IGNORED

Mervyn Day new Head Scout

CyderInACan

Looks like he's replaced Taylor then and presumably knows Ashton from his time at WBA? Scouting for Baggies and Brighton isn't a bad CV I guess, and presumably he "fits the club" unlike Des. 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-reveals-how-bristol-25435

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Day

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Looks like he's replaced Taylor then and presumably knows Ashton from his time at WBA? Scouting for Baggies and Brighton isn't a bad CV I guess, and presumably he "fits the club" unlike Des. 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-reveals-how-bristol-25435

Didn't realise Des Taylor was sacked! Thought he had left…?

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Didn't realise Des Taylor was sacked! Thought he had left…?

First time I've seen the sacked word....begs the question why?

Must be true, it's in the Post.

I met him when he was either playing or coaching at Leeds approx 20 years ago. My Leeds supporting mate was presented a signed football by him and he took the trouble to have a beer with us at h/t. Seemed a friendly guy and was puzzled that I'd gone all the way upto Elland Road from Bristol to watch Leeds/Fulham. City couldn't have had a fixture. 

23 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

First time I've seen the sacked word....begs the question why?

Must be true, it's in the Post.

Lansdown suggested in the Radio Bristol interview last week that the departure of Taylor was a good deal more acrimonious than that of Pembridge.  He didn't expand, but it sounded as though there had been a major falling out.

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Can I be the first to write him off based on the fact he doesn't have a 'modern name'.

I don't understand how someone with a more traditional name can possibly add to our seventy four pillars of success.

I will boo; etc etc.

boring!

7 minutes ago, redapple said:

I met him when he was either playing or coaching at Leeds approx 20 years ago. My Leeds supporting mate was presented a signed football by him and he took the trouble to have a beer with us at h/t. Seemed a friendly guy and was puzzled that I'd gone all the way upto Elland Road from Bristol to watch Leeds/Fulham. City couldn't have had a fixture. 

good post. Agree with you - he is a lovely bloke or he was when I came across him in his west ham days. I wish him all the best for his time at city.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

It says he's doing it in the short term.

Says to me that City are going to recruit a replacement for DT and that Day isn't that  man . 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Lansdown suggested in the Radio Bristol interview last week that the departure of Taylor was a good deal more acrimonious than that of Pembridge.  He didn't expand, but it sounded as though there had been a major falling out.

Didn't realise we'd recruited and then sacked the ex Wales and Derby midfielder. LJ isn't messing around. 

Shame we didn't recruit Mervyn Hughes instead though - at least we'd be able to sledge the opposition decently. 

1 hour ago, redapple said:

Just goes to show how football has changed, you wouldn't find a goalkeeper having a beer at HT nowadays......................

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

IIRC he suggested that Taylor wanted to do something different to SL/LJ.

Sounded to me as though Taylor wanted to scout good, but expensive players, whereas SL wants to buy cheap young players we can sell on at a profit after a year or two. 

Just now, Cider_boy said:

IIRC he suggested that Taylor wanted to do something different to SL/LJ.

Sounded to me as though Taylor wanted to scout good, but expensive players, whereas SL wants to buy cheap young players we can sell on at a profit after a year or two. 

And Taylor probably saw signing Matty Taylor for £300k, parading him around the pitch and running an internal marketing campiaign around him as a bit cringe too.

By all account he's working for Liverpool now. Highly doubt he was sacked, he'd have to deliver a hell of an interview to get sacked from Bristol City then get a job at Liverpool.

49 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What's his previous connection to LJ or the club?

That's how it works, isn't it? 

Was with Ashton at WBA or somewhere else? Think I read that earlier in this thread, can't be bothered to check sorry

Archived