IGNORED

Best Tannoy Announcement Ever

Slack Bladder

From the mid 60s I worked for the company that supplied and maintained the Public Address system at the Gate, ( Tannoy is a manufactuers name of speakers and amplifiers !!! ), when Dennis Langley was the announcer. Anyway, when the Dolman Stand was completed and new speakers fitted it obviously had to be tested. The Regional Manager of our company was in attendance and had asked the local supervisor to purchase a typical football type record for test purposes. In those days the music input to the amplifier was a record turntable and for testing purposes brass / military band music was considered to produce outputs best for testing.

The supervisor went off to one of the local record shops in Bedminster and made the purchase. Unfortunately he knew nothing about football and must have grabbed the first football related cover of a vinyl LP that he saw. Record went on and the speakers blasted out in an empty stadium and Ashton was hit by the football chanting of " the referees a c***, the referees a c***, ee ay adio the referees a c***, on a quiet sunny summer late morning. It didn't last to long as the supervisor must have broke a sprint record going back down the tunnel and into the amlpifier room to switch off. We all fell about laughing as the LP contained about 20 of the most popular football crowd songs and chants of the time. However, the Regional Manager was not best pleased.

As for the current state of the public address don't get me started. It's all so simple :  you have an inut to the amplifier and the amplifier amplifies and outputs to the loudspeakers and the loudspeakers are adjusted to provide the required volume into the area they cover. The current excuse, for varying levels of sound, being used does not really hold up. They just can't be arsed to adjust each individual loudspeaker to the correct output to satisfactorily cover the designated areas. It is a bit of a trial and error process that has to be carried out by listenning to the speakers under match conditions and then setting the individual loudspeaker outputs.

At the start of 72/73 season the Dolman loudspeakers were far too loud. Alice Cooper's "School's out" was being played before the first kick off and those of us stood on the Open End had to cover our ears.

11 hours ago, Tim S said:

I used to have a BMW... (I'd love to say it was my own - but was a company car!) But one of the features was that the engine cut out when you stopped. One occasion, me and a couple of friends went to Elstree Studios in London to be in the audience for 8 out of 10 cats. I drove. We parked, went to the studio. Halfway through the show, Jimmy Carr had something said in his ear - the recording of the show stopped and he said "Which **** in the audience owns a BMW reg *********, you left your engine running!"
I had to get up and leave the studio very red faced. So trust me - its easily done! 

Even more awkward telling this story cos it was me that read that out on Friday!

This is a confession new to most people. That Peterborough game was one of my first as matchday DJ and on the PA ( I think it was the 2008/09 season). A call came through to reception saying that Mr Peter Barragh's wife had gone into labour and he needed to go home urgently. David Lloyd was on mic duty that night and was the one who made the announcement. It was only after the announcement that Dave and myself realised it was a prank.

The worst part was, turns out - the culprit was my brother (who sadly passed away in 2015). Im glad that Dave and the club saw the funny side! I was angry at my bro at the time for landing me in it - but looking back now, his sense of humour will live long in my memory from that night! 

Brilliant story. :)

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

At the start of 72/73 season the Dolman loudspeakers were far too loud. Alice Cooper's "School's out" was being played before the first kick off and those of us stood on the Open End had to cover our ears.

It's ear shattering before every home game now, can't hear yourself speak.:bruce_h4h:

59 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Easy if you're a cranker...

My dad used to have one of those, in fact we had two in a row.  You needed to be Geoff Capes to operate the clutch and steering.

The Skoda Estelle we had afterwards was so much better, rear engine and rear wheel drive with no weight over the front wheels, you could look like Tommi Makinen on a slightly damp roundabout once you'd mastered the thing.

I walked past a white BMW suv parked on the verge outside Wickes about an hour before kick-off, empty with the engine running.

Two coppers were standing by it then .............

Who says all BMW drivers are thick and ignorant - not me.

:me?:

tfj

6 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

I walked past a white BMW suv parked on the verge outside Wickes about an hour before kick-off, empty with the engine running.

Two coppers were standing by it then .............

Who says all BMW drivers are thick and ignorant - not me.

:me?:

tfj

A bit this one was it?

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived