he's replaced Taylor then and presumably knows Ashton from his time at WBA? Scouting for Baggies and Brighton isn't a bad CV I guess, and presumably he "fits the club" unlike Des. 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-reveals-how-bristol-25435

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Day

Ashton left WBA 10 years before Day joined them, so no real link there...

11 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Didn't realise we'd recruited and then sacked the ex Wales and Derby midfielder. LJ isn't messing around. 

Shame we didn't recruit Mervyn Hughes instead though - at least we'd be able to sledge the opposition decently. 

Ahh Merv the Swerve, doesn't he hold the record for the most tinnies drunk on a flight from Australia to England?

2 hours ago, Y usted said:

Ahh Merv the Swerve, doesn't he hold the record for the most tinnies drunk on a flight from Australia to England?

Good bloke is our Mervyn, spent some time recently visiting our primary school sports day. Also has a fishing show on tv.

20161104_091928-1.jpg

On 13/04/2017 at 20:42, Bristol Rob said:

Can I be the first to write him off based on the fact he doesn't have a 'modern name'.

I don't understand how someone with a more traditional name can possibly add to our seventy four pillars of success.

I will boo; etc etc.

Day is so yesterday

Archived